Mynock's Sith Acolyte (SWTOR) armor build

DrunkenMynock

[Post edited on Dec 1, 2014 to reflect the many changes that have occurred to the mask design since the project began.]

This project started out as a simple mask build in 2012 as a suggestion from a member on FISD when I was first getting into prop making. Two and a half years later, I am now on version 5 of the mask, and am fully done the armor build!

This is a complete, 100% scratch-build by me: I sculpted the molds; I do all the vacuum forming, casting, painting, etc. What I cannot take credit for is the hard work the design artists at BioWare did to come up with this amazing character concept!

The first few pages of this thread show some of my early work on my Sith Acolyte masks versions 1-3 which were vacuum formed, (including work on a Darth Nihilus mask from KOTOR II), but the latter pages focus on actual armor pieces . All my builds are heavily documented on my website at mynocksden.com, and updates are frequently posted on my facebook page as well facebook.com/mynocksden, so I will not cross post the actual WIP notes here.

I will be submitting my costume for approval to the 501st shortly!

20150412_183200_med.jpeg

20150412_183221_med.jpeg

20150412_181334_med.jpeg

20150412_181359_med.jpeg

20150412_181420_med.jpeg

20150412_181438_med.jpeg

20150412_181441_med.jpeg

20150412_181557_med.jpeg

20150412_181619_med.jpeg

20150412_182322_med.jpeg

20150412_182538_med.jpeg

20150412_182540_med.jpeg

20150412_182549_med.jpeg

20150412_182619_med.jpeg

20150412_182621_med.jpeg

20150412_182712_med.jpeg

20150301_140611_med.jpeg

20150301_140614_med.jpeg

20150301_140644_med.jpeg

20150301_140653_med.jpeg

20150301_140704_med.jpeg

20150301_140728_med.jpeg

20150301_140734_med.jpeg

20150301_140736_med.jpeg

Complete build diary can be seen on my website http://mynocksden.com/projects/sith-acolyte/

The build is still ongoing, so stay tuned for updates!

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Re: Darth Nihilus (KOTOR) and Sith Acolyte/Warrior (SWTOR) Projects Progress

Can't wait to see the finished results! Did you sculpt or did you use pep for the acolyte mask?

Darth Nihilus Version 1. I got the middle ridge wrong, and am reworking the mold to make it more accurate. I decided to hastily paint this one anyway to have an idea of what the final product will look like.

imageycp.jpg

Last edited:

Can't wait to see the finished results! Did you sculpt or did you use pep for the acolyte mask?

Sculpting everything out of bondo. Using a thinner to make it more workable. Will post some more progress pictures tomorrow; gonna work on it all day :)

Progress on the Sith Acolyte mask. Basically, the whole thing is sculpted out of bondo over my custom original bounty hunter mask mold (shown in another post on this forum, which is also made out of Bondo). The mouth and nose pieces are shaped with scrap HIPS strips, and bondoed over.

Right now the process is sand (using both orbital and oscillating sanders with 60 grit paper), apply more bondo diluted with an acetone thinner, more sanding, rinse and repeat. Starting to take shape nicely, I think.

Going to build up the edges to give a few degrees of a rise for when I get to the vacuum forming stage (if I end up vacuum forming, that is).

imagefwg.jpg

Last edited:

Will you be wearing these down at Celebration 6?

Will you be wearing these down at Celebration 6?

No, I'm afraid I will not. Because of my work schedule and where I live, which is Winnipeg Canada, I don't usually get the chance to participate in such events. Halloween in my neighborhood, however, will be owned ;)

Progress:

Reworked mold to a more accurate head shape:

imageqpg.jpg

imageczxe.jpg

imagepsm.jpg

Vacuum formed test mask (.08 HIPS)

imageivyk.jpg

imagexqw.jpg

imageelc.jpg

Im going to use 0.06 guage styrene for the final mask, to have more of the detail come through. I'm also going vacform directly over the mask itself (with the original mold underneath that for structural support) to form a slightly larger mask. Out of that second mask, I will cut out the "tiger stripes" and glue the two masks together to give it that sharp "carved" tiger stripe look as seen in this picture.

imagenosz.jpg

Last step will be to do the diamond and middle ridge above the nose out of separate pieces of plastic and glue them down.

Here is the second version of Darth Nihilus with accurate middle ridge, formed out of 0.06 HIPS next to my ANH Alternate/Hero Hand Guards that I also molded from scratch.

imageean.jpg

One last thing to modify on the Nihilus mold - the top "ribon" crown thing, and the mold will finally be done!

A pile of work all this is; easy this is not!

Last edited:
Acolyte mask nearing completion:

Formed the mask on the right first, and then formed the one on the left directly over it so that they fit on top of one another perfectly.

imagehdz.jpg

imageydn.jpg

Here are the two masks fit together. Like a glove!

imagenjc.jpg

Now, did a rough sketch of the patterns using a sharpie on the bigger mask.

imagejnx.jpg

Once I cut them out, I will superimpose the two masks and end up with a nice "carved" look...... In theory lol. I tried copying as much detail as I could see in the trailer screen shot, and imagined the rest. The guy from mywickedarmor has done this mask too, but i did not want to copy his detailing for obvious reasons.

Taking forever because I'm doing 5 projects at the same time.

Last edited:
So here is the mask with 90% of the detailing completed.

imageexm.jpg

imageerj.jpg

Going to add middle forehead ridge next, and fix up the joints where some of the detailing pieces connect together.

Last edited:
Added the forehead ridge, trimmed the edges and used plastic putty to smooth out the detail transitions. After it's dry, will sand the putty.

imagejxi.jpg

Last edited:
Finished painting! Gonna paint the inside with dark grey as the carved sections, seal the whole thing, and put black nylon behind the eyes.

imageimd.jpg

imagedos.jpg

imagelci.jpg

Mask completed! Changed the color
Scheme to dark grey/metallic silver. The reason for this is that after the last post's pictures were taken, I used a clear sealer on the mask that for some strange reason ended up darkening the colors significantly. Didn't like this at all, so repainted the whole thing.

imagewfa.jpg

imageeox.jpg

imageneu.jpg

imageqjz.jpg

Painted and sealed the inside of the mask as well to make everything look clean and fresh, and put black mesh material behind the eyes (not nylon) which works better than nylon.

imagexrv.jpg

So there you have it! Since I have the mold too, I can replicate this mask any time I wish - which means I can make myself an army of Sith Acolytes; the shape and size would be the same, but the detail patterns would all be different since they would be all done by hand.

Last edited:
Re: Sith Acolyte (SWTOR) and Darth Nihilus Masks

looking pretty good! by the mould do you mean youll use your current one as a buck for more pulls?

Re: Sith Acolyte (SWTOR) and Darth Nihilus Masks

looking pretty good! by the mould do you mean youll use your current one as a buck for more pulls?

I have the original mold I made out of Bondo to pull over (pics in an earlier post), so any subsequent masks will also be made from using that as a buck.

The mask is made of two layers: the first is pulled over the bondo mold, and the second is pulled directly over the first pull to create a slightly larger mask. This second larger pull is what I draw patterns on, and cut the detailing out of. It makes is easier to glue to the mask, as the plastic naturally conforms to the mask shape.

I could technically do the detailing out of poster board; it's more flexible than HIPS, and would still achieve that "carved" look, but the carving would not be as deep (and sharp) after painting as using my method of double layering.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back