Screen accurate TK latex neck seal

Sonnenschein

I'm starting to work on an latex neck seal, as there are not that many accurate ones around.

Here's my first pattern:

p1010885c.jpg

After a transfer onto styrene, the ribs will be sculpted with a special tool I created.

Thanks for looking and your comments!

You may remember from Star Wars (A New Hope) when someone says 'TK421 why are you not at your post?'.
Other Star Wars baddies have other initials. FYI.

Will the latex be strong enough - they do take a bit of a beating?

Thanks for explaining the term "TK" :)

Initial test show that the latex "skin" is highly stretchable:

p1010859xs.jpg

p1010865o.jpg

I'm planning this for about a year now. I hope to finish soon!

Interesting. I've also found that not many discuss this item, but there is more to this than just a neck "seal". It is part of a loose-fitting sort-of vest with ties on the lower side, maybe a foot or so below the arms... at least the ANH version. I've been waiting for someone to actually try to tackle the screen accurate garment. I've also been pondering the material. Latex? maybe, satin or some other fabric? maybe; as it is kind-of shiny, but doesn't seem too stretchy. More wanting to crinkle and fold.

Indeed, there's almost no documentationabout this part.

Those "ties" you mentioned is simply the bib slashed into strips. See the far left trooper:
REF_ANH_StuntNeckseal01.jpg

And if you lookat this pic, it is, IMO, a rubber (latex) membrane

REF_ANH_StuntNeckseal03.jpg

No big news. I'm stil trying to perfectmy sculpting technique.

But here's a mock up with a floor matt, which has just about the right spacing

p1010956uz.jpg

Also pictured: a real Edelweiss from my balcony and a vintage rubik's cube.

They used Edelweiss on the neck seals??? :lol

I´ll follow this thread with great interest as i also found that the neck seals never got enough research and attention.

No, I'm looking at an entirely different area... around the hip area. Look at ANH during Han talking on the comm in the cell-block. Years ago there was the MOM tour or one of those earlier SW prop tours where troopers were displayed with a similar garment that was very dark red and had ties under the arms but the ties were a tad higher and the fabric was more like canvas or something. It is literally like a loose-fitting vest garment with open sides and a neckseal. Not sure those are slashes that you pointed out, either. Maybe they are... or maybe folds/wrinkles?

Indeed, there's almost no documentationabout this part.

Those "ties" you mentioned is simply the bib slashed into strips. See the far left trooper:
REF_ANH_StuntNeckseal01.jpg

And if you lookat this pic, it is, IMO, a rubber (latex) membrane

REF_ANH_StuntNeckseal03.jpg

I agree with you on Han's and Luke's neck seal. They're also known as "hero" neck seals.
ButI'm talking about the "stunt" neck seal, a completely different thing.
I'm pretty sure they're slashed. I have a pic somewhere where one of the strips comes out at the shoulder bridges.

The basic "sculpt" is almost done.

Still need to mend some minor defects, making the ribs a little smoother (=losing the texture), in essence, make it "nicer!

p1020001q.jpg

Then a silicone mold is made, because:
*) I need a resin "back up"
* ) to cast the seal, this "sculpt" needs to be made of plaster.

I know this thread is very Old, but figured I would bump it instead of starting a new one!

Anyone know where to get an accurate neckseal? in time for Halloween?

My friend is begging me to wear my armor to a big party and since it's been on a manaquin for YEARS I never added the neckseal. (out of sight out of mind!)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back