1:4 scale Peter Cushing as Van Helsing sculpt - a WIP

ob1al

Sr Member
For a while now I've wanted to make a 1:4 'Premium Format' style Peter Cushing as Van Helsing, from the 1958 version of 'Dracula'.

My plan is to sculpt the head based on the slightly fuller-faced younger Cushing, custom make all the clothing, bag, vampire hunting kit and so on:

vanhelsing.jpg

I've made a start over a few hours tonight, the sculpt is really rough at the moment but hopefully the likeness is beginning to show?

391203_4398684282504_1119804129_n.jpg

I'll update this thread as I progress if there is any interest in me doing so?

Please let me know what you think so far, constructive criticism welcomed!

Al

Last edited:
Looks pretty good Al; the only critique I'd make is that the lower half of his face seems a bit narrow (looking at your screencap especially). Seems a bit more 1970's.

Love the idea though :thumbsup

Thanks guys, yeah I totally agree. I've just tried to fix that by adding a bit more width to the lower face, hopefully he looks more 1958 now?

vanhelsing.jpg

IMG_2299.jpg

Obviously, the finer detail still needs to be added, in particular the eyes which are lazy at the moment - I haven't worked on those much yet, but I think the basic facial structure is there now? If you see anything that's way off to your eye, please do let me know.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, that's it; the brow ridge might be a bit pronounced, but I can definitely see the "chubbier" Cushing there!

BTW, I meant to ask earlier, but what are you using for the sculpt and eyes?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm using super sculpey for the sculpt.

For the base figure, I'm using a quarter scale figure body which I've modified to be better proportionally. I've dremmelled the original head features away and I'm sculpting around the remains.

Glad to hear it's headed in the right direction, thanks for that. I've continued to tweak away at the sculpt since the last batch of pics were taken - I'll try to get some more up soon. Yeah, the brow ridge is a little too pronounced, thanks for that - I'll fix it.

Gotta sleep now though or I'LL be like a vampire in the morning!

Al

A fantastic likeness already!
No mean feat at that scale.
I was privileged to attend a BFI Q&A with him in his later years. Unforgettable.
Good to see Hammer represented.

More progress pics. One step forward and two steps back in a sense, but I am managing to refine the detail somewhat. It's not right yet though, still loads to do to perfect this. I won't be satisfied until it's perfect.

It's pretty tough sculpting in this small scale and not cartoonising the features. I'm really trying to avoid that, particularly with Peter's cheek structure.

Anyway, here's where I am at. I'd really appreciate any feedback, observations, criticisms and so forth:

cushingsculpt1.jpg

cushingsculpt2.jpg

Tiring of cheekbones, I started on some accessories last night:

cushingsculpt4.jpg

How would you like your stake sir? ;)

Last edited:
Yet more progress pics. Lot's of hours going into this, but I think I'm in danger of overthinking it. I might have a day or two away from it and come back with fresh eyes. Here's where I am at right now:

IMG_2367.jpg

IMG_2359.jpg

Cool subject, Cushing is a legend. Looking at where the sculpt is now could I suggest something? I get the feeling that what may be knocking the likeness off line right now more than anything else is the eyes. Roughly I'd say in reality the vertical distance on the visible part of his iris is about half the vertical distance from his nose to mouth. On the sculpt it is only about a third, so they are way too small.

PeterCushing1.png

Also the ears look like they could do with being bigger and higher.

PeterCushingSherlockHolmes.png

Maybe with the eyes and ears enlarged the rest of the head proportions might be easier to wrangle into shape?

Thanks Columbo for your critique, I completely agree! I am working on those areas right now.

Nice reference pics too. :)

Resculpted the eyes and moved the ears higher up. Looking at the most recent photos, I still think the ears need to go up a fraction further.

Overall, I think it's looking better. I still see several areas which need improvement, as demonstrated here:

IMG_23792.jpg

IMG_2379.jpg

Thoughts? Are there any other aspects (not noted in the diagram) which I should work on? Aside from the crappy sculpey crucifix that is. Will be using a metal crucifix for the final statue.

Thanks Columbo for your critique, I completely agree! I am working on those areas right now.

Nice reference pics too. :)

Looks to be going well in latest photos. Reviewing those I picked up on a few points.

1. The hairline is too high. It also looks off centre. The front lowest part should be directly above the nose and sweep up in a broad V from there.

2. The brow bones are too far off horizontal. The slope from inner end to outer should be very slight.

3. The nose is too short. Distance from corner of eye down to where side loop of nostril starts needs to be further.

Its tricky to judge from photos that are 3/4 view but to my eye these areas would benefit from a little adjustment.

Cool sculpt. I think I would also broaden the chin and bottom of the jaw a little, as it is looking rather pointy right now. He's bony, but definitely not a narrow skull.

Making the eyebrow ridges above the eyes more straight rather than angling downwards out towards the ears, will also bring the likeness closer, as currently, he just looks somewhat sad.

I've had a eureka moment on this one. Actually started the entire head again from scratch, I know what I'm doing now after struggling with Cushing's likeness for so long. Really want to thank you guys for the input, it has been most helpful! :)

Give me a couple of days to work on him and I'll share the new (V2) pics. :)

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back