Warhammer 40K Bolt Pistol - On a Budget

DD28

I am currently in the process of putting together a Space Marine costume (which is currently not in any state to post about :unsure), however currently funds are not forthcoming, so I decided to have a go at building a Bolt Pistol on a Budget (actually it ended up being made of scraps I had lying around). After looking around for some blueprints for said pistol (and not finding any) I came across Steamtech's post about his 40k Bolt Pistol
http://www.therpf.com/f9/warhammer-40k-bolt-pistol-129533/
And taking the excellent pictures of his pistol, I produced a set of plans myself.

Bolt%2520Pistol%2520Plans.jpg

Bolt Pistol Plans.pdf - 4shared.com - document sharing - download - Peter H

So what to make the pistol from....

The main problem I faced was the hand grip (I didn't fancy trying to scratch build one), I looked around my sons toy box, found a Nerf Maverick, perfect, except he wouldn't part with it :unsure, but he did have another gun (he has lots...) that the barrel had broken off (he does keep a lot of crap, luckily :lol)

So now armed with a broken toy shotgun and a box of junk, I set to work.....

To construct the Bolt Pistol I decided to use :-
  • Broken toy shotgun
  • Corrugated cardboard (I have a lot of boxes),
  • Card (Cereal Boxes)
  • Foam (some low density camping mat which was originally for my other sons Iron Man Costume but is way too soft)
  • Foam Core (from another long dead project)
  • Plastic Plumbing Parts
  • and anything else I could find to work.....

I started by cutting out the main body shape from cardboard then tracing out 7 foam versions, this made a sandwich the correct thickness.

On the middle 3 foam layers I traced around the shotgun (after I had trimmed the remaining part of the barrel) to fit. Then I glued it all together (with my trusty glue gun)

Bolt%2520Pistol-03.jpg

Then using Cereal box card I encased the foam edges

Bolt%2520Pistol-04.jpg
Bolt%2520Pistol-06.jpg

Using more cereal box card, and some 5mm thick foam core, I added the side details and raised top sections

Bolt%2520Pistol-07.jpg
Bolt%2520Pistol-08.jpg

After considering and rejecting making the barrel out of card, or even foam, I found some plastic plumbing parts left over from when we had our kitchen fitted (it's not just my son that keeps crap :$). After cutting them to size and drilling a side hole they were fitted.

Bolt%2520Pistol-10.jpg

Next....Detailing

Detailing the Bolt Pistol...

Rather than cut out circles from foam core (I'm not very good at curves) I decided to try and find something to use for the rear circle details, and came across some cheap plastic poker chips

Bolt%2520Pistol-11.jpg

These lock together due to the serrated pattern on top, and 2 together were the perfect thickness and coincidentally exactly the right diameter :cool

Bolt%2520Pistol-12.jpg

Next I traced out the side plate rim on foam core for both sides

Bolt%2520Pistol-13.jpg
Bolt%2520Pistol-14.jpg
Bolt%2520Pistol-16.jpg

This part came off the donor plastic shotgun

Bolt%2520Pistol-17.jpg

Which after a bit of trimming made the clip ejector switch

Bolt%2520Pistol-19.jpg

More foam core and card was added at the bottom

Bolt%2520Pistol-21.jpg

While hunting out parts I came across 2 packs of these

Bolt%2520Pistol-15.jpg
Zinc Plated M5 Cap Nuts

For the life of me I can't remember why I even bought them, or when :confused .... I expect I'll remember eventually, but for now :love

Bolt%2520Pistol-22.jpg
Bolt%2520Pistol-23.jpg

The next part I struggled to find something to work, until I came across these in the kitchen draw....

Bolt%2520Pistol-24.jpg

And as I do the cooking, and can't ever remember needing 2.5ml of anything measured out, my Bolt pistol got a new selector switch :lol

Bolt%2520Pistol-25.jpg

Next...The Ammo Clip

Last edited:
The Ammo Clip

Using the same foam and Cardboard construction I marked out and assembled the clip

Bolt%2520Pistol-27.jpg

Encased it with card

Bolt%2520Pistol-28.jpg

Added Foam Core details

Bolt%2520Pistol-29.jpg

Added more details to the sides and yet more Foam core to the base, then glued the complete assembly to the main body

Bolt%2520Pistol-31.jpg

The final part to make was the site, I made this from foam core and card

Bolt%2520Pistol-34.jpg
Bolt%2520Pistol-35.jpg

Finally after about 6 hours work .....

Bolt%2520Pistol-38.jpg
Bolt%2520Pistol-37.jpg

All that I need to do now is clean up some of the edges, fill the corrugated card edges, prime and eventually paint once I have decided on the colour scheme for the armour.

Until next time....

Peter

Thanks, was out and about today and spotted something that looked like a sword handle sticking out of a recycling bin. Next up I think i'll have a go at a budget chain sword :lol, BTW it ended up being part of an old mop....

Cool! And the plans are really nice as well.

Comes in very handy since I've just started my own Bolt Pistol build. Thanks!

Thought I'd add my latest build here as I used Peter's amazing pdf.
This wasn't a budget build as such, but the pdf was invaluable to me in its making, so credit where it's due (thank you Peter! xx)

It was tweaked a little as to the wishes of the person who asked me to make it.

warhammer-40k-snub-bolt-pistol-prop-by-nerfenstein.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back