3M blue painter's tape vs. Frog tape

Risu

Master Member
OK, so I've got a roll of each, and so far neither is doing the trick for me. The Frog tape won't stick to ANY surface I try to put it on, it just peels up after a minute. However, the blue painter's tape pulls about half of the previous coat of paint off of whatever it's stuck to. That was allowing 3 days for the paint to dry before masking over it. Can anybody give me some advice so that I won't ruin the final coat of paint on this thing? Is there a trick to getting the frog tape to stick? Is there a reason the blue tape pulled up the paint?

the only advice i can really think of is to keep using the blue painters tape but take some of the stick out of it, when i used to work on cars we'd stick it to our trousers or shirt just to take the edge off of it.

I've done this with Aztek Dummy Enterprise templates....every single one got the trousers and shirt treatment to reduce stickiness.

Rich

de-mask/de-tack it but try the green tape, world of difference. But, it all depends on the surface itself. Some surfaces just wont hold paint well and will always fleck right off.

The item in question is a Spatcave pulse rifle, coated with a good layer of black Krylon primer, then a coat of Krylon silver chrome. The chrome dried for 3 days, then I masked it for 2 while I painted the gun parts black. When I peeled it off the silver on the shrouds partly came off, leaving sort of a cloudy silver/black surface. It didn't flake, just lifted a bunch of the paint off. It never took the whole coat luckily.

But yea, the green frog tape won't stick to it at all, just curls up and falls off.

Not green frog tape, green painters tape.

Chrome from a rattle can will always peel up on anything. Try dull aluminum if you have to use a rattle can.

Have you tried Intertapes line of ProMask products yet? I've found that Frog tape and 3m blue can be a nightmare to work with, but intertape's promask blue is a happy medium.

so far i havent had any issue with the Frog tape when painting my Captain America shield, i used 3M Scotch tape at first but found that it left a film when peeling off. like the others have said, i think the surface being painted makes all the difference.

Ah ok, I used the chrome because I had it handy and didn't want to go all the way to walmart to get aluminum Krylon. Should I expect an issue if I put the tape on Krylon satin black? And does it matter if that satin black is on top of the chrome?

I use nothing but the 3M blue DELICATE tape. There is a huge difference and the price is significantly higher as well.

Never had an issue with it pulling the paint off. The regular 3M blue tape is has alot more stick/tackiness to it. Try the DELICATE roll.

I use the 3M blue tape on most my projects and have never wanted to pay the extra for the frog tape. I have tried the trick of sticking it to my pants first and it does work as long as nothing else sticks to the tape and messes up the "edge".

As far as spray paints, I have tried using chrome "metal finish" spray paints and they take forever to dry but do look good when applied. Good luck trying to sand out a small drip though. I had a small drip that was still wet underneath 4 days later and I had to go all the way back down to primer! I switched to silver Rub n Buff and love it. You can polish it up with a rag and it gives you a real metallic finish. I have also used a can of High Heat Aluminum spray paint that is used for your engine compartment that dried very quickly and I have never had any issues with it peeling when taped. I got it at an automotive store.

The silver doesn't have to look good, it's just and undercoat to sand through to for wear. So far there's no REAL damage done. The next step though, if the paint comes off I'm pretty screwed.

Tamiya yellow masking tape for models. Find it at a local hobby shop or order it online. Works like a charm and won't pull up previous layers.

I bought the frog tape,which isn't easy to find over here and i'm very happy with it.it sticks to every surface i used it on.

as far as painting over that chrome paint, its still going to be just as fleck-able than ever. Your surface finish is only as good as the base its applied to.

Well the surface didn't fleck, though. I'll see if I can post a picture of the damage tomorrow. I'm giving it a couple days before masking over the black parts. Have to finish by DC, so that's all I can spare.

OK, here's a picture.

DSC03058.jpg

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back