Awesome X-Men Wolverine Claws...so who's gonna take these on!

silverskyes402

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Here is a pic of a set of claws used in the first X-Men, you can see these when Magneto pulls the claws from Wolverines body on the train...barely, all you can see in the shot was the small X's, but now we have a great pic...so which one of you guys is gonna take these on, I know i'd love to own a set ;)

I love how they put so much detail in them even tho it didn't show in the film!

Higher res pic here: X-Men Prop Exhibition! « PropBlock

16-1-1.jpg

see even then NO ONE LIKED the bs backstory that QUESADA ruined .

wolverine is a spy ( and like a true spy ) NEEDS NO ORIGIN because it would and DID RUIN the mystery .

as for the claws , o_O beautiful and needs to be either in a bar or living room situation in ones home :)

do we know what the symbols are for ??? and how heavy they are ??

Oh yes... OH YES... OHHHH YEEEEES.

Me having a propgasm.

THOSE are the ones I'd love to own a set of. YUMMY!!!

Thanks for sharing that picture.

Those weren't used in the train scene, But they were definitely made by Jimmy Claws. This is the set that was used. I dislike the fact that they credit Smith with Creating the Claws that is completely Untrue
image-2.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting exhibit!

There used to be a great 2 part interview with James Gawley "Jimmy Claws" about his work making the claws for the films but the link appears to be dead now. :(
http://krisabel.ctv.ca/blog/_archives/2006/10/26/2450347.html

I have most of them saved from this interview including some shots of the claws in this exhibit-
image-1-1.jpg

image-6.jpg

image-3-1.jpg

image-2-1.jpg

norm-498685f2858ea-XMen2000.jpg

Looks like these were made to push through a prosthetic rubber fist to get the "over extended" look.

I tried to find the interview on the internet archive as well to no luck. I think he mentions these claws in the piece.

Nick

Last edited:
Actually held one of those metal claws when Jimmy paid a visit to an FX company I worked at years ago in Toronto around the time they were shooting X1... Should have lifted one... or three LOL!

Interesting exhibit!

There used to be a great 2 part interview with James Gawley "Jimmy Claws" about his work making the claws for the films but the link appears to be dead now. :(
http://krisabel.ctv.ca/blog/_archives/2006/10/26/2450347.html

I have most of them saved from this interview including some shots of the claws in this exhibit-

Looks like these were made to push through a prosthetic rubber fist to get the "over extended" look.

I tried to find the interview on the internet archive as well to no luck. I think he mentions these claws in the piece.

Nick

The first page of this interview has been archived here:
Kris Abel's Tech Life | Making Wolverine

It is a shame they didn't get the second page. That is the one that had all the good info about the wearable claws. There was a measurement that was posted there that I just went looking for but alas the site is down. The told everyone exactly how many inches apart the claws were from each other and mentioned that they were constantly checking the distance between claws for continuity.

If anyone has save the webpage or any of the info about the claws in particular that measurement I mentioned then please share. ;)

Anyways, I am making a set of claws if anyone is interested. Check the link in my signature.

I bet we can just email kris Abel directly. He seems like a big fan.

He might even have more and better pics too!

Oh yeah, I found a complete archive here:
Wolverine Blog

But I think Kris Able would probably have higher res pics. Still this is a gift to find the complete article. I saved the website to my computer so I wouldn't have to worry about it disappearing.

Whats funny is that's not Jackman's arm, its Tom Woodruff's.

They made that at ADI and its still sitting in the Gallery along with a set of claws
and a set of the Bone claws they had Love sculpt for Origins. So not sure why the
interview says its Jackman's.

The other thing is they never fired it on set because it was set at 90 PSI and fired the claws so fast that it scared the crap outta the stunt safety people and they said Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

so the shot where you see this prop arm being used, was shot then reversed for the scene in the film with everything being manually done.

At least that's how it was told to me by Woodruff Jr.

So the interview has a lot of the info just a little out of order or the short hand version, but that doesn't matter at all because the claws were amazing and only got better thru the three films. And the ones from Wolverine look to be a little different this time as well.

On the not of the gearing and blood lines put into the extended claws.... well that being cool and all goes against the original of the claws just being plated, because he always had bone claws...... so not sure how gear tracks and blood glooves in them make sense based on comic originals.

But who cares about that when the details look bitchen.

Wolverine's Metal Claws at the TIFF Bell Lightbox Exhibit "X-Men Master: Gordon Smith".
Photo credit Brian McKechnie, Criticize This!
8903888193_1b616e8467_o.jpg8903889505_1b2eb39377_o.jpg

I could take a stab at them. I could cut some out of 1/4" aluminum and engrave the sides but I don't think I could match the blade edges. Anyone know what's on the top side? Looks like it has markings on it too.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back