DIY Back to the Future 2 Jacket

You wouldn't happen to have Shoe Goo and about 8 dozen clamps would you?*

There should be a law (for our benefit) that any product that is manufactured, must also be able to be glued easily.

-Nick

*Sounds like my usual Friday night. :lol

I would highly discourage zip-ties. They seem like they last forever but if you don't buy good ones theres no guarantee they will last. Besides that, ever cut the end of a zip-tie and then drag your hand or arm across it and cut the crap out of yourself? You want that possibly all around your waist catching on your clothes?
I really wish my jacket would come so I could jump in on this more.

Thanks to another members RPF thread on the jacket I was given the idea of using chair backrest bellow for the jackets cuffs and bottom. I think this has gotta be what they used and if not it is close enough!

7-105-505.jpg

Now size wise i'm not sure but I might see about getting some to get a feel for the material. If this is right, a mold of this cast in some nice flexible rubber would be pretty awesome!

Nice jacket! heheh, I'm the first person to ever make a jacket like this with wal-mart drawer liner back in 2008, mentioned it 1 time at bttf.com, I guess word gets around...

Thanks to another members RPF thread on the jacket I was given the idea of using chair backrest bellow for the jackets cuffs and bottom. I think this has gotta be what they used and if not it is close enough!

Yes, this what was used. I thought every BTTF fan knew this already...:$

Not sure. It's made of ADS. it actually is as round as you'd think.

Is the plastic ADS or ABS? I don't know what ADS is (nothing came up on Google either) however ABS can be glued using solvent like is used for PVC pipe. Cut into thin strips, even a 3mm ABS is flexible enough to bent. With some heat, will soften and can be formed to hold the new shape.

Yes, this what was used. I thought every BTTF fan knew this already...:$

:facepalm, well not this one. I see people using everything BUT this it seems and the knowledge was harder to find than if everybody knew. Whats the deal with this not being used then? Whats your info on it?

So I am half way done. I too used hot glue, but I was SUPER careful. I also added more of an uprgraded pockets with the black plastic piece and also added the waist band belt. I used zipties and they worked AMAZINGLY (thanks for the idea JLeezy23)! The best part about the zipties is that the belt is removable if need be.

I also removed the lining since it was too puffy and hot. It lays much better when wearing it and feels 100 times cooler!

I still have to do the back, add the shoulder straps/black squares and then the electronics/buttons.

Dsc04930.jpg

Dsc04932.jpg

Dsc04916.jpg

Dsc04919.jpg

Dsc04922.jpg

Dsc04928.jpg

WOW. Great job Brad! Can't believe that's hot glue, I can't see any! What was your technique?

Take your time. Apply the hot glue to the edge of the foam matting and not the jacket. Wait about 4-5 seconds after you put it in place before applying pressure.That way the glue doesn't squish out.

Any plans on the sleeves yet? I was curious about the accordion folds.
After you are done, I will be embarking on mine...I'll let you iron all the kinks out for us :lol

Any plans on the sleeves yet? I was curious about the accordion folds.
After you are done, I will be embarking on mine...I'll let you iron all the kinks out for us :lol

No problemo.

I will have to think about the sleeves. I think the best way would be to buy 2 jackets and have someone sew new sleeves. But since I want this jacket to be as inexpensive as possible, I think I might do the foam insulation tubing thing.

I will be leaving the sleeves as is for a little while. I plan on wearing the jacket, shoes and hat to Comikaze next Saturday.

Did you buy the base jacket at your local Walmart or online? Found the jacket online but it says nothing about in store availability.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back