MiB Orion's Belt (Done! Aug 25th, page 2)

JOATRASH FX

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey all,

With the two Standard Issue pistols on the way I was inspired and decided to tackle this "little" project. (Not so little as it turns out, which is why i suspect there have been so few made!) I'm trying to push the boundaries of what can be done with 3d printing and am preparing some sort of "mythbusting thread" about it as a lot of folks seem very skeptical about the technology (for one, no one seems to want 3d printed kits and I don't think it's only down to the high cost, lol). This seemed like a perfect project to push some boundaries regarding detail.

I did a whole lot of searching for photos and found a lot of variants out there. Most versions (even the small original) seem to be hand-cast and i wanted to see if I could come close to the hero prop used in the closeup FX shot but still keep it small. Well, after a hole lot of work, here are the first results.

Parts have been printed in sterling silver and plastic. So far I'm REALLY liking the silver. The photos show the "raw" silver pieces. There are some very minimal print lines there that will be buffed out but the detail is amazingly sharp. The plastic version is also visible in the photos and has received a first-stage coat of paint. Keep in mind that these are small. The holes for the rods are only 1mm (about 20 gauge) in diameter! I found a few dark-blue glass beads with tiny silver specs in them that kinda made them look like space.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Now I just have to assemble the things... time to start bending 1mm rod... stay tuned for more progress!

Last edited:
Re: MiB Orion's Belt (work in progress)

I would say: Run for this... :love

Loos nice so far... Excited to see how you get the whole galaxy in this thing... :lol

Would you try to make Lily's ring from Legend? Here it is if you don't know how it looks Lili's Ring (from the movie Legend)

That looks pretty complex... but I'm sure it could be done (though I'm not the biggest fan of the film... haven't been able to watch it all the way through...) The enamel would probably have to be done with transparent colored epoxy or something.

I would say: Run for this... :love

Loos nice so far... Excited to see how you get the whole galaxy in this thing... :lol
Hehe... maybe not a big run but I will have extra parts and perhaps a couple buildups left over. And I'll figure out a way to cram that darn galaxy in there! So far the hardest part has been finding a nice enough glass ball for it...

Have to start experimenting with a suitable wash of color to bring out the details in the silver.

Last edited:

No, probably not. You would also need to find a place that does custom shapes... can't imagine there are many places that will do small marbles!

You might consider a glass blower to make the marble. I have seen some amazing things done with glass at that size.

Nice looking galaxy so far! I agree that the sterling is probably the smoothest and sharpest printed material we could use for something of this size.

I almost thought it was mine for a second!..:lol I worked on one a ways back when I started cad modeling and when shapeways first started offering sterling silver. Mine also has allot of proportional inaccuracies being one of my first models, but someday I will get back around to it and redo all of it. I wish there was a full picture of the Hero Galaxy somewhere to work from instead!

Galaxy1.png

I had a heck of a time tracking down accurate marbles though and I still haven't found anything quite close enough. The marble looks to be a crackled/swirly glass marble of some sort. I'm not sure but other than the blueish tint to the screen-used marbles, they look to be a similar type as the non-blue/clear one pictured below.

orb-jewel-men-in-black-by-heidi-nahser.jpg

MeninBlackm2ts_004388833.png

Good luck with your project!

-Carson

Pretty cool.

I wonder if the "marble" is actually either crystal or resin.

Well, it was made by a real jeweler, so it's probably real glass or crystal. As it is now I think I'm going to stick with the dark blue marble I have... it's got the sparkles inside which look like tiny stars... so it still kinda fits the galaxy theme.

It would also be fairly easy to paint some swirls with tinted paint. I might actually try that with a couple!

I did mine in polished silver, came out very nice with no clean up or polishing.
You can also print the thin arms, they come out nice as well.
6310551792_875997a369.jpg

6310030427_1fb33eb2f2.jpg

Ah, so you did the top arms separate. Interesting solution. I didn't want to risk the thin arms not filling out in the mold, so I decided to add them later. (Actually taking break from doing it now... going pretty well.)

Some progress. For my test build I'm using 1mm thick aluminum tubing. It's easy to shape and work with, even if the color doesn't match completely (though polishing up the silver will take away some of the yellow tone).

I'm in contact with a glass-blower in the UK (mentioned above) that MIGHT be able to do correctly sized marbles. (Apparently, doing them this small is pushing it.) He's pretty busy and I don't want to rush him, so we'll see, but he does know what they will be used for. Until then, the dark-blue "starfield" marbles I have will do as placeholders.

attachment.php

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back