3M blue painter's tape vs. Frog tape

Use paper to cover the larger areas and only have the blue tape holding the edges down.
Also second on sticking it to your clothes a few times first to take a bit of the 'stick' away.
Also you have to let your coats cure properly ,like a few days.

By the looks of the pic the paint has reacted with the sticky on the tape. I have had this problem and got round it by changing paint type, leaving it to dry for ages and not covering the whole lot with tape, use paper as Tabot says, i have also use saran wrap/clingfilm but that some times reacts with the over spray.

In this particular case, I have 3 days left to put on two more coats of paint, so I don't have the luxury of proper dry times. I'll definitely use paper or plastic to cover up what I can this time and the pants trick, though.

Then leave a day between coats and pop the item somewhere dry/warm/ventilated in between.

Also 'scotching' (very light rub with find wet and dry) inbeween coats will really help to give the paint some strength

I get that when i put tape over certain silvers especially flat silver. If it is just for a base i would give it a clearcoat then mask it up. Just make sure your clear is compatible with the silver and what ever you are putting on top of it.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back