SpiderSparrow's TASM Build (Suit Finished!!! Skateboard Pics! 11/1/12)

SpiderSparrow

Hi, I'm still kinda new here, but not new to costuming. I'm finally starting my Amazing Spider-Man suit and I will post all my progress in this thread.

I don't have my suit print yet but I will be ordering it very soon, I have to save up a bit more moneys first. But I went ahead and made my lenses just because I was in the mood to make something.

Here's how I made them:
First I sculpted the frames the best I could out of sculpy, they didn't turn out perfect but I'm happy with them.
1364fb2af90f10e0bfd8fa492d7de1c1.jpg

For the mesh lenses I used the front of a crappy speaker I bought at the thrift store for $1
52abbfc36d14fbc03302c4c50954c508.jpg

I cut the lenses out of it and then sanded all the black paint off of them.
2e940440eedec35aceba34abe781f0c6.jpg

Then I used a gold sharpie to color them gold, not quite as reflective as the real ones but it was quick and cheap. (as you can see, I got a little ahead of myself before I took the progress pic haha)
15583b4e3c1415226e601b761801c56d.jpg

I cut the clear plastic off the back of a binder to use over the mesh.
e886d44993597a49b5dce19fbdd66e67.jpg

I glued the plastic down around the edges of the mesh and trimmed off the excess.
15a7b9c8a95fa4fea374d9a3203e9a67.jpg

I painted the frames black just using black acrylic paint.
804bea1672e9309744c1945ac39c7a7d.jpg

Gave the frames a nice shiny finish, glued on the lenses, and done! :D I may add a tinted lense to the back of the mesh, I'm just gonna wait and see how they look on the suit as they are though.
73251fd666a2fcfe3ae51b472103d421.jpg

f64352b88d8699e38b0dc9cbffd72aa5.jpg

They are not perfect, but I was impressed with myself for making them, I was planning to just buy some, so I saved myself a lot of money.

It took me a all day to make them (there was a lot of trial and error that I left out of my little summery haha), but now that I actually know what I'm doing I could throw together another set pretty quickly.

Next on my list is web shooters! :)

Last edited:
Re: SpiderSparrow's TASM Build (lenses finished)

These are fantastic. Great job! Hows the rest of the mask coming?

Thank you! :) haven't started the mask yet, still waiting to get a print. Just getting all the little things ready so that once I get my suit print all I have to do is piece everything together, Which I'm sure is much easier said than done. :lol

Re: SpiderSparrow's TASM Build (lenses finished)

Badass! LOL you're rockin andrew's hairdo!

Ha, thanks! Yeah, I actually had that hairdo long before the movie came out. Now I always get told I look like spiderman (which makes me feel awesome!), I really don't look much like him though, it's just the hair. Same reason I get told I look like Edward from twilight. Lol

Re: SpiderSparrow's TASM Build (lenses finished, shoes half way done)

I know I said i was doing web shooters next, but they got bumped down on the list because I went to the thrift store today and found some old puma running shoes that were just screaming spiderman at me! Haha, they really look nothing like the screen accurate asics, but in my opinion they look way cooler! And since most people don't even know that spiderman has shoes, I don't think anyone will notice that they are not accurate.

Here's what they looked like when I got them.
cf97bae5fb236a65faec3f24154e72eb.jpg

Then I cleaned them, cut off all the stuff I didn't want and started painting, I only had time to paint one today. I'm really happy with how it looks, painting the bottom took forever, but it was worth it! Even though they are not accurate, I like them way better than the asics, and they only cost me $2 as opposed to $70! Haha
I will cover up all the frayed parts around the edges of where they are cut with puff paint once they are actually attached to my suit.

1c21725b598d8d868a03fd05a69c041e.jpg

507d47de8ddee9ae7b11961e870615d5.jpg

f1c04a24c6a144d155828ec83ef91231.jpg

fdfb57bb9aeeb561a3ed9aaa890fcc66.jpg

They really do look better haha Perhaps need to see them on a whole suite to get a better final impression. Nice work man.

This is great, looking forward to some more progress!

The frames look absolutely awesome. I spent 25$ on the marvel glasses im still waiting to get, but its comforting to see I can likely make my own for all of 5$. Using the clear plastic off a binder is genius.

I know I said i was doing web shooters next, but they got bumped down on the list because I went to the thrift store today and found some old puma running shoes that were just screaming spiderman at me! Haha, they really look nothing like the screen accurate asics, but in my opinion they look way cooler! And since most people don't even know that spiderman has shoes, I don't think anyone will notice that they are not accurate.

Here's what they looked like when I got them.
cf97bae5fb236a65faec3f24154e72eb.jpg

Then I cleaned them, cut off all the stuff I didn't want and started painting, I only had time to paint one today. I'm really happy with how it looks, painting the bottom took forever, but it was worth it! Even though they are not accurate, I like them way better than the asics, and they only cost me $2 as opposed to $70! Haha
I will cover up all the frayed parts around the edges of where they are cut with puff paint once they are actually attached to my suit.

1c21725b598d8d868a03fd05a69c041e.jpg

507d47de8ddee9ae7b11961e870615d5.jpg

f1c04a24c6a144d155828ec83ef91231.jpg

fdfb57bb9aeeb561a3ed9aaa890fcc66.jpg

WOW! You did a great job on using different shoes dude!

WOW! You did a great job on using different shoes dude!

Thanks man! My costume isn't going to be 100% SA, but it's going to look awesome and not cost a ridiculous amount of money. So far I've invested about 8 bucks and I already have lenses and shoes haha.

I have to say ... as someone brand new to the costume replica scene (meaning ME) ...
your ingenuity and work so far is both amazingly inspiring and incredibly intimidating at the same time. :confused

As a complete newb, may I ask how long you read through threads here and thought about taking the first steps and moving forward before you took the plunge? I'm struggling with the personal "intimidation/can I even do it" factor right now - so I would love to read your "story."

I apologize if this is off-topic or side-stepping . . . if so, feel free to ignore this.

I have to say ... as someone brand new to the costume replica scene (meaning ME) ...
your ingenuity and work so far is both amazingly inspiring and incredibly intimidating at the same time. :confused

As a complete newb, may I ask how long you read through threads here and thought about taking the first steps and moving forward before you took the plunge? I'm struggling with the personal "intimidation/can I even do it" factor right now - so I would love to read your "story."

I apologize if this is off-topic or side-stepping . . . if so, feel free to ignore this.

Thanks!

When I saw the movie when it first came out I immediately fell in love with the new suit. So I started researching online and trying to figure out how to get a replica suit. And I came across the threads on here so I made an account. I had seen this site before, but I just never took the time to sign up. But I was a little intimidated at first too, because all I was seeing were pictures of photoshop designs and I was very confused because I was new to the whole dye sub. Prints thing. But eventually I figured out that you have to get a suit print and then get it sewn together. And they're quite expensive. But anyway I started messaging people and trying to figure out where to get a print because mcl34n and Taylor were already swamped with orders by the time I hit the scene. But I read all the threads and contemplated my options for about a month before I finally started on this stuff.

If you need any more help or advice, or just want to talk about spidey feel free to message me! I'd love to help you out in any way I can!
:D

Brian, this was posted on another Spiderman thread, but it may help your cause (and your budget)

Newest Spandex Lycra Amazing Spiderman Costume Zentai Suit [30099] - $59.00 : Buy zentai, spandex

although, now that I look at the eyes on the Zentai mask - yours might be too small to cover. GREAT WORK!

Yep, thank you very much for showing me! I probly am going to use this. Mainly because I don't know enough about sewing to assemble a print and I can't afford to pay a seamstress.

Yeah, I did notice that the eyes might be bigger than my lenses. But since it will only be a little bit of the printed lenses showing around the edges of my real ones, I think I can just paint over whatever is showing using red paint and blend it well enough that it's not noticeable.

I'm probably not going to do the honeycomb pattern. Not before Halloween anyway. I just don't have the time. I might try to figure out a way to at least trace the pattern onto the blue, but I won't be doing it in puff paint, just too much time that I don't have. I will do the webbing in puff paint, but no honeycombing. I think the webbing will still give the suit enough texture to look professional though.

Those shoes look amazing. Definitely better than the asics!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back