Justice League

I don't mind a longer movie, but the pacing and the writing MUST be good. That has been a huge failing with DC's recent crop of movies, IMO.
I generally don't mind a longer movie if the source material warrants it. They are not making a Lord of the Rings movie - which, arguably, deserves it (a Hobbit movie? not so much).

My thinking is that it shows that Snyder doesn't have the restraint to produce a solid product. Instead, it seems like he's trying to cram too much in - which might mean that in the long run, the final product will suffer. I think these types of movies are best when they're streamlined and well paced.

If there was this huge build up to this movie, I might be more inclined to think better things. Instead, it seems that they're trying to create too much in one movie. BvS started something and it seems that they're pushing for JL to be too much.

I'm trying to keep an open mind, but the track record and the trailer just isn't helping their cause.

Wasn't there a similar rumor/report before bvs was released with the duration of the movie? And so far they released it shorter only to then have it be released in an extended cut on blu-ray/dvd. Which for bvs it was better and for suicide it did nothing the quality of the movie.

I really hope this universe isn't turning into a Transformers kind of series but that's the feeling I'm getting. Snyder seems to be taking a page from the Michael Bay book and I'm not cool with that for my DC heroes. They deserve better. There's no reason that they can't make lots of money AND be good at the same time.

To be honest no matter what WB does at this point people are going to mindlessly complain... And by mindlessly I really mean that. The source on this is IMDB sooooo yeah. Its 8 months away, its not even close to a finalized cut, but any rumor that people can eat up and insult is expected at this point.

like imdb has never been right before ;o)...

you can find correct info anywhere, even if it's been reposted :)

and people tend to complain because so much of it recently has been a major disappointment. unless you WANT A whole movie just to explain how han solo got his name :)

To be honest no matter what WB does at this point people are going to mindlessly complain... And by mindlessly I really mean that. The source on this is IMDB sooooo yeah. Its 8 months away, its not even close to a finalized cut, but any rumor that people can eat up and insult is expected at this point.
What I find even more amazing are the folks that are defending the movie in the same fashion. It's baffling how many people are practically worshipping Zack Snyder and the movie universe he is creating - it's cult like. There are memes and just folks that are just so super defensive about Snyder that it's just baffling.

The idea that people "mindlessly complain" is completely false. The simple fact is that there is already a track record for this series. While it might be objective, the overwhelming reaction to these movies has been more negative than positive - and the reaction to the new trailer continues that trend. WB had an opportunity to fix the issues with the previous movies and they didn't, instead they appear to be simply giving us more of the same.

I want a DC movie universe that I can love. I'm much more fond of the DC heroes as a whole than I am of the Marvel heroes.

What I find even more amazing are the folks that are defending the movie in the same fashion. It's baffling how many people are practically worshipping Zack Snyder and the movie universe he is creating - it's cult like. There are memes and just folks that are just so super defensive about Snyder that it's just baffling.

The idea that people "mindlessly complain" is completely false. The simple fact is that there is already a track record for this series. While it might be objective, the overwhelming reaction to these movies has been more negative than positive - and the reaction to the new trailer continues that trend. WB had an opportunity to fix the issues with the previous movies and they didn't, instead they appear to be simply giving us more of the same.

I want a DC movie universe that I can love. I'm much more fond of the DC heroes as a whole than I am of the Marvel heroes.

I respectfully disagree.
I understand people haven't liked the previous movies. I thought MOS was really good, I liked the UE of BVS but thought Suicide Squad was dog****. However, people already have their minds made up for Justice League. It doesn't matter if it was 3 hours or 2h30m people would complain. Length doesnt matter. Make a good movie and people will sitthere for four hours but to complain about the length now is in my opinion mindless

and the reason we get so many bad movies is because people are tired of being thought of as a 'hater' or seeing 'haters' and will accept any bad crap and defend it till the end of time.

I respectfully disagree.
I understand people haven't liked the previous movies. I thought MOS was really good, I liked the UE of BVS but thought Suicide Squad was dog****. However, people already have their minds made up for Justice League. It doesn't matter if it was 3 hours or 2h30m people would complain. Length doesnt matter. Make a good movie and people will sitthere for four hours but to complain about the length now is in my opinion mindless

I'm glad you've enjoyed the series. But, I still feel facts are facts and the reaction to what Zack's done so far speaks volumes. That said, he's made a lot of money - but the general reaction can be seen in this thread.

Why I feel length matters was outlined briefly here, you can call it mindless - but, I still feel it shows a lack of restraint and a misunderstanding of the entire process by Snyder. Of course, this is all based on a single report - I don't think they'll release a 3 hour movie. Instead - if the rumor is true and there is a long cut, it will most likely get cut... and possibly butchered.

These movies aren't for fans any more... they're for consumers. People who will unwittingly buy the merch related to product tie-ins and maybe parents who will unwillingly take their kids to see it. And not just in the U.S... it's global. Foreign audiences probably like this trash way more than U.S. audiences do.

I'm sure they have to know going into it that critics and fans will crap all over this after the last few movies.
The single takeaway message from MCU's success has to be that the old studio mentality of "it's not for fans but for the general audience" doesn't get you billion dollar movies anymore. Marvel made fan-based films that the general audience should not entirely get (inside references, crossovers and long form storytelling) and the result is that the general public became fans of the MCU. I find it hard to believe that DC/Warner doesn't covet the degree of public and critical success that the MCU enjoys otherwise they wouldn't be scrambling to construct a shared universe to catch up to the MCU.

Why did they include Cyborg? That's a puzzling choice to me. He was never a staple character like the rest.

Diversity in the team, and probably a bit of a nostalgia play/bridge to fans of the Titans. Not that I think anything in this movie looks like a good decision (maybe Arthur and Gordon) but I can see their reasoning.

More so prob due to the 52 series that had cyborg. I would have preferred martian manhunter ofc but guess he will be joining the crew later on if they actually get a chance to get there. Atm im more curious about how and when they will introduce lantern.

Not that I think anything in this movie looks like a good decision (maybe Arthur and Gordon) but I can see their reasoning.

I think Gordon is horrible casting and disappointed that he didn't hold out for another Spider-Man movie or something in Marvel.
The best Gordon was Gary Oldman.

Fans maybe, but we're not the target audience. We're only part of it, in a way larger pool of average moviegoers ! This trailer was to remind them "hey, Justice League is coming !", and it was just that, no real story points (other than the assemble the league point of course), noi villain, just leaguers in action. Same goes for the superman reveal, we've seen the set pics, the reports, etc, while most moviegoer do'nt go looking for that stuff. They may not now yet if and when he's coming back. They may even not have picked up the rising dust at the end of BvS...
Bigger picture guys, bigger picture. There are a lot of critics about the DCEU for different reasons, some really valid, some a lot more... trivial shall we say, but in the end remember that these films, while not having the success DC or we maybe wanted, still have an overall 66,6% approval rate and 3.7/5 score by the general public, and is making money for WB. It's far from the disaster some people try to present on the web !
And purely for comparison, Marvel has an average 82,8% approval rate with average score of 4/5. This tells me that the GA likes Marvel films better, probably because of a few factors, such as they were the first successful comic book franchise on the market, they cater their films better for the GA, and without a doubt, a strong leadership under Feige to make sure all the player stay inside their sandbox, plus probably dozens of factors I'm not thinking about. In my opinion, if DC wants to attain the same level of approval, they have to follow the same rules. Not copy the movies, but the organisation structure. Maybe have a story group, like Star Wars has now, sort of a supervising committee, that would be the equivalent of Feige, but composed of both filmmakers and comic book writers (and someone from WB, they find the money after all).
Its not exactly a disaster per se, but when you have the most famous heroes in the world in your stable, the expectations are higher. And 66 percent is still a freaking D man. Thats simply not good enough, its like they arent trying to win, just hoping to not fail, and that sucks. And thats the fault of one man: Zack Snyder. The dude cant tell a story, first and foremost, thats why he is a failure of a filmmaker. Yeah he can compose a shot, any idiot with a camera and a computer can now a days. Big whoop. Look at his body of work, most of it is either an adaptation(300, watchmen) or a remake( Dawn of the Dead). I dont know what the hell sucker punch is, or owls, but when he tries to do something original, its AWFUL. Trust me, I want these movies to do well, I love superman and bats, and it should be easy! The dude has no vision, and apparently the WB exes have no clue. Its weird that nobody has stepped up and said "This Snyder guy sucks, why does he have his hand in everything?" :confused

10-55-51-JSTLG_Tsr_1sht_2764x4096_DOM_master.jpg

Unite the League? Isn't that superfluous, like "Poop the turd"? :p

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back