Obi-Wan ANH Saber video and discussion

MattMunson

Master Member
I have a separate thread running for my video interviews with fellow RPF'ers, but I wanted to give this particular entry special attention as it focuses on a prop that is in my opinion at the core of what the RPF is all about.

The Obi-Wan ANH saber.

The reason I think it's such an important pieces is two fold.

First, it shows how far a prop can come during the life of the forum. When I first started coming here, the only thing anyone knew was that it had a graflex clamp on it, and that there was a motorcycle grip involved. These were the "facts" at the time. lol.

Since then, the ENTIRE saber has been identified, and people have even been dedicated enough to build an entire saber from the correct found parts.

Second, it shows how far the forum and it's members have come in producing immensely high quality parts and products for us. Once the parts were identified and measured, members cranked out precision parts that allowed users to build near-perfect replicas of what was seen on screen. ZERO guesswork went into these.

I find that just amazing, and I'm so thrilled to have had a chance not only to see E-Wan's saber, but also to film it and discuss it with him.

Please take a few minutes to check out this video and let me know what you think. In my mind, this video is PERFECTLY targeted toward the RPF, and I hope you'll enjoy it.

Ewan Interview - Obi-Wan Kenobi Light Saber Deconstruct - YouTube

Cool video. :thumbsup

I'm glad all the parts of this saber have been identified, having just finished building one myself and using it for my first posts here on the RPF. I finally have my Holy Grail of props.

Avolow.

Cool thread and have to agree with the 'now' (more than ever) importance of Obi-Wan's saber - both from the movie's stand point as the first saber seen in use in all its unleashed glory, placing it on most Xmas whish-lists for years to follow, and from a movie prop maker's creativity point of view. Specially as finding the real parts is becoming increasingly difficult and expensive but still do-able. I mean... Sticking an aircraft engine part on the end of a riffle grenade and capped off with a sink tap seperated by a flash clip, how does that even happen as a thought process?

Having grown up near a R.A.F base during the '70s and '80s I know now that some of these parts where probably sligtly more available and for free if you could find them in the small scrap yard round the back of the airfield. Once or twice a year you could pick up the decommissioned grenade parts for less than £5 at fairs on the site. I think even the public toilets there had the tap parts! If only we had known *facepalmheaddeskandrepeat*.

But, was Obi-Wan's saber the first Sci-Fi weapon to use a tap handwheel? Here's some pics from 'Star Maidens' of two blasters with a very familiar look to them. These, I think, are the other type of commonly available taps made for either the bath or central heating radiators. These props would of been made in early to mid 1975. Maybe a coincidence in the designs, or is there more to the history of Obi-Wans weapon of choice?

And yet you didn't even notice my all-authentic-parts Obi-Wan saber while you were here... ;)

I had noticed it when I first joined. That is awesome! :thumbsup I would love to be able to build an all original parts version, but man they can break the bank.:cry There is currently a grenade piece on eBay, and they want $1400-$1500 for it. :cry No doubt because of the Star Wars community as other grenades from that era are not that expensive.

Just glad all the parts are identified and we have machinists that are able to make wonderful looking replicas so we can put this thing together. :thumbsup

Quick pic of mine.

IMG_20120807_121855.jpg

Just need to start working on the crystal chamber for it and it will be perfect for me. :)

Avolow.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back