Scarlet-Spider Costume Completed (+Convention Pics)

rodimus184

So this is my entrance into the cosplaying world as far as actually making a costume goes (the one in my profile pic/ sig doesn't count as it was a friend who made that suit :))

To go along with the recent Spiderman hype I plan to create a Scarlet-Spider costume for the London MCM Expo in October of this year. I've always been a big fan of the home-made feel of his costume along with the character and design in general.

First off I started simple; cutting out the nets for the ankle pouches from cardboard. This will then be covered in a leather material (pleather?) along with the straps stitched in place. I think I'll need to reinforce these with a thicker cardboard if they are to be functional.

S7300612.jpg

Then it was on to creating a template for the eye lenses. These will be made from craft foam due to it being fairly durable and inexpensive. They are yet to be cut out and glued in place.

S7300812.jpg

Next up were the webshooters that will be created from this ID card holder with various parts added to it and finished in a coat of silver paint.

S7300813.jpg

I'm still on the fence whether to make any web-cartridges or not; either in a Black-Widow esque wristband form or simply integrated into the webshooters themselves.

Lastly we have the suit itself, a basic red morph suit. I think I'll need to gain a few pounds before the event (been eating tons of food as well as simply working out to counter this predicament, to no avail so far :( ). I may also need to invest in a dance-belt according to my girlfriend to hide my meat and two veg :lol
Or some simple duct-tape should suffice....

IMG_20120808_143021.jpg

While I'm happy with the suit in general (particularly for the price I paid- £15) the mask is pretty meh. The chin and the neck seems to blur into one, it is VERY tight making it hard to breath and the overall shape seems a bit off.

S7300818.jpg

I was planning on cutting the mask off and having it as a separate piece so that I can take it off easily during the event but I've since seen this (see link below) and I think it'll work better that the one I already have. Plus with the extra neck length I won't need to worry about gaps appearing in the neck from where I've cut the original off.
Excellent!!! Zentai lycra spandex Red Mask | eBay
I think this is going to be my best option. Any advice/ opinons? :confused

So that's it so far, the only other things I have left to get are the blue hoodie, aqua shoes for the soles, a white spandex material for the eyes and a belt, along with all the other materials and accessories stated above.

Stay tuned! And any feedback/ constructive criticism will be very much appreciated :)
Thanks for looking!

Re: Scarlet-Spider costume WIP

Hey man, I feel you on the weight thing. I have a feeling if I ever decided to so a spandex suit, I'd look exactly the same XD
Keep at the eating tho! Be sure you're eating HEALTHY meals.
Eating well will gain you faster than eating fatty food.

Haha, I hear you man.
I've been eating like a horse for all my life really and only ever seem to fluctuate between the 8 - 9 stone mark :/
I guess it's down to how I work out/ what I eat, like you said.
Thanks for the help and advice :) Much appreciated

Hey man, are u on ebay seller ID Rodimus2205?
Its jst ur name resembles it and I have recently been speakin to this seller regarding Cpt Britain comics lol

ah no worries dude, just found it a coincidence when I realised haha

Did you go with Navy, Royal Blue, or Sky Blue?
I always thought the lighter shade looked better for the sweatshirt, so I might grab a sky blue one myself, just for future projects :p

Just a couple more updates to the costume. The Hoodie hasn't arrived yet but I've got the template all cut out ready:

S7300825.jpg

And next we have the webshooters.

S7300824.jpg

They're a bit crude but I feel they fit their purpose. On the left is the top view and on the right the underside. Not too sure how to attach them though :/ Glued in place? Using a safety pin? Velcro? <-- I think that one might work best, but any feedback is always appreciated :)
I was originally intending on using a ID card holder thing at first but when I couldn't find a second matching one I thought, 'Screw it, I'll just something else instead.'
These were constructed from various fodder bits and pieces I had lying around (Citadel paint lids, pens etc.) The design's very much influenced by the webshooters seen in The Amazing Spiderman.
They've been coated in a black undercoat and then all that's left to is spray them silver (once I pick up a can of spray paint) and add in other little painted details.

After that, it's only fabric related stuff left to do (eye lenses, leatherette for pouches and hoodie) Another possibility would be getting some aqua-shoes and glueing the soles to the bottom of the morphsuit to make it more comfortable to walk around in.

Another day, another update.

Managed to get some white fabric for the eye lenses. After glueing a pair and sewing another pair to see what way works best, (glueing turned out as the best option as I'd need two layers of foam with the sewing technique, making the lenses less easy to work with) it turned out they were massive on the face when test fitting:

IMG_20120902_000432.jpg

I've have since downsized the eyes and plan to hot-glue them into place.

Below is the progress of the eyes, from glued (top), sewn (middle) and downsized (bottom)

IMG_20120902_184130.jpg

P.S. Still waiting on the arrival of the hoodie

A couple of days ago the hoddie arrived, bit short in the arms though, but that doesn't matter as they're going to be lopped off haha.
Here's a before:

IMG_20120905_210643.jpg

Here's a WIP:

IMG_20120907_093019.jpg

And here's after:

IMG_20120907_131313.jpg

I'm really pleased with how this came out :) I just need to neaten up a few of the lines and alter the off-centred head.

Now, I think it's time for some test fitting ;D

And so, here's a quick test-fitting of the suit and hoodie.

IMAG0005.jpg

At this point my camera decided to go ****-up so I guess you could count this photo as a teaser for the what's to come :p

IMAG0006.jpg

As always, any feedback would be muchly appreciated and thanks for looking :)

Very nice man! It turn out pretty good! But I think you are TOO skinny. Spiderman has always been skinny but not that much. I think gaining 5-6 kgs, will make you look way better in the suit!!

lookin good dude, but I agree with Aris get some weight gain protein shakes down you and lift a few weights for a few month and you will be sorted..... and pleeeeeeeeease get a cup lol!!! ;)
keep up the good work....

Very nice man! It turn out pretty good! But I think you are TOO skinny. Spiderman has always been skinny but not that much. I think gaining 5-6 kgs, will make you look way better in the suit!!

Thanks man. Yeah, I know what you mean :lol I've been exercising and doubling my meal portions since the past couple of months but to no avail. Guess my metabolism must be stupidly high haha.

lookin good dude, but I agree with Aris get some weight gain protein shakes down you and lift a few weights for a few month and you will be sorted..... and pleeeeeeeeease get a cup lol!!! ;)
keep up the good work....

Yup, I'm planning on investing in one, only just noticed how awkward that photo is now :facepalm :rolleyes
*Stupid camera making it stand out even more*

Thanks for advice though mate :)

hahaha I'm just buggin ya dude... but yeah Spidey cosplayers all invest in cups or dance belts to hide the old man ;) lol!! I will be when I do my Future Foundation Spidey when I have finished up on my Cpt Britain costume, but yeah I definitely recommend a good weight gain protein to aid in bulking up... just upping your meals will help but VERY slowly, and you don't want to make the mistake of thinkin 'ah I will just eat a ton of Mc'd's' coz that will put the weight in the wrong places lol!!! it's the protien weight gaining you want to do, not fatty weight gaining, although it won't take you too long to get the right Spidey look anyways ;)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back