Polyurethane resin and epoxy resin...a query?

kwalsh0000

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey lads,

For those who may have tested this before just wondering how it worked out?

I do most of my casts in polyurethane resin and back them with fibreglass soaked with polyurethane but its hit and miss, sometimes the casts can be quite rough inside so they are scraped.

After seeing Matts videos on fibreglassing I thought..huh..epoxy resin and fibreglass, I have not tried that yet (polyester is a no no as it takes too long to set up and smells too much for the spare room in the house, well ventilated and i use a respirator but dont want to expose the rest of the house to the smell and fumes)

So I wonder has anyone made a polyurethane cast and then done the matting with epoxy resin and does it stick or soak properly esp if done when recently cast or would it be the case of polyurethane..then epoxy then another layer of polyurethane to seal it all together?

Cheers!

The short answer is yes, that will work. However, you will need to buy fibreglass mat that is designed to be used with epoxy resin. That, or use the fibreglass cloth, as it doesn't matter with you use polyester or epoxy resin with that.

I've used epoxy before, and the lack of smell is great, but it is significantly more expensive than polyester, and your choice of mat is limited because of the lack of compatibility with standard mats. All I've found is a 450g mat for epoxy, which is a little heavy for detailed pieces.

Thanks!
I actually bought matting that will work with epoxy before so still have it laying around so should be good to go in that regard. As you say its a little bit more pricey but for the lack and smell and what I hope is extra strength then its worth it.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back