paint fail... need a quick fix!:(

bignatedegg56

oh knowledgable chums of the RPF, I've sprayed 3 pieces recently but after 3 days the paint is still tacky on 2 of them :confused would anyone have any clue how i can solve this so I can get another coat on before I need them on Saturday?

thought about rubbing talcum powder on it as I'm sure I've read that as an option somewhere on here but the pieces are red and I don't know if it will cause an issue with the colour or not?

all help will be helpful as I'm quite the n00b when it comes to this!

THANKS!:love

oh knowledgable chums of the RPF, I've sprayed 3 pieces recently but after 3 days the paint is still tacky on 2 of them :confused would anyone have any clue how i can solve this so I can get another coat on before I need them on Saturday?

thought about rubbing talcum powder on it as I'm sure I've read that as an option somewhere on here but the pieces are red and I don't know if it will cause an issue with the colour or not?

I've had good luck with just spraying a light coat of a satin finish clear coat onto sticky things. Try it on one piece.

What did you spray, and with what type of paint?
Some materials just don't like certain paints. I found that out the hard way when I airbrushed a sculpey build with enamel paint.

3 years later and it's still tacky...

What did you spray, and with what type of paint?
Some materials just don't like certain paints. I found that out the hard way when I airbrushed a sculpey build with enamel paint.

3 years later and it's still tacky...

Well, what are you working with?

A Rustoleum Stain Finish clear coat.

I don't know what you're painting, but I have discovered that sculpy doesn't like spray paint, it never drys... Ever! I have used powder over the paint before, it doesn't make it dry but it just covers up the stickiness, but it will distort your color a little. An acrylic high gloss clear coat will also work, in a way, it just makes a hard shell over the sticky paint. but make sure you get a good craft brand from hobby lobby or somewhere, the stuff in the craft section at Walmart sucks.

Like I said, I don't know what you were painting, but it might just be something that doesn't take spray paint well. Or if you left it outside to dry and there was humidity in the air that can mess up the paint and cause it to stay sticky.

If your item can stand the heat, I would try putting it in an oven at a low temp, say200 degrees, should dry it out! Heat gun or Hair dryer could work too!

If your item can stand the heat, I would try putting it in an oven at a low temp, say200 degrees, should dry it out! Heat gun or Hair dryer could work too!

tried the hair dryer on it earlier, no luck. it has been quite humid for the last few days so thats probably what's caused it.

It's foam, I've got an ironman briefcase made of camping mat foam and a hand piece made of basic craft foam from Tesco (I'm in the UK) both pieces have been coated as per Xrobot's PVA method, the weird thing is the 3rd piece (forearm) is made of a combination of both foams and is fine :confused.

the paint is from Halfords and is just normal car spray paint so dunno what's going on, do you think if I just spray another coat of the same colour rather than the clear it'd work? i didn't put a heavy layer on as i knew from spraying a helmet earlier in the year that I'm cack handed and would end up with runs all over it so I really need at least 1 more coat of red.

thanks guys.

well, tried a few things as suggested but still tthe same areas affected. currently sat with the hand piece in front of the oven trying that as all it seemed to do earlier when i put it in on a low heat was weaken the foam and the plastic coating.

really getting worried now as i don't want to have to rebuild stuff with less than 48 hours to go.

PLEASE has anyone got any other ideas that might help?

I had a similar issue a few months, I spraypainted a few pieces, and left them on the porch outside to dry. Seeing as it was very hot, and very humid outside, after two days they were still sticky to the touch. I moved the pieces into my room (which is air conditioned at a cool 70 degrees) and two days later the pieces were fully dried. When I painted my next batch, I immediately moved them into my room for drying, and they were good to go two days later.

Seeing as you don't have two days, perhaps you could try cooling them? Maybe stick them in the fridge for a day or so, and see if it helps.

I'm by no means an expert when it comes to painting, so this very well might be a horrible idea. But if you've already tried sticking it in an oven, I suppose trying the opposite couldn't hurt!

If its automotive aerosol, you could try to spray a thin coat of catalyst(or hardener) over it, but I have no idea how that will react with your substrate, so use caution.

thanks for the input guys, i've popped a couple of the fingers in the fridge to see how that goes, alternatively I'm just going to go with a sticky hand and redo the fingers but just spray them rather than do all the PVA and plastic coating first as I've done a test piece on the craft foam and it seems it'll take the paint ok and then if I want to use them again then I can go through the coating process.

The fridge may not help. It was likely the drying action of the air con that helped the paint dry as opposed to the coolness. The fridge will probably cause more moisture to accumulate on the parts. If you have a dehumidifier, or a room with air con in it, you could set it in there and keep the door closed and see what happens.

Of course it may be something daft like the paint wasnt shaken enough and so will never dry...

Of course it may be something daft like the paint wasnt shaken enough and so will never dry...

now that makes more sense! I am a bit cack handed so thats probably it. one of my mates did suggest that the plastic coat may not have fully cured when i sprayed too which would cause issues.

ah well, chalk it up to experience then :behave
i'm redoing the fingers anyway and may attempt to redo the hand if i get the time :love

Thanks for all the input guys :thumbsup

i once tried the satin clear technique but that clear shrunk as it dried, leaving thousands of triangle shaped cracks because the base coat was still tacky,i had to start that job over.

when i cant get paint to dry fast enough (usually because i sprayed too thick) i put the parts in an enclosed space like a rubbermaid storage bin with lid, and add a bunch of those silica gel packets (like you find in a new pair of shoes etc) with them. they suck the moisture out of the paint without shrinkage or any ill effects. dried to the touch overnight

awesome idea, i've noticed the clear coat has worked with the more coats i put on on the case and the forearm.

I remade the fingers today cuz i screwed them up from startto finish really and am waiting for the clear coat to dry on the hand but may have ti just use it tacky and just not let people touch it so it doesn't get on their hands.

i'll post some pics up on sunday to show what ive done and me and the wife in the full Stark and Potts Outfits.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back