Guardians of the Galaxy Marvel Comics Question?

IndyFanChuck

Sr Member
I have never read any Gardians of the Galaxy but after I read a really interesting article about the comic book and upcoming movie on IGN, it got me wondering.

WHERE in the world do I begin if I'm going to read the Guardians of the Galaxy comic books? Are there collections I need to read first? What ORDER do I need to read them in!?

Help me here GotG fans!!!

Thank you!!!!!

It kind of depends, as a team they appeared in random titles starting off Marvel Super Heroes #18 Jan. 1969.
Marvel Two-In-One #4–5
Giant Size Defenders #5
Defenders #26–29
Marvel Presents #3–12
Thor Annual #6
The Avengers #167–177

Shortly after that they had a self titled run Guardians of the Galaxy that ran for 62 issues before being cancelled. They also had a 4 part mini series Galactic Guardians.

The 2008 team Guardians of the Galaxy
Guardians of the Galaxy (vol. 2) #1 which ran for 25 issues.
The Thanos Imperative 1–6
Avengers Assemble #4 (most recent)

I'm sure the "movie" story will be completely different from the "comic" story, so why bother with the "order". Just read and enjoy.

Yeah the movie will obviously introduce the guardians to the marvel movie universe, so as far as fitting in with the current movie canon it will all be explained for us?

My main interest in the GoG is specifically for Adam Warlock. He is the main guy in the whole Infinity Gauntlet series. I think Drax is mentioned for about 6 seconds until Thanos crushes him and Hulk has to come to the brief rescue, until Thanos makes Hulk regret that. I am really interested to see them create a new story, but still base it around the Gauntlet and to see how Warlock fits into that plan. If Starlord and Rocket come along for the ride, great. But really that is my interest in a GoG movie.

That would make sense why Thanos was at the end of the Avengers then, if they are putting him in the next group movie and not using him as the villain in Thor like everyone thinks.

That would make sense why Thanos was at the end of the Avengers then, if they are putting him in the next group movie and not using him as the villain in Thor like everyone thinks.

It would make since for him to be the villain in thor becuase the Infinity Gauntlet is in Odin's treasure room but if he gets the Infinity Gauntlet Thor wouldn't be able to stop him on his own. in the comics it took almost every character in marvel just to stall him enough for someone to find the chance to take it from him. that being said the cosmic beings in the universe would have to come in the play if the Infinity Gauntlet was to be used and i would like to see how they would make Eternity in live action.

I have never read any Gardians of the Galaxy but after I read a really interesting article about the comic book and upcoming movie on IGN, it got me wondering.

WHERE in the world do I begin if I'm going to read the Guardians of the Galaxy comic books? Are there collections I need to read first? What ORDER do I need to read them in!?

Thank you!!!!!
_________________________________________________________________[Well there new/old guardians teams

The newest one is Writing by Brian Michael Bendis Started a intro 0.1 comic.
Teams are Groot Gamora Drax the Destroyer Iron Man Rocket star lord Rocket Raccoon.a friend say he doesn't like the new wardrobe because there(too mass effect looking)
the old costumes are better.i don't mind rocket new costums i just don't like the way he draws rockets face.i stared with realm of kings and got some of the older guardians
GOTG.jpg
older ones pic

Last edited:
the Annihilation: Conquest series is where the newer group reformed. well worth the read but read Annihilation first. reading thru War of Kings right now and theyre kicking butt

Sadly I have no clue who any of these new Guardians are. Last time I read it Vance was still in charge and carrying Captain America's shield.

the Annihilation: Conquest series is where the newer group reformed. well worth the read but read Annihilation first. reading thru War of Kings right now and theyre kicking butt
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
my friend just let me hold his annihilation book one
portrait_incredible.jpg
haven't read all of it but so far this is a great read for the cosmic hero's

Thank you!!!!!

I Highly recommend the Abnett & Lanning series from 2009-2010 you can get the Trade Paper Backs on Amazon the series was FANTASTIC whilst you're at it I would also highly recommend the Nova series also by Abnett and Lanning.

Happy reading, I envy you being new to this and reading them for the first time.

Jamie

_________________________________________________________________[Well there new/old guardians teams

The newest one is Writing by Brian Michael Bendis Started a intro 0.1 comic.
Teams are Groot Gamora Drax the Destroyer Iron Man Rocket star lord Rocket Raccoon.a friend say he doesn't like the new wardrobe because there(too mass effect looking)
the old costumes are better.i don't mind rocket new costums i just don't like the way he draws rockets face.i stared with realm of kings and got some of the older guardians
older ones pic

That's the team I'm used to right there.

I honestly believe the film(s) are going to be (very) loosely based off the Annihilation, War of Kings, Realm of Kings and Thanos Imperative arcs since they heavily involve the Guardians, Nova Corps and of course, Thanos. Hopefully, Adam Warlock, The Inhumans, Shi'ar Imperial Guard and Starjammers get some love. I would settle for just Phyla-Vell.

Too bad some of the mutants (Havoc, Polaris, Rachel Summers) that are a big part of the arcs can't be in the films if they wanted to go that way. We can only hope Marvel/Disney and Fox can work something out if such a thing could happen.

honestly just read volume (the 2008 run) everything so ar is being based off of that and i doubt thanos imperatove has ANYTHING to do with this movie besides the fact thanos is appearing in it

if you can track down marvel preview #4 THAT is an amazing read. starlords origin story is amazing and well done

and stay far away from the new guardians of the galaxy series....

The Marvel Now series basically just started, I think it's issue 4 or 5 right now. You can just pick them up.

Taking what I have learned from here, Wikipedia, and Amazon reviews, think I will start with this series:

and continue with this one:

Sound like a good start to get ready for the movie?

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back