Stargate Atlantis ZPM Build

LoganCale

Hello all. I'm working on my first Stargate Atlantis ZPM build. First build for me n many, many years... I'm starting with the bottom piece and I'm looking for some input on the star pattern on the bottom. From the screen grabs Ive been able to get, it looks like the star pattern is flush with the rest of the bottom (except for the red dome in the center), but from those that I've seen in this and other forums (mostly by Actiprops, great looking piece btw.) the star pattern seems to be either raised or recessed. I think someone mentioned somewhere that they inspected a screen used one and the star pattern piece was actually cast seperately. I can't make up my mind how to do it, but the screen caps look almost as if it's just painted on. Just wondering if anyone else has any info on this?

Thanks

IMG_0105.jpg

More pics in that album of the screen used breakable one I have, some shot's comparing it to one of the replica ZPM's available out there. Mine it's recessed, on the top the clear was cast with about 1/4 of an inch deep groves and then another black resin/epoxy poured in so it's about 1/16th of an inch recessed. I'm guessing it was to get the lighting/shadowing effect they wanted in the top and paints not stopping the light completely in the black areas.

I can't find the saved pics I have, but I did find some that showed what is flat black in my pic , was actually a rubber insert that covered 4 screw holes on another version of the ZPM. The screws held the cap on and allowed easier access to change batteries. There's been about 4 or 5 different versions of the ZPM identified.

Cheech, Thanks for the info. I actually found your Post in another thread with some of the other photos of your zpm. I'd love to see the pics of the one with the screws underneath if you can find it. Yours seems to be a little different than the ones in the screencaps I attached earlier. It doesn't look like there's a separate piece in the ones in the screencaps, but it's tough to tell. I'd be interested to here the differences between the 4 versions you mentioned. Maybe a few other people will chime in with what they've seen. I've pretty much scowered the Internet for every available zpm photo I could find, and I've found quite a bit, but nothing difinitive on the star pattern issue. Thanks again.

Very cool to see another ZPM build.
I own 2 from Actiprops initial run.
I still need to light them.

Can't wait to see how this build progresses.

:thumbsup

From what i remember there's 2 lengths, the shorter ones like mine come in at 11 inches and seemed to be the earlier/1st gen versions introduced in SG1. The 2nd Generation ones in Atlantis were slightly larger in length and diameter. Closer in size to the fan made one you see in some of my other pics. Confusion sets in, in that all ZPM versions were used in Atlantis and due to how shows are filmed/shot... the ZPM version could jump from shot to shot.

The few 'breakable' ones like mine seemed to be the ones to have the recessed black details on the top & in general lower casting quality (why spend a lot of time for a quick shot of something braking). Initially they made them unservicable for battery replacement, tops were glued on.... and eventually they made the tops screw on with the black rubber insert for servicing the batteries. There was atleast 1 corded one sold with the metal holder collet in Live Auction 1 also

Last edited:
Cheech, thanks again. Seems like there are enough different versions that I can take a little "artistic license" with the issue. Also, I was planning on using magnets to attach the two sections to allow for access to the internal components, and my thought was that I'd hide the charging port inside the prop, so it would have to be opened up to charge, and the on/off switch would be accessed by depressing the red circle in the bottom. That's the plan anyway, we'll see how it progresses.

Alan, the last prop I worked on was a Star Trek Mark X tricorder kit with lights and sound. Came out pretty nice. I believe I picked it up on ASAP back in the day. What ever happened to that site? No build pics of that one, but I will try to be a little more diligent about this one. I'll try to get a decent shot of it sometime soon and post it here.

Caveneau, this may be a good place to discuss lighting the project too, I'll be getting to that issue a little farther down the road.

I always wondered why they didn't search the database for "How to build a zpm. If you think about it it's almost funny. I got really tired of "Oh! we don't have enough power. or "Oh we used up the zpm." I notice the Wraif were smart enough to get the zpms when the Replicator planet imploded! Don't you just love Sy-Fi. Nothing has to make sense! LOL

Ok, so here are a few pics of the progress so far. Still at the very beginning phase. The first is two sheets of polysterene (.040 and .080) cut to the shape of the bottom with the star pattern drawn on. The second is with my exacto cuts made 90% of the way through.

I also included a pic of my old Mark X tricorder for those who asked to see some previous work.

Pat - I think they mentioned that at some point in the series. Something about them searching the database but it taking a very long time... something akin to the reason they couldn't find the ALS cure in the database in SGU. The writers use it as a plot devise to create conflict/drama. If they could just pop out ZPMs with ease they wouldn't have had any excuse to mess around with Rail Guns and other fun stuff.

Made some progress this week. Bottom piece coming along nicely. Still needs some fine tuning though. And got the rough crystals cut on the table saw (made from poplar).

Looking good indeed. Man, I am now apoligizing to myself for entering in the RPF, just for the work you guys do, if you decide to sell this builds, I will be broke :)

Ok, so the outer crystal shell is coming together nicely, and I primed the bottom to get a better idea where it stands. Been thinking about painting the star pattern black (on the cast amber tinted clear resin cast, down the road) and then filling in the little grooves in the bottom with some type of clear putty to smooth the bottom out. Anyone know of a product that would work for this purpose (something that is manually workable but dries clear and is sandable? Thanks!

ZPM7.jpg

ZPM8.jpg

ZPM9.jpg

ZPM10.jpg

A few more progress photos. Looking for any critiques you may have on the overall shape. Needs sanding and then going to build the bottom section on with clay. Also, could use some suggestions on best place to source LEDs as well as what types of LEDs will be best for this application when complete (once cast in amber colored resin of course). Lastly, rechargeable battery suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've never done a scratch rechargeable LED lighting setup before. Thanks.

Last edited:
All I know is this looks great so far.

I've been happy with my 2 from 'Actiprops' all these years, but yours looks great.
I've got a folder somewhere with tons and tons of screenshots organized by episode(if you want I can send you a file)
I'm still trying to light mine.

Caveneau, thanks, yes, any screenshots you have would be appreciated. I have a few myself, but always appreciate any additional ones that I may not yet have. Just out of curiosity, do you know where that photo of the LED setup is from? Wondering if it's a replica or actually screen accurate. If not both.

Just out of curiosity, do you know where that photo of the LED setup is from? Wondering if it's a replica or actually screen accurate. If not both.

That was my lighting setup that I never finished(shame on me).

I wired them that way because I wanted different light placement. Most folks just bought 2 of those 'LED Push lights' and attached them back-to-back, but I'm not a fan of that solution.
To me it looks like some of the lights are actually at different heights.

I would love to see how they 'actually' rigged it for the show.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back