TMNT Elbow Pads... destroyed ghostbuster pads :O

jacobzking

so I just recently got my mask from the prop shop site... my first piece of my turtle costume, so my next step was to make some elbow pads.

why? because its something i can almost do my self, its cheap, and if I'm EVER going to get a suit together, I can at least start small. it will just be one less "piece of the pie" to worry about if I ever do get the rest of the pieces.

lol, I'm banking on Dericrew :) ... or Jester FX finishing a suit.

so I was mostly going by the Don Spina pads. His aren't 100% movie accurate, but they look good. by the time I'm finished, they may look closer to the movie pads than spina's... we'll see.

I used the famous Ghostbusters defender elbow pads as a template. i ripped the actual pad off the elastic band, cut the pad in to 3 pieces where the creases are, then wrapped the individual pieces with real leather.

pretty simple so far. I havent decided exactly how I'm going to adhere the leather to the pads. I hand sewed one piece but it was time consuming, lol. real leather doesnt puncture too easy :( but even if I do all 6 pieces that way, not too much work. I may also try hot glue.

the last part is to figure out how to reconnect the 3 pieces together (to make a circle again from the pads), and also how to attach them to the arm band (a matching vinyl... got lucky and found a near perfect match to the real leather).

while I was at it, I went ahead and made my wrist bands; i made them loose enough to fit around a turtle wrist. :)

total cost:

$3.47 for some scrap leather from hobby lobby
$2.99 for a long strip of leather "lacing" to tie the wrist bands together
$17.99 for a 36x54" piece of "leather" vinyl
$15.99 (+$7.99 shipping) for the elbow pads
$47.44 total :)

I'll eventually post a photo of the completed pads. i also plan on weather the leather to make it look more "believable"

Looks good, my mate is currently sculpting and casting me, himself and 2 others TMNT movie suits, should be done by the begining of October, his work up to now is amazing and we will be doin group appearances as all four to raise money for children's cancer charities.....

I think your wristbands need to be abit more like the elbow bads thougg, I don't think they should look so smooth if you know what I mean?

I think your wristbands need to be abit more like the elbow bads thougg, I don't think they should look so smooth if you know what I mean?

yeah, in all the screen shots they're textured with lines and wrinkles in them... i will weather them and give them some folds

good luck with your project! any pics?

also, anyone else read the leaked script for paramount TMNT movie?

Totally missed your reply in here dude sorry!!! lol

you got any updated pics of your build?

I do have pics of our TMNT costumes in progress but unfortunatley my mate who is doin it doesn't want me to post them here yet so when I get the ok I will post some up but I can tell you that I think they are amazing! I am goin to him on Monday for test fitting and trimming etc.... we will be wearing them as a group at EMS convention in London on the 6th October and my Fiancee is coming along as April On'Neil which I am currently helping her put together whilst finishing my Captain Britain costume for an Avengers group at the end of October lol

Thanks for sharing, I think I will try to do the same for my Donatello suit. My main concern with making them myself has been getting the color right. But it looks like you are nailing it.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back