Automatic Printer That Cuts Out Pepakura

Someday... someday soon (hopefully), laser cutter prices will become reasonable, which will definitely make the cutting portion of pep trivial. I await that day to see all the crazy stuff that people could start making...

What is like the cheapest version of a printer / cutter like this?
If i had one of those, I´d quit my job and would be pepping stuff all day ;)

What is like the cheapest version of a printer / cutter like this?
If i had one of those, I´d quit my job and would be pepping stuff all day ;)

Silhouette Cameo is probably going to be the only one you find that actually has a viewer to specifically work with Pepakura. As EoS said, if you set it up right they work phenomenally, which it takes about an hour of trial and error to get it right.

I have a full production wide format printing company. I've kicked around the idea of doing a print/cut of something pep. I haven't found the right project yet.

I couldn't imagine cutting one of those by hand. yikes.

Jack Knight1979, I've been wanting to ask this question, since we are in the same boat.
I haven't use it because I worried about the blade. If we cut until it break/separated, it dulls the knife very fast. Not only the blade, but the "cushion" under it too. i don't think it is feasible doing this.
If we re-cut it again, than it'll be too costly to do so.

Also for smaller machine like cameo printer, how often they need to be replaced and how expensive is the blade and other parts? Does anybody know? With the claim that it cut all the way, I really wonder how long the blade will last.

Jo Ann Fabrics will have the Cricut V1 Personal Electronic Cutter on sale for $80 on Black Friday.

I'm trying to find more info on it/reviews etc. I'm tempted to pick it up.

I actually haven't been able to get the Silhouette software for Pep to run on my system with Win7. So far after cutting a lot of stuff I'm still on my first blade, but my third cutting mat. The nice part is the Cricut mats will work with the Cameo.

I usually print everything from Pep Designer as a pdf, then open that in Illustrator. I like to make the print lines wider than I can in Pep. Then save each page as a svg, then open in the Silhouette software, and assign the cuts and perfs for the folds. Print the page on my inkjet, and then load it in the cutter. It takes a little bit of time to do all that, but it's still quicker than cutting by hand, and if I jack something up I can just go cut the page I need back out. I also print the pdf out on just regular paper to use as a map so I can see what page I need if I mess something up.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back