Skyrim Steel Dagger (Pic Heavy & Completed!)

Mollins

I recieved a commission for the Steel Dagger (as well as the Hunter's Bow) from a customer for an Aela the Huntress costume a few weeks ago, with them being required for Eurogamer Expo in London.

I'm not almost finished with the steel dagger, all I need to do now is some weather and attaching the grip, which I will be doing tomorrow (hopefully), and will be able to get some finished up photos into this thread to go with the slew of WIP ones you're about to see now.

Since I was a dufus, and forgot to post up this thread whilst the blade was in production, I'm gonna do one big master post of it in progress, up to the state it's currently in, so there are going to be a lot of photos!

2pq3tsh.jpg

Here's the basic outline cut from some 5mm sintra, I drew up a blueprint of the entire blade on illustrator, then used it for my template through the build.

2dkjw35.jpg

32zthlf.jpg

Some preliminary shaping on the blade portion, looking soft here, but got sharper with some sanding using something more rigid to back the sandpaper.

2qu6gp2.jpg

30adue9.jpg

Here's the detail on the crossguard in progress, it was built up from (I think) 0.7mm plasticard, over something rather unconventional to get a texture underneath close as possible to what I could figure it to be like on the in game model, I used a 1/6th scale mesh vest, glued onto the crossguard then I used a kiddies art sponge to put some resin onto it, to fill in the deep recesses a bit, and impregnate the fabric to seal it, so the silicone wouldn't have a chance to impregnate it.

2v2k4ci.jpg

p3ko6.jpg

Here's the cleaned up detail on the crossguard, just took a little bit of trimming, gluing and bondo-ing!

30segew.jpg

1z66074.jpg

25k7p0l.jpg

1zflt1l.jpg

This is the completed master, given a quick spray of silver paint just to make sure it was looking good, and the customer and I were happy with how it looked, so the next stage was getting it under some silicone!

317bnyc.jpg

k3litc.jpg

And here's the master clayed up, waiting for a mould box, to say that I hate chavant clay wit ha passion would be an understatement, it is an absolute bugger to deal with! I'm thinking I should perhaps invest in some softer chavant, since I know the softer stuff isn't as much as a pain to deal with.

25a4ynb.jpg

2q2fvah.jpg

Mould box in place, made from some foamboard, since it's easy to use, keeps the silicone in, and cheap enough to not care about tearing it apart after making the mould!

ke9rmw.jpg

Here's the first half of the mould with the master in place.
Now, you're likely looking at this thinking "holy crap, that looks ghetto as hell!", and you'd be right!
I had to make a second mould box (which thankfully worked out just fine), and as you can see, that is indeed tape holding it tighter across the top!

2ib0qkg.jpg

The mould worked though! No airbubbles in it, and has caught all the details perfectly!

2vkzqsm.jpg

11tpn9x.jpg

Here's the first casting from the mould after a small amount of cleanup, and a quick hit of car paint, I don't know how I made it look so shiny, because it's not that bright in person!

So yes, there's the build process for my Skyrim Steel Dagger!
If anyone has any questions about it, or anything in the process, then please go ahead and ask!

Last edited:
Re: Skyrim Steel Dagger (Pic Heavy)

Are you going to take some extra time to detail paint it? Hope this doesn't sound too obvious, but your last post made it sound like you were done.

Oh yeah, it ain't finished, I've given it a wash over the crossguard to pick out the detail, but tried to leave the blade itself as unweathered as possible, since it's supposed to be a skyforged Steel Dagger for Aela the Huntress.

Well, I got this finished up yesterday, so here's some photos!

nmhoi9.jpg

nq8rrc.jpg

10cl07k.jpg

2cntnr8.jpg

2uids10.jpg

16j29h2.jpg

2rwxf7o.jpg

Grip is pigskin, just dyed brown and laced in more brown pigskin.

For this one, it's just some silver paint on top of plain grey tinted resin, however, for the next casting I do, I'm thinking of brushing the mould with some aluminium powder, and doing some resin filling with it too, for a nice cold cast metal version.
Since I have the mould though, I was thinking of maybe selling copies, but I don't know that there's be interest in it?

Oh, forgot to mention it's cast in Polytek Easflo 60, tinted to grey.
One of the first times I've made use of the resin, first time in a two piece mould, and I must say I was really happy using it, nice and thin, poured like a dream!
(though, I took my time pouring it, and accidentally had it cure in the cup whilst pouring!)

Thanks =]

I had planned on doing an even more con friendly version from some super rigid foam, but uh, I may have slightly buggered up my mixing, and it might have maybe not cured properly, at all.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back