Monsters do have a sell-by date.

Rotwang

Sr Member
Frankenstein, Cthulhu, Dracula, the Xenomorph ...

At first they scared us. Then they intrigued us, they became familar and ended up cute and cuddly.

That's why we have plush Cthulhu figures, Herman Munster and Twilight.

Monsters, over time lose their ability to inspire fear and then they are slowly absorbed by pop-culture, which completely declaws them and renders them mostly harmless and a bit of fun.

Absolutely true.

It will take a few more decades for the Chupacabras to fall into that category, but it will happen eventually :lol

Absolutely true.

It will take a few more decades for the Chupacabras to fall into that category, but it will happen eventually :lol

Say what?

chupacabras_by_steppuki-d48xitk.jpg
mlp_style_chupacabra_by_pashapup-d4h0b2b.png

I stand corrected :lol:lol:lol:lol

Seems it has taken under 20 years on that one :lol

Any plush toys though :lol ?

Edit - yes :lol

chupacabra-toy.jpeg

Alan

Is that your next addition to the collection :)

Absolutely NOT ! It's not disgusting enough :lol

Seriously though, I honestly had no idea the Chupacabras had made it into the category the OP pointed out (I wasn't exactly keeping tabs on it :lol).

The more the world becomes globalised, the quicker such things get declawed perhaps.

'Nosferatu' (1922) is still a really creepy film.

I think the basic premise of the original Frankenstein and Dracula stories is as relevant and frightening as ever, but the repeated exposure to the old Universal adaptations, Hammer movies, The Count from Sesame street, Count Duckula and that kind of thing has desensitised us to those interpretations of the stories. They've become pop culture, just a bit of fun at Halloween.

The original books are much better than any movie, still relevant and still have the ability to chill.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back