DIY Back to the Future 2 Jacket

No no no, your not thinking 4th dimensionally.

My attack to this great find would be to first get it flattened out as Mitas mentioned. I'm thinking clamping it between some 2x4's and applying heat from a heat gun could work well. This way, you can put the whole length in and get it done at once. Then, if the results were good, make a mold of the full length and then cast in rubber. I have been looking for what I think the original was, and I think it was a type of leach line similar to what they use in the star trek movies and shows. I have not been able to find a small thin type like the one on the jacket but unless I can come up with a better alternative I would like to try and find that. My jacket hasn't even come in yet but i'm just trying to come up with the ideas first. The only thing I have no idea what to do with are the spring sleeves.

That's actually not a bad idea, Doc!!

I think the best and possible ONLY way to attached this type of plastic to the fabric will be a series of screws and nuts, like this one:

I don't think screws would work. Think about it. You're going to be screwing into a jacket. Not exactly solid. I'll probably use gorilla glue.

They would work if you used a nut & washer on the back. Still might be an idea to anchor them that way and cover the screws with the size/dry buttons.

Would probably be easier if flattened though? the screws ruin the look. :(

It's not about it being flat enough, it's about the type of plastic that the tube is made of. I am not sure any type of glue wll stick.

I don't think screws would work. Think about it. You're going to be screwing into a jacket. Not exactly solid. I'll probably use gorilla glue.

Nuts, washers and screws, not just the screw.

Could the tubes be used as a sort of mold for another material that might be easier to work with and glue? A/B Foam/General Expanding Foam perhaps?

I'm just spitballing and have no idea if that would work.

-Nick

Could the tubes be used as a sort of mold for another material that might be easier to work with and glue? A/B Foam/General Expanding Foam perhaps?

I'm just spitballing and have no idea if that would work.

-Nick

Not a bad idea at all and would certainly be the professional approach. I'm interested to see if we as a group can figure out how to make one entirely out of found items.

It seems to me like you could perhaps sew it on? Find some heavy duty black thread, poke two holes in every recessed strip, then thread through those attaching to the jacket.

I'll be using thin foam weatherstrips. You can see the look of that on this thread.

The strips that I will be using will be thinner than the ones in the photos on that thread. That's because I will use 5 on each section and the springy parts would be too big if I used the size he used.

I read that thread last night again and thought about using the weather strips also.

Did you find some that are grey or are you going to paint them?

hello all! i've been in and out of the forum, been busy and lost my phone and camera so i can't post any work i've been doing. Anyway, fantastic jobs with the jackets! Question/suggestion about the flexible tube attaching to fabric: ZIPTIES maybe?

How would you attach it without it being obvious though?

Well if you could glue SOMETHING to the back of the piece securely, the corrugated areas would become channels. Feed your zip ties through there?

First thing that came to my mind, anyway. Thoughts?

-Nick

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back