Thor Costume- eva foam project budget build 9/10

Shades

Hello!

It is almost halloween, my favorite weekend of the year and my little brother is flying out to spend it with me.

Now, he is a grad student so he has no time or money and being a good big brother, I want him to have something bad ass to wear.

He is a big Thor fan and his blonde hair blue eyes will help.

The budget on this is going to be tight because I am floating the bill and won't be selling it when I am done with it. My goal is to keep it under $150.

SfnQrl.jpg

So, I started with this BS. I have never bought one of these, but there are truly terrible. Besides being terrible material, the cut makes no sense at all. It was a waste of cash in retrospec, but it did solve the arm issues and I learn the best from mistakes, so I know now that trying to modify a store bought costume is a waste of time.:angry

Last edited:
Re: Thor Costume- eva foam project budget build

So I created my template and matched it up to the suit. The sizing is good, so I have my template.

5laq4l.jpg

Started cutting foam like a champ. I find it almost meditative after so many hours doing this.

7Hv9kl.jpg

yep, i did the exact same thing. that cut was worse than horrible.

I kind of took it to be a challenge... I said, I think I am good enough to turn this think around. :behave

I was wrong. I won't use much of the suit at all.

Up on the dummy. Start to look like something.

At this point, I still thought I was going to use the cape... that didn't last for long. It is way to small and short.

I did save the silver disks. I had the girl bust out the seam ripper and cut them from the suit. I do like them. As a tip, don't try to remove the disks if you are a big goon like me. I nearly ruined them before the girl stepped in. It is delicate work.

KIoQFl.jpg

Here is what I am going for.

pA1QDl.jpg

I am not shooting for 100% accuracy.

I am free handing a lot of the cuts and I am not using any pep models.

chest about 85% of the way there. Disks aren't glue down. Just taped for pics.

The cape has been scrapped. When to Joannes and drop $9 dollars on some red cotton.

I could have gotten better fabric, but I am working in a budget and 9 was better then 15.99 per yard of the stuff I would have gotten for a client build.

E5Towl.jpg

OSCcUl.jpg

One more shot.

There is nothing on the back yet and the shoulders are only attached to the chest, so they are floating.

Damn, your skills keep growing. I'm throughly impressed. Makes me want to retool my THOR... care to share patterns? Email me. ;) You've got mine.

Looks great so far! Can't wait to see more. Also, good on you for starting in August for halloween. I always scramble at the last minute for something for halloween because I spent my entire summer working away on convention costumes, and get lazy in Sept.

@ Jordan- check your email. I ll take any help on the arms you may have. I liked what you did on your.

@ Charades- This is my 7th suit this year. : / I don't know what to do with myself if there is nothing in the workshop. I used to do one at a time, now it seams I have three at all times. I work on each a little at a time to keep from getting bored or fustrated.

Help-

So my boy Thor is asymmetrical. I never noticed that. His gauntlets are different. I have what I need for his hammer arm, but not his left. Anyone have any good shots of it?

There are a couple different ones in the Avengers movie. Sometimes he's symmetrical and sometimes not. o_O
I think symmetrical when prepared for fighting, and asymmetrical when not? Cause in the pic below where he's asymmetrical, he was caught off guard on the helicarrier. But the first two where he's symmetrical, he was "prepared" for the battle.

Edit: Actually on closer inspection, he's still symmetrical in both...just different gauntlets.

One:
The-Avengers-Thor-psd82186.png

avengers-thor.jpg

Avengers-Thor-Captain-America.jpg

Two:
thor.jpg

a18.jpg

@ Charades- Thank you for the images, but this is movie Thor not an avengers thor. : /

ahh sorry. Do you have the dvd or download? I'd screencap for you if I could but I'm not on my own computer right now.

wJy63l.jpg

Flexin...

From this pic I decided the cape/shoulders needed some bulk

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back