Justice League

I think DC cant get out of their own way. Ironman 3 is releasing before Superman. If they want to get their act together they would already have an arc figured out for the individual movies and the JLA movie. They would have them shooting simultaniusly so they could release 3 of them a year.

Exactly. They're rushing to crank out a Justice League movie (or were until they decided to see how well Man of Steel does first) without laying the groundwork. Avengers had 5 frigging prequels that set everything up so they didn't have to waste half the film on character origins and such. Introducing 3-5 new superheroes to audiences in a team movie is going to be rough. And when Justice League inevitably bombs (if it ever gets made) it will cripple the chances of getting more DC properties made into movies that aren't Superman or Batman reboots because those are the only two that sell. Just look at the animated films DC's put out in the past several years. Only 3 didn't feature Batman or Superman, and the only reason we got a second Green Lantern one was to try and bank on the live action film.

I doubt they are going to rush out a JL movie. Like said, they will wait how man of steel does and if its any good you can bet they will have either scripts or plans ready for a 2014 release of some characters or a man of steel sequel. Im not yet wondering how they will do it if they will even do a Jl movie. The good thing is that they dont need a batman movie before a JL movie since he is prob one of the most popular characters so they can wait till after. And while the animated department of DC makes alot of Batman/Superman movies they have made some stand alones and JL ones. I just wish they would involve them more into make the live action movies.

As I said, there are three Animated DC films that didn't have Batman or Superman: the two Green Lantern flicks and Wonder Woman. That's three out of sixteen, and the next two in line are a Superman film and a Justice League film. DC has almost no confidence in anything not featuring Supes and/or Bats.

The Justice League movie was also pretty much dead until Avengers made a mint. DC got covetous of the disgusting amount of money Marvel made off that and suddenly the project is back in production. The fact they went from being dead set on making a JL movie to "well, let's see how Man of Steel does" doesn't bode well for Man of Steel either.

Hopefully the Batman reboots are good, that's all we're likely to get from DC unless MoS pulls in TDK money.

Dont forget the short films from spectre, marvel and arrow :p

Dc just shouldnt be as worried when it comes to releasing a movie with another character. Marvel has with thor and cap and they worked. Thor more then cap but ohwell. Any character can be good on screen but it all depends on the script etc wich is why they should involve people who actuallu know the franchise.

Actually I think Professor X is the badest superhero of them all. He could go into Superman's mind, while mid flight and just turn him off. Supes dies in the air and crashes to the ground. Who else would mess with him?

Actually I think Professor X is the badest superhero of them all. He could go into Superman's mind, while mid flight and just turn him off. Supes dies in the air and crashes to the ground. Who else would mess with him?

Yes, I agree, but then why in each of the movies do they somehow find a way to incapacitate him? He's either knocked out, under mind control himself, or just plain killed. I always hated how they seemed to take him out of those movies.

Dont forget the short films from spectre, marvel and arrow :p

Which were bonuses on films starring either of the big guys. Hell, the short films collection included the new Captain Marvel film that had Superman as part of his origin for no reason other than they had to have Superman or Batman in the story. Also the short films prove my point, since they don't have enough confidence in those characters to give them their own feature-length release, just a 10 minute vignette. It's really too bad, the Spectre one was awesome.

Of course Xavier is powerful if he had little restraint on how he used his powers, it's exactly why they get him out of play as fast as possible in the movies, it's so he can't fix everything in a snap. It's also why in any team book/cartoon/whatever Superman gets immediately curb stomped, to show how powerful the threat is and make him unavailable to win the fight in one hit.

The unfortunate thing about the entire thing is money tho. They know if they make a movie animater or live action, if it has Superman or Batman in it it will draw a crowd (money). Any future movies from DC from other DC characters will all depend on the succes of MoS unfortenatly.

Yep. This is exactly the reason that when the Justice League (cartoon) toys were being made just about every multipack had Superman or Batman in it. The perception (not sure if sales bore this out) was that packs without one of them in it wouldn't sell as well. It got better when they started targeting the collector market instead of kids.

I want MoS to do well just so DC can have faith in properties beyond Batman. Don't get me wrong, Batman is my favorite comic hero, but I want a little more variety.

Wonder Woman snapping his neck.

The unfortunate thing about the entire thing is money tho. They know if they make a movie animater or live action, if it has Superman or Batman in it it will draw a crowd (money). Any future movies from DC from other DC characters will all depend on the succes of MoS unfortenatly.
This is true, and it's probably what the brass is thinking over there over at Warners, but while Superman and batman are household names, Iron man, thor, captain america, etc are not. Look how that all turned out. So movies of these other characters that may not be so well known within the DC universe will be seen if made and marketed properly.

I knew I should have added a smiley at the end of my last post.

Don't recall accusing you of fanboyism. I wasn't berating (I'll cop to snarking). I was playing devil's advocate,simplifying some Marvel characters to prove a point that both companies have characters that don't seem believable or relatable when looked at superficially. Calling Thor a Superman knock-off with a hammer is superficial. Saying that Thor is the crown prince of Asgard who was banished to Earth to learn humility then grew to love a human woman and protect Earth makes him interesting. Calling Batman a guy dressed like a bat's superficial. But when he's an orphan who devotes his life to fighting crime so that no little boy has to go through the horror of seeing his parents gunned down in front of him he's interesting. It's a matter of perspective.

I was a Marvel fanboy growing up, which is probably why I took "One More Day" worse than I took "Flashpoint." I just can't give Marvel my money anymore. I wish I could.

I don't care for a lot of Marvel's editorial direction over the past 10 years, but they've done a fantastic job with their properties in theaters. DC can't make a decent film to save their jobs that doesn't have Batman in it, and even then the batting average leaves something to be desired. Marvel's bothering to give their properties good scripts and putting in the effort to do things right. Warner added an illegitimate child to the Superman 1 script, slapped the name "Catwoman" on a script that bore no resemblance to the character just to bank on the name, utterly miscast and disrespected what at the time was their biggest non-Batman comic with Green Lantern, and called it a day. WB/DC doesn't give a damn about showing their properties or fans the respect they deserve, and this naked grab to cash in on the Avengers' success will likely reflect that.

Worth noting also that ridiculous concepts can be used for amazing storytelling in the hands of a competent writer. Geoff Johns has IMO achieved what writers have been striving to do since the '70s: make Aquaman cool.
Well i still feel sullied for being told off, so i'll just stand here and stamp my little feet!!!!!!:$

Actually, you make several good points, salient and well thought out,

I was being a wee bit flippant, i've not been into comics for a long while, so haven't kept up with stuff.....i guess some characters just make me cringe and wince.....

Oh, and well done sir! I am actually more of a Marvel Fan Boy type!:lol

Rich

I'll say it again:DC is odd in that it has a whole gallery of characters and only a handful of the major ones are interesting,the best and brightest is the side characters/one shots.

Or to put it another way-DC reminds me of film attempts on things like The Shadow,The Phantom,or The Spirit in that while they were well know at one time when someone now mentions them a lot of people go "who?"

Maybe it's just me but nine out of ten times I'd rather read or watch a Marvel creation then a DC.

So that's one thing that plagues them and why they go for Batman or Superman so often,they KNOW any other character they drag out will get a lukewarm reception...at best.

Hell look what happened to Green Lantern,and I like GL! now can you imagine taking Hawkman out for a spin? Or Auqaman? :confused

So I dunno DC is going to have to do the equivalent of yanking a rabbit out their arse to make this work I think.

I'll say it again:DC is odd in that it has a whole gallery of characters and only a handful of the major ones are interesting,the best and brightest is the side characters/one shots.

Or to put it another way-DC reminds me of film attempts on things like The Shadow,The Phantom,or The Spirit in that while they were well know at one time when someone now mentions them a lot of people go "who?"

Maybe it's just me but nine out of ten times I'd rather read or watch a Marvel creation then a DC.

So that's one thing that plagues them and why they go for Batman or Superman so often,they KNOW any other character they drag out will get a lukewarm reception...at best.

Hell look what happened to Green Lantern,and I like GL! now can you imagine taking Hawkman out for a spin? Or Auqaman? :confused

So I dunno DC is going to have to do the equivalent of yanking a rabbit out their arse to make this work I think.
with all due respect, this is wrong

do you think everyone gave a **** about iron man? i mean people knew him in the US, but he wasnt the most popular character either.

And everywhere outside the US, only comic book nerds knew who he was, and comics arent readily available everywhere.
Same thing goes for Thor, or even Captain america.

Id go as far as saying Green lantern, Flash and Wonder woman are much more well known than most of marvels movie heros (well maybe not anymore, but before the movies)

And one thing i can tell you for sure, allmost NOONE knows a lot about the Guardians of the Galaxy, Antman, and the likes(outside of the nerdy comic circles), yet marvel is still turning them into movies.

Saying something isnt viable is BS. You can turn everything into a good movie, if you have the right script. All the excuses about its not gonna work on screen etc are plain wrong.
The only thing that you can take for granted is, that everyone responsible for anything at WB, is so high up on their own cloud thinking they know everything, and is never gonna take a risk in losing money.

They value money over everything, and thats never gonna change. And thats the only reason why they dont make these movies

Well if every movie they make that doesn't have Batman in it is crap they're going to assume only Batman sells instead of realizing that good movies sell and they're not making good films with their other properties. Honestly, exclude the Nolan films and tell me one good DC movie in the last 20 years.

On some level I'm really scared about Man of Steel. A big reason the movie's been made was to retain film rights for Superman thanks to the endless legal battle over ownership of Superman. I hope it's not the film equivalent of an ash can copy.

I say put JL back on the shelf for another 5 years and start with World's Finest instead. If Batman and superman can make so much money on their own, imagine what they could do from the same movie. That way they make their Avengers money without crapping on JL. Then they can move on to movies for individual JL characters who, let's face it, wont make nearly the amount of money, but if done smartly will at least be well received. After all that is out of the way, then they can do a JL movie. By then moviegoers will hopefully be ready for it.

Just my two cents.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back