Young Justice Robin - DC Costume WIP

MMAndrew

2-2610.jpg

So, I've kinda been toying with this off and on for a few weeks, not even sure if I'm going to complete it or not, but here it is.

It should be known, I've never done anything like this before, and this would be my first 'build'.

The mask is just foam cut and layered with liquitex (which didn't work out too well), but I might just go in on a Xtreme Design FX mask instead.

Not sure yet about the black stitching down the middle, or whether or not I'll do the pieces that extend to the legs.. or how I'll even do this damn belt :facepalm

Any suggestions, help, or general costume making tutorials would be appreciated!

I might suggest the black stitching down the middle be a hidden zipper-the pull would be hidden by the cape, and it would make the tunic easy to get into. I am making this for a client,and that's how I'm doing it.

Looking good so far. I agree with the black lining down the middle as it separates the torso to make it look like an armour instead of a sheet lol. Keep it up!

The foam mask can work. Try this: just after cutting heat it up with a hair dryer (or leave it outside if it's really hot out) the you can bend and form it to fit your face better. Then layered with liquitex .

I like the zipper idea, Looch!
I think what has me concerned is cutting it, being that it's spandex.
Does it cut like normal fabric? or will it go all crazy on me?

Yup, it cuts just like any other fabric. If you are concerned however, put a zip in the back instead, 9" should do. The back would then be made in2 pieces, and you would sew with a regular stitch length until you got to the point where the bottom of the zip was and switch your stitch length to a "basting" size. Pin the zip to it, sew it on, and remove the basting stitch. Questions?

It's looking great so far man, I'm actually working on the same thing, and I've been hoping somebody else would be interested in this character.

This is probably a bit soon to ask, but I've been wanting to figure it out for a while now.
Are his boots jika-tabi style boots? The reason I ask is because they seem to have a line separating them near the big toe. That's what it looks like to me anyway. Let me know what you think.
Good luck.

This looks good so far, I'm making my own Robin suit and on my test tunic I bought an all black zipper at Michael's an stitched on the middle it isn't functional though it's just there for show but it definitely helps make it look more like armor as previously stated. Good luck on your build :D

Are his boots jika-tabi style boots? The reason I ask is because they seem to have a line separating them near the big toe. That's what it looks like to me anyway. Let me know what you think.
Good luck.

I believe they are, but I was thinking of going with some cheaper water shoes, at least for now.

This looks good so far, I'm making my own Robin suit and on my test tunic I bought an all black zipper at Michael's an stitched on the middle it isn't functional though it's just there for show but it definitely helps make it look more like armor as previously stated. Good luck on your build :D

I might end up doing that, instead! I'm not too worries about it being functional, anyway :lol

Also.
I put this on the back burner for a while, but am looking to finish it for at least Halloween, if not, a convention in mid November.

Will post my new progress here in a bit when I get the images uploaded!

tumblr_mcfhqe6yNS1qjwavso1_500.jpg

So here's how it's looking right now.
I finally did the cape, and I gotta say, I'm pretty proud of myself.
The only issue is nothing's sewn, It's all super glued =/
After this, though.. I WILL LEARN!
I've got the belt pieces made, I just need to attach them (thinking velcro).
And the R needs re-done. I might just do that with that foam clay stuff.

As for the colors, it really should be darker.. but I like the more original, bright colors with the modern design.

Looks pretty good so far although I would have gone with a darker red and a different material. Like the others, I would add the seam going down the middle as well as the side seams in the front and back, it helps break up the plainness of the costume and makes it look more like YJ Robin as opposed to the old 60s Robin.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back