Merkymerx's The Amazing Spider-Man Build using Sonjou's Pattern (Pic Heavy)

merkymerx

My first ever extensive build thread!

Spidey's been my #1 hero ever since I was four. I've always wanted to own a high quality costume especially after seeing the first Raimi film. Back then though I was a student who couldn't afford such a thing. However now that I'm working, I can finally afford to make my first one.

There's a whole lot of work involved in making a TASM suit. All those applying the texture using puff paint can attest to that.

The application itself isn't too hard. However, repeating the process a zillion times over is very strenuous. The hard part is, I have to finish applying all the textures within the next week and a half to prepare for sewing. I'll be debuting this costume at the end of the month for a convention our group's looking forward to.

Many thanks to the people here at theRPF who made this possible!

Sonjou - Pattern
Joelai - Frames / Lenses
Epilepticsquirl - Shooter model at Shapeways
Face Shell - AZSpidey

And of course, a huge thanks goes to McL34N, El Fett, Redtogusa, and Nick Fox for being huge inspirations.

Anyway, on to the pics!

7947432846_3684fa6097_z.jpg

Face shell from AZSpidey. I love how light it is! Seems easy to cut too.

Asics GEL Dirt Dog 3, trimmed and painted. All I have left to do is to color in the blue parts on the left shoe.

549703_3700335913257_1766143584_n.jpg

579854_3700337193289_711852839_n.jpg

548128_3700341953408_978020433_n.jpg

223988_3700342473421_1797709576_n.jpg

7947345980_475e42d77a_z.jpg

My pattern by Sonjou printed at Fabric on Demand. After sealing the deal with Sonjou, I decided that I wanted to have darker areas on the red sections just like Mclean's pattern. So before sending it to the printers, I spent a good deal of time working on the file in Photoshop to get the look I wanted. Everything turned out better than I expected when I finally got the print in hand.

There's a few inaccuracies to the pattern though that I failed to bring up during the approval process. But I'm very pleased with Sonjou's work!

7947345702_70090a0d43_z.jpg

Raw frames and lenses from Joelai. I am extremely happy with these! Joelai is such an amazing fellow too. I was only expecting him to include a pair of the lens material. Instead, I got 2 pairs and one that's cut out. He's the man to go to if any of you need frames and lenses :)

7947345034_0788f2a4cb_z.jpg

Here's one of the frames in its raw state. Can't wait to trim these up!

7947346238_ba46cb5db5_z.jpg

Lens material looks amazing. Joelai did such a good job with it! It reacts to light really similarly to the screen used pair.

7947345532_7f26ae9579_z.jpg

Web shooters from Shapeways (epilepticsquirl's models)

7947345306_dd7424c94d_z.jpg

I keep forgetting how small they are haha! Will be working on this after all the puff painting is done.

549619_3700342953433_1880603421_n.jpg

Bought more puff paint than I would probably need because these aren't available locally :( I also got some stretch fabric glue to attach the lenses (if I wouldn't magnetize them) and the back spider emblem.

The applicator bottles I'm using are great! If any of you want them, you can get them on eBay. Typing in "Plastic Needle Tip Applicator Bottle" will yield a lot of results.

Since I only got everything just this Monday, I've been working like a madman. I just wish I could skip work for a week to make lol! If only I had a few months to finish this *cries*

310433_3700332273166_1670220318_n.jpg

My first puff paint application was on the piece on the left. You can see I did some tests on the seam allowance.

7947463750_475f8ecbf3_b.jpg

Red sections of the left back piece done.

320165_3700330793129_1643155029_n.jpg

The arm was hell to do. The honeycomb pattern on the glove is also tinier than the rest. However I'm looking forward to working on the left one soon :D

396495_3700334873231_675210731_n.jpg

Difference of textured and untextured areas

249637_3700331713152_834553975_n.jpg

Did a quick test by clipping on the fabric to my mannequin's arm. Extremely happy with the outcome! Doesn't look like spandex anymore haha!

564468_3700328633075_212885416_n.jpg

The boot is undoubtedly the WORST part to puff paint since the texture size is much smaller. Those tiny hexagons on there don't seem to end T^T

I will be getting help from my friends to speed the puff paint process up.

Despite the tedious nature of this project, I'm enjoying it a lot as it makes me feel like Peter Parker. Finally getting to work on my dream costume!

Wish me luck, you guys! Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Re: Merkymerx's The Amazing Spider-Man Build (Pic Heavy)

Wow, the print turned out great! So, after you received the file from Sonjou you did some tweaking before printing? Really excited to see this sewed and painted!

Wow, the print turned out great! So, after you received the file from Sonjou you did some tweaking before printing? Really excited to see this sewed and painted!

I'm glad you think so, thank you! Yup I did some tweaking before having it printed. I manually darkened the sections where the red hexagons are.

Looks like a great start to your project , keep it up !

Thank you so much! :)

Great thread dude :)

You look well prepped

Where did you source all the puff paint & stretch fabric glue ? if you don't mind sharing

What paint did you use in the Asics? For the red and blue spots to be exact, its very cleanly done and spot on! I cant imagine regular acrylic would hold, could it?

What paint did you use in the Asics? For the red and blue spots to be exact, its very cleanly done and spot on! I cant imagine regular acrylic would hold, could it?

The red sections were done in 4 steps.

1. 1 layer basecoat of Tamiya Orange
2. 2 layers of Tamiya Red + Black acrylic
3. 1 layer of Tamiya Red
4. 1 layer of Games Workshop Khorne Red

The blue was painted Grumbacher acrylic paint. I'm not at home though so I can't recall what the exact shade was.

I'm planning to seal everything with a clearcoat afterwards. I am counting on some flaking / chipping though as Peter's shoes got all beat up while fighting Doc Connors later in the film :)

Last edited:

Damn dude!
I gotta say, those are the most accurate asics on the planet!!!!

Dude that is awesome work. My print just arrived today so it might take time to even look half as awesome as yours! :thumbsup Looking forward to seeing you in the convention! :)

Damn dude!
I gotta say, those are the most accurate asics on the planet!!!!

I'm glad the costumes designers went with shoes that are commercially available :)

Dude that is awesome work. My print just arrived today so it might take time to even look half as awesome as yours! :thumbsup Looking forward to seeing you in the convention! :)

It's nice to know someone locally is also doing a dye sub suit! May I ask who you got your print from? Looking forward to seeing your suit. I'm sure you'll do a great job! Your Iron Man builds are awesome! Will you be going to Cosplay Mania? :D

It's nice to know someone locally is also doing a dye sub suit! May I ask who you got your print from? Looking forward to seeing your suit. I'm sure you'll do a great job! Your Iron Man builds are awesome! Will you be going to Cosplay Mania? :D

I purchased mine from DamnGoodPaul. Thanks dude :) Yes. I'll try to look for ya there so we could chat about some things you're doing with your suit! I'm sure you'll do a great job with it! :thumbsup

Really great start man, look forward to seeing it finished, and nice to see someone actually post a progress thread on one of sonjou's pattern, looks brilliant. Keep it up!

Wow, what a progress thread! Best of luck on the build :thumbsup

I purchased mine from DamnGoodPaul. Thanks dude :) Yes. I'll try to look for ya there so we could chat about some things you're doing with your suit! I'm sure you'll do a great job with it! :thumbsup

Will you be in an Iron Man costume? I'll try to spot you as well haha.

Really great start man, look forward to seeing it finished, and nice to see someone actually post a progress thread on one of sonjou's pattern, looks brilliant. Keep it up!

Thank you! Sonjou really did a smashing job on the pattern!

Wow, what a progress thread! Best of luck on the build :thumbsup

Thanks a lot, man! :D

This is fantastic work! Can't wait to see how it turns out all sewn up/put together!

You beat me to it! I was waiting until I had a few more progress photos, but oh well =) I also have a Sonjou pattern printed by fabric on demand, and I'm using the same puffy paint, and the same applicator bottles, and some of your process pictures are identical to mine! I puffpainted the separate mask first, and put it together. I'm having trouble lining up the webs...Have you begun work on any part of the mask yet?

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back