River Song’s Alpha Meson Blaster: Finished Pics Post 14

vistaVision

Sr Member
I loved the look of this blaster from the first moment I saw it. It’s so clunky and all the angular surfaces and curves give it a lot of character. I think it’s much more interesting than any sonic screwdriver!

I’ve been puttering around with this project for some time. Last year I started teaching myself SketchUp and a few of the blaster parts made for good practice subjects. Didn’t get far with all the drawings of blaster parts, but did get familiar with the program. I like making old-fashioned pencil drawings when working on projects, so went that direction and decided to stop thinking about it and just start building.

The original prop was built around a Nerf Scout IX-3, so that seemed an appropriate starting point. I could never tell if other found parts or other Nerf parts were used, so beyond the grip and trigger area, I scratch-built in sheet styrene. WIP pictures show the various patterns for molds and casting of the final replica is yet to come.

Need to finish a few detail parts, then stack it all up, primer/sand, etc. Will post more pictures soon as progress is moving along rapidly now.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Re: Doctor Who: River Song’s Alpha Meson Blaster.

Have the blaster assembled, and now going through the efforts needed to point it all up, fix flaws, and so on. A few progress pics:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

Oh, I do love a scratch build with nice, crisp, clean lines. Kudos! :) Looking forward to more pics.

Thanks for the nice comments. I'll have more pics as I finish the patterns and begin casting final parts. Then assembly, paint and weathering. It's been a fun project.

All I need is a lot more skill, patience, and tools and BAMMO, I can start cranking out awesomeness like this. Well done, I'll be watching this thread...

Just finishing up the patterns. Have switched over to white primer which is kind of neat, as it gives an idea of what a finished blaster will look like. This will be a lot of fun to weather! Mold making and casting materials on the way from Smooth On, arriving Tuesday. Will have more to show very soon! Stay tuned...

Sharp and crisp! Can't wait to see the finished product.

Looks good... But I think Sonic Screwdrivers are just as interesting as River's blaster. :p

Finally managed to get a casting painted. The weathering on this was challenging to me. The actual prop is heavily over-weathered with a lot of grunge, grime and hand-brushed streaks and such. I've tried to balance that with the "screen look." I don't understand why River doesn't take better care of her weapon?? Here are a few pics:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Finished I.JPG
    Finished I.JPG
    169.4 KB · Views: 3,535
  • Finished II.JPG
    Finished II.JPG
    207.6 KB · Views: 5,199

Ok new to the boards and just working up the guts to pick a project and post about it. Reading thru this and seeing your finished product is freaking inspirational.

How long have you been up to this ?

Great job you should be very proud!!

Are you guys sure this isnt a modded nerf night fire used for the show? by looking at screen caps, its nearly identical as far as the bottom goes but looks to have a box added to the top rail mount.
medium.jpg
I could be wrong but the main reason I think this is similar is the bottom front laser light box is strikingly similar but maybe ive got the wrong nerf. Great job on your prop!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back