Latex Mask ????

Indigo

I recently bought a pretty cool latex mask of an old man
i have no idea how to paint this mask to look like a realistic geezer
anyway i was wondering if anyone else here has experimented in the like

im beginer too this latex stuff

Okay Heres The PIC of My Mask with a few old man stlye props

[attachmentid=11093]

You can use regular acrylics mixed with liquid latex. That will work with an airbrush as well as long as you also mix in water.

wow awesome thanks

i was wondering about paint schemes and colors to get that flesh tone pale with liver spots to look real enuff
like an old man

do you have any tips on that or know of any websites that give tutorials

-matt

Better to use distilled water to reduce clogging. It will help.

Keep a bowl with window cleaner in it to dip your airbrush in to keep it clean. After each color clean with window cleaner or a little bleach water in well ventilated area. ;)

<div class='quotetop'>(foxbatkllr @ Nov 8 2006, 08:08 AM) [snapback]1353339[/snapback]</div>
You can use regular acrylics mixed with liquid latex. That will work with an airbrush as well as long as you also mix in water. [/b]

Ah yes simplegreen, smelly stuff but works great.
I remember using that stuff to rinse foam latex appliances out.
Oh when you mix your paints with your water make it the consistancy of milk.
Savini mentioned to me that you can use rubber cement in a pinch.

<div class='quotetop'>(CGClone @ Nov 10 2006, 12:45 AM) [snapback]1354480[/snapback]</div>
Indigo, are you shooting the a brush or hand painting?
[/b]

the first time i hand painted which looked like garbage. so i'll try to airbrush now

where can i pick up an air brush is it the same as those model car airbrush or is it a specific type?

I have brushed for 14/15 years and as a personal preference I would stay away from the Testors airbrush kits you find in the model/toy aisle at Wally World. They are single action and poorly made. Wont last or give you good performance, especially pushing thicker paints like you would like to do.

I would get an Iwata, Badger or Paasche. Dual Action meaning you can control airflow and paintflow instead of just on and off. More control means better detail. You dont have to break the bank on these either, you can score good deals on ebay or at your local art store. If you have Michaels Crafts stores in your area, keep and eye out for their 40% off coupons in the paper and get one.

If you have an air compressor, garage style for tires and power tools you can get an airbrush regulator for one of those instead of a dedicated airbrush compressor. The biggest thing with air compressor and brushes is constant air pressure. Using an airbrush on a normal air compressor will sometimes give pressure bumps in your painting and as the pressure in the tank goes down, your aibility to paint goes too. I have a dedicated airbrush compressor and you can get some incredible deals on ebay as well.

Probably more info than you wanted, but just thought I would give you some food for thought.

<div class='quotetop'>(CGClone @ Nov 10 2006, 03:08 PM) [snapback]1354796[/snapback]</div>
Probably more info than you wanted, but just thought I would give you some food for thought.
[/b]

No thats awesome. I really Appreciate all the info. im gonna do alot more research before i put anymore trial and error paint tests on this bad boy

i'll try to post a pic this week so you can see what im working with .

I would suggest getting some reference shots so you can see how coloration looks on skin. Go slow and light with an airbrush. You can always build up but its harder to take off. LOL.

Dont use black, you never see black on peoples face unless it makeup on purpose. Real shadows can be made with dark blues, reds and browns or mixes of darker skin tones.

I am sure some more seasoned pros at creating realistic flesh could chime in...

<div class='quotetop'>(Indigo @ Nov 16 2006, 04:42 AM) [snapback]1358735[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(CGClone @ Nov 10 2006, 03:08 PM) [snapback]1354796[/snapback]
I would get an Iwata, Badger or Paasche. Dual Action meaning you can control airflow and paintflow instead of just on and off.
[/b]

I just saw a post in the prop forum for this airbrush is this a good deal?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=92403
[/b][/quote]

That's just a compressor, not an airbrush. Its a pretty good deal I suppose but I don't like that compressor very much. I bought it and returned it.

I have never used their compressors, I have a badger compressor and an Iwata brush myself. I have a buddy who has one and has no problems.

foxbatkllr, did you have a bad experience or is it just not reliable for brushing or? (nice to see you here from ctnet as well.)

Harbor Freight actualy has a bottom feed single action airbrush with accesories. Its got to be the biggest piece of utter crap on the planet. $5 is what they cost. I couldnt resist the price so I bought one and the tip cracked the first time I used it. I exchanged it and I use it now for blowing junk paint on stuff I don't care about. If you want to paint a cinder block or your dead grass green its great. I have a sidefeed IWATA that i use normaly. I found I can fit a color cup from my Aztek to it. They are single piece nylon and easier to clean the IWATA 2 piece metal cups.

Thanks for the information here. I'm about to start my first experience with airbrushing a Palpatine foam latex appliance. This will prove useful. Thanks again guys and gals.

Movado

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back