Pulp Fiction question

planet

Well I have seen this movie like 100 times and its always make me wonder . Has any thing ever been said what was in the case! Its been driving me crazy .

In an April 1995 Playboy interview, Samuel L Jackson, who played Jules, offered his perspective:

John (Travolta) did ask Quentin exactly what was supposed to be inside and Quentin said, "Whatever you want it to be."

So I assumed it was something that, when people looked at it, seemed like the most beautiful thing they had ever seen or their greatest desire. When I looked inside, between scenes, I saw two lights and some batteries. What I would have wanted to see are the next ten films I'm going to do and hope they're all as good as Pulp Fiction.

One of the cast said it plainly: "A light and a reflector."

But it's pretty clearly a McGuffin -- it's anything you want it to be, though I heard Marsellus' soul. Whichever, it's just a thing that moves the plot along.

Has QT ever said what it was ?

Yes, I heard him at Comic Con say that it was a small light covered by an orange gel.

As in the story, it is just there to move the story along. In th eoriginal screen play, it was supposed to be diamonds, but when shooting, QT thought that was too dumb, and changed it to the light.

I don't think that he thought it was going to be such an issue, but it has been. In the end, I like the explanation that it is what you want it to be. Meaning: Who ever looks into the case, sees what they want it to be. Travolta looks into the case and sees drugs, because that's what he wants it to be. Honey-Bunny looks into the cast and sees wealth, because that is what he wants.

The watch is more of a McGuffin than the case. The watch is the McGuffin for the whole movie

Yes, I heard him at Comic Con say that it was a small light covered by an orange gel.

As in the story, it is just there to move the story along. In th eoriginal screen play, it was supposed to be diamonds, but when shooting, QT thought that was too dumb, and changed it to the light.

I don't think that he thought it was going to be such an issue, but it has been. In the end, I like the explanation that it is what you want it to be. Meaning: Who ever looks into the case, sees what they want it to be. Travolta looks into the case and sees drugs, because that's what he wants it to be. Honey-Bunny looks into the cast and sees wealth, because that is what he wants.

The watch is more of a McGuffin than the case. The watch is the McGuffin for the whole movie

At one point during the film I thought it might have been a severed body part of an enemy by some of the reactions .

I always thought it would be cool if it was the jewels from the Reservoir Dogs heist.

I'll never forgive QT from walking so far away from that universe he had created.

Jules wandering the earth would have been awesome. Oh well.

Last edited:
In the scene where the suitcase is delivered to the bar where Marcellus is meeting with the boxer you can see what is in the case. Marcellus opens the case and hands the boxer a stack of bills with a shiny gold wrapper. I haven't watched the movie in a while, so I hope i'm not just imagining this. Anyone who owns the movie please confirm.

I always thought it would be cool if it was the jewels from the Reservoir Dogs heist.

I'll never forgive QT from walking so far away from that universe he had created.

Jules wondering the earth would have been awesome. Oh well.

I know its just such a masterpiece . Back when they were getting the cast together
I remember that the A-list stars from the film were willing to take a lot less money just be in Pulp with QT .

I always understood what was in the case to be Marceluses soul that he had sold to the devil.

He hired his "hitmen" Vincent and Jules to get it back for him. Though Vincent and Jules were fallen angels. So when "god interveined" it sent Jules on the path to righteousness and delievered him from evil. The fact that Vincent still balked at that, made him still a sinner, hence he was killed in the end and not spaired like Jules was.

But that is my take on it.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back