Catwoman TDKR Mask Build

Flipip

Hi All

My SO wants to dress as Catwoman for halloween, but looking online we couldn't find any really good replica mask/goggles - so being the fool I am I've decided to build one.

So far I'm nearly done with the clay sculpt (pictures below), however i need to do a few repairs and adjustments (to the nose etc) and then im going to sculpt the side pieces and hopefully the goggles in the same way. I've never used clay before so this is all a bit daunting really.

Im3UOh.jpg

auo2Hh.jpg

tUC2Kh.jpg

QRsz9h.jpg

B4WjXh.jpg

I think im going to go for a silicone mould and then cast the mask in polyurethane resin - does that sound about right or am i totally confused?

Phil

This is looking incredible!! I can't believe you say it's daunting when it looks so wonderful. The symmetry is fantastic...I always have issues getting things to match. I'm really excited to see how you finish it! I bet the carbon fiber decals will take it to a whole new level. LOVE that part of her mask...

I rebuilt the right hand side of the nose last night, it wasn't as symmetrical as I would like ^^

Im heavily researching the goggles at the moment, i think its going to have to be another clay build around a wire frame and then cast - I cant find any sunglasses im happy to use as a base, especially with the double ridge at the front, also this way it will allow me to make the lights completely integrated with the goggles which *should* mean that I can get the copper contacts to work so the lights only activate when the goggles are down.

Working on the side panles this weekend - plus getting the mask ready for its first molding

I have the carbon fiber vinyl on order at the moment, should finish the mask off nicely - however I still need to trial out some of the finishes for the mask - I'm really glad I started this project so early!

Phil

Hi everyone!
I´m also making this almost impossible costume. So far I´ve been working on the mask, using foamy. I share the pics and patterns if anyone is interest:
Catwoman - Vilkäl
Mine doesn´t look so great as Flipip´s, so please be merciful!

Flipip, it sounds like your plans are going to yield GORGEOUS and absolutely amazing results. I'm seriously so intrigued. @__@ Thanks for the update on your plans for it...except now I just can't wait to see it progress!

Vikal, you're an angel! Thanks for sharing your pattern! It looks fantastic for those of us on a tight budget. :D

Aelynn000, Glad that helps!
For better results you can replicate mine or Flipip ´s design using several layers of craft foam. No matter how many, once glued apply heat (near the stove is just fine) and bend it in the shape of your face.
Today I´m adding the second layer of paint and details that went missing on the pictures I posted.

By the way, I bougth a pair of PVC gloves that migth suit this costume:
Ladies Opera Evening Party Faux Leather PU Over Elbow Long Gloves 20" | eBay

This is looking great, Flipip! I like how the vents at the top are looking. How did you do the mannequin head? Does it match to your SO's face or it is a generic structure?

Hi guys sorry for the absence in posting

Progress on the next stage is slow - im still waiting for the silicone to arrive to make the mold, however i did finish up the side panels and started working on making screen accurate 'support arms' for the goggles (these will include the pivot point and the metal support rod so they should be fairly screen accurate)

I also ordered a few mini blue LED's , but i think they will need a small end cap to give that pin-***** style thats needed - this isn't an issue but it means i need to mold the goggles with this in mind - kinda glad i didn't just jump into making the frames this weekend now!

Thanks for the positive encouragement aelynn000 and faille - the head is just a generic head mannequin - however im hoping that it should fit snuggly - the polly urethane im planning to use to cast the mask wont be 100% solid so it should conform to the face quite well, I plan on backing the mask with some soft felt to keep it comfortable.

More pictures coming late on this week when hopefully i should have a completed facemask!

Phil

So exciting! I love your mention of the smallest attention to detail. This is going to turn out wonderful! O_O

I need to start a piggybank to I'll be able to buy one of the amazing recreations popping up on here.

The RPF is the reason I wish I were rich. :lol

Flipip how is this going? How will you do the cast to maintain the curve on the backside of the mask? Updates, please!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back