Back To The Future 2015 Set (CG Model)

Bonus points to both of you. :thumbsup
The current progress on the Wild Gunman cabinet is attached. The Pacman machine is only briefly seen, mostly in the one establishing shot when Marty first enters the Cafe '80s, so it's easy to miss.

I'm currently working on the Blast From The Past antiques shop, so I'll have renders of that soon.

Wow! Incredible!

Great stuff!

Thanks, guys. :)

Working on the Blast From The Past antiques store at the moment. I've got the glass done, and the basic dimensions.

I'm having some trouble finding good reference for the big sign though. I've attached the closest thing to a direct front-on shot I have of it, and even from this blurry low res pic, it's obvious that it doesn't match up to the logo from the receipt/bag all that closely. If I have to, it will make a starting point, but before I do, I thought I'd ask if anyone has some good reference on it? (Only reference of the sign itself, and not the receipt or bag logo, as I have plenty of those, and they're not quite the same)
I think I've got most of what's available on the internet, but it can't hurt to ask. :)

Yes, the big sign and the bag/receipt logo are different in colors and details. That sign is on my to-do-list. I have a lot of more important things to do at the moment, but if you can wait a few weeks, I will make a vector graphic of it.

Your "to do" list must be huge by now. :lol

But yeah, thanks. I'd appreciate that. It's not a crucial detail, so there's no rush from me.

Making a start on the clock for the clock tower. I'm pretty happy with how the roman numerals and the hands turned out. Tomorrow I'll do the fancy edging and the rest of the section.

In building this, I've discovered a few interesting things.

It appears that the clock they made for part 3 with the iconic photo with Doc/Marty in front of the clock isn't all too accurate to the one actually on the clock tower.
The shape of the hands is different at the pivot (which appears to be because the clock in part 3 follows the original clock blueprints I found, whereas it looks like they made changes while making the original one for the clock tower).
Also the rotation of the roman numerals is parallel per hour, rather than being rotated per character, so for example the XII and VII look really weird.
And the outer rim doesn't seem as thick, and appears to lack the bolts that mark the minutes around the edge.

So if anyone's ever building themselves a scale BTTF clock, keep all of that in mind. :p

... It appears that the clock they made for part 3 with the iconic photo with Doc/Marty in front of the clock isn't all too accurate to the one actually on the clock tower. ...

70 years lie between 1885 and 1955. Maybe the first clock has been destroyed by a lightning and the clock on the clock tower is just a bad replica. :D

Here are some new renders of the clock tower. The shutters and moldings are mostly done at this point.
I still need to finish off the fancy edging on the clock and build the statues, which will take some work, since that's organic modelling, and not architectural like the rest, so the blueprints won't help me there.

Still working on the clock tower. I've camera matched a good reference photo, so I'm working on getting this as accurate as possible now. If you compare the photo and the render, you can see that it's fairly accurate.
I've been working on the pillars today. I don't think I got the molding around the base 100%, but I'm happy with how the pillars look.
I also made a small start on the puma statues, although they currently look like smoothed blobs. :lol

The top clock section still isn't attached, but that will be done very soon!

When you have finished the pumas you could sell them on shapeway as statues..
You should check out the movie Cat People where they are also featured.
Cat People (1982 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oh wow, thanks for that! In my research about those statues the other day, I didn't come across that bit of info. I always assumed they were made specifically for BTTF. I'll have to find a copy of that.

The more you know!

Then I guess you don't have this one :)
55729246458831689604595.jpg

If you need more reference for the pillars the same courthouse (on the Universal Backlot) was also used in Bruce Almighty, Gremlins, and I think Sneakers. There's probably others as well.

Then I guess you don't have this one :)

I found that one just before you posted it. :lol But I didn't find it until after you pointed out their origin. :thumbsup

I checked out the movie, and the statue is part of their zoo set, and there are about 10-20 of the statues along the tops of the brick walls inbetween the animal cages. There are a couple of good close-up shots, and a few other shots that might be able to help with scale. Definitely some useful reference in there.

Universal City : An Image Gallery - Courthouse Square

There's a great close up of the pillars about half way down the page. Don Knotts is standing between them.

BTTFtour | 1955 COURTHOUSE SQUARE LOCATION

A couple of shots here as well.

Thanks! I've used that first link extensively for courthouse square, especially the Cafe '80s, but I'd never seen the second link though, so a lot of excellent pics there that I hadn't seen before that will be very useful.

Thanks for all of the links, guys. I've spent a lot of time searching the net for reference, so I've already seen a lot of it, but you're still coming up with great stuff I haven't seen before, and it all helps!

Slight update on the courthouse. I've almost finished the top arch section now, and I managed to find a font that with a bit of editing is fairly close to the original for the "HILL VALLEY COURTHOUSE MALL" lettering.

Getting close to done now! New pic is a super high res render. :cool

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back