Resin Safety Question - Would this be safe?

flamingBurrito

So I live in an apartment in NYC and thus I don't have a shed/garage or backyard to do any work in.

I do have a tiny half bathroom (about 3' x 4') with a window, and so I was thinking I could get a window fan to blow the fumes out the window and wear a respirator and work with the door closed, but I'm not really sure if it would be safe and so I wanted advice.

I have one of these respirators Amazon.com: NIOSH approved against certain organic vapors and particulates. Use for a variety of applications including spray painting, pesticides, agriculture, construction and transportation. [PRICE is per BAG]: Home Improvement

So would this be safe? Or should I just go look for an alternative place to do my resin/fiberglassing?

I wouldn't.

Resin/fiberglassing/bondo requires a backyard or a garage. Period, IMO. If you live in an apartment, you need apartment friendly materials.

If the guy have an exhauster, and he is working with an proper respirator with anti organic particles filter, he will be totally fine.

what i don't indicate ppl to do is: workin in a small room without any exhauster and not wearing a proper respirator

*make sure that this exhauster you are going to use is right above the fumes exhalation.

Depends on the amount and type of material your mixing. The kitchen counter is my main casting area and my cat sits Gargoyle style on the fridge just to the right helping.

Now, you mention fiberglass. Good luck with that in your living area. It reeks to high hell and can be rather messy on a microscopic level. Thats why I never touch the stuff.

i think doing it in a confined area even with a window fan and respirator would be very risky. the smallest area i have worked in with resin is a 2 car garage, with the garage door completely open, wearing a respirator, other than that, i do it outside when we get a nice day. I personally wouldn't want to risk any other.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back