Daredevil (Netflix Series)

Pretty good trailer. Not quite as stoked as I thought I would be, but can't quite place it.

Obviously going to monster this as soon as its available though.

I really, really hope they do the Punisher right...

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk
Exactly how I feel.
It's hard to tell for sure but this Punisher seems a little expositional and too self-revelatory. I prefer it when the character is more enigmatic.
I'm hoping it's only because he's having dialogue with DD.

I suspect there's some high expectation that he'd be something special - especially since he is referenced in American Sniper.

I really, really hope they do the Punisher right...

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

Exactly how I feel.
It's hard to tell for sure but this Punisher seems a little expositional and too self-revelatory. I prefer it when the character is more enigmatic.
I'm hoping it's only because he's having dialogue with DD.

I suspect there's some high expectation that he'd be something special - especially since he is referenced in American Sniper.

I think a lot of this has to do with people's own experience with the Punisher character. Like, have they mostly dealt with him in his 1980s comics series? Or the 1990s stuff? Has he only been a guest star in their comics? Or are they MAX or Garth Ennis readers who won't be satisfied without over-the-top blood 'n' guts?

Personally, my "ideal" version of the Punisher came from the '80s and a little from the early 90s. In those instances, he's going against garden variety white supremacist thugs and gangs and such, rather than taking on Dick Tracy rogues gallery rejects like Jigsaw and Barracuda and such. To a lesser extent, his appearances in the Frank Miller run on Daredevil also form my notion of who he is.

I get the "point" of the MAX stuff being to essentially take the violence and amp it to 11 almost for satirical purposes, but I think the audience tends to miss that, and just sees "F--- YEAH!!! HE TOTALLY BLEW A HOLE IN THAT GUY'S FACE!!! HAHA AWESOME!!" And, frankly, I think the Punisher can and should be done better.

From the look of it, this show will handle the Punisher in a way that I think is appropriate. He doesn't need to be enigmatic or a mystery, to me. I mean, in truth, the Punisher's war on crime is remarkably simple. Criminals killed his family, so criminals deserve to die so as to protect everyone else's family. I think his raison d'etre is perfectly stated in that trailer. You don't need to know much more about him, other than what you can guess about him (E.g., military trained, family slaughtered, driven to vengeance, doesn't really believe in the judicial system). It's a great juxtaposition to Matt/Daredevil, who is, himself, a lawyer who believes in the system, but thinks it "needs a little help." Hence the Punisher line about "You're one bad day away from becoming me." Personally, I don't believe that's the case (Matt HAD his bad day, what with the death of his father), but I get the point of saying it, and it sets up a nice contrast between the characters.

Beyond that, I hope they make the violence uncomfortable in its brutality, so as to again draw the distinction between Matt's style and Frank's. Matt will go to lengths to beat up a criminal so that he can be captured by the cops, but Frank will simply put them down like a rabid dog. That should mean something, and that meaning should be conveyed in...uncomfortable terms. The violence shouldn't be "cool" or otherwise glorified. It should be like a gut punch, to the point where you're either with Frank, or you think what he's doing has to be stopped, even if he's targeting bad people. And then you can mess with the audience by making his targets REALLY bad people that make you question your own stance, just as the brutality of Frank's war makes you question its necessity.

I think a lot of this has to do with people's own experience with the Punisher character. Like, have they mostly dealt with him in his 1980s comics series? Or the 1990s stuff? Has he only been a guest star in their comics? Or are they MAX or Garth Ennis readers who won't be satisfied without over-the-top blood 'n' guts?

Personally, my "ideal" version of the Punisher came from the '80s and a little from the early 90s. In those instances, he's going against garden variety white supremacist thugs and gangs and such, rather than taking on Dick Tracy rogues gallery rejects like Jigsaw and Barracuda and such. To a lesser extent, his appearances in the Frank Miller run on Daredevil also form my notion of who he is.

I get the "point" of the MAX stuff being to essentially take the violence and amp it to 11 almost for satirical purposes, but I think the audience tends to miss that, and just sees "F--- YEAH!!! HE TOTALLY BLEW A HOLE IN THAT GUY'S FACE!!! HAHA AWESOME!!" And, frankly, I think the Punisher can and should be done better.

From the look of it, this show will handle the Punisher in a way that I think is appropriate. He doesn't need to be enigmatic or a mystery, to me. I mean, in truth, the Punisher's war on crime is remarkably simple. Criminals killed his family, so criminals deserve to die so as to protect everyone else's family. I think his raison d'etre is perfectly stated in that trailer. You don't need to know much more about him, other than what you can guess about him (E.g., military trained, family slaughtered, driven to vengeance, doesn't really believe in the judicial system). It's a great juxtaposition to Matt/Daredevil, who is, himself, a lawyer who believes in the system, but thinks it "needs a little help." Hence the Punisher line about "You're one bad day away from becoming me." Personally, I don't believe that's the case (Matt HAD his bad day, what with the death of his father), but I get the point of saying it, and it sets up a nice contrast between the characters.

Beyond that, I hope they make the violence uncomfortable in its brutality, so as to again draw the distinction between Matt's style and Frank's. Matt will go to lengths to beat up a criminal so that he can be captured by the cops, but Frank will simply put them down like a rabid dog. That should mean something, and that meaning should be conveyed in...uncomfortable terms. The violence shouldn't be "cool" or otherwise glorified. It should be like a gut punch, to the point where you're either with Frank, or you think what he's doing has to be stopped, even if he's targeting bad people. And then you can mess with the audience by making his targets REALLY bad people that make you question your own stance, just as the brutality of Frank's war makes you question its necessity.
"enigmatic" was the wrong term. What I meant was "terse."

Good analysis of the Punisher character.

In the 80's he was a "costumed" vigilante and was very much a Marvel comic book style character. The character has gone through a lot of changes since the days of black spandex with white accessories. He's definitely more "realistic" and less comic book-ish now as far as appearances go.

He's always been the dichotomous "hero" among the other Marvel heroes. Rarely do they work with him and I don't think they ever approve of his actions, yet they don't consider him a villain and rarely go to any great lengths to capture and/or imprison him. He's been the necessary evil.

I like some of the version of him, some not as much.

I really thought Ray Stevenson looked the part perfectly. I'd have been happy to see him be cast in Daredevil.
So far Bernthal looks like he might pull it off. Time will tell.

This season will definitely be fun either way. Can't wait.

Not sure what the original source of these are, but they look legit

dfa063dfdf01b07198816712291c0442.jpg

59409474622bc09c18307c368ff890d7.jpg

e3f55b21959ed305eeb8bd1e5c9c5da7.jpg

1dbcce703b2e73aa628bbe6323ac80d8.jpg

79ee2cb7710b8a007d789f3609e20e9c.jpg

Hoping a fight with Punisher will result in DD's mask getting so busted up he has to replace it with one that looks more like the comic or even like the Affleck movie.

Hoping a fight with Punisher will result in DD's mask getting so busted up he has to replace it with one that looks more like the comic or even like the Affleck movie.

I definitely think that's going to be the case. Notice how the cowl seems to be missing the ears and the darker forehead section in these shots:
Screen Shot 2016-02-15 at 10.51.06 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-02-15 at 10.51.22 AM.png

1dbcce703b2e73aa628bbe6323ac80d8.jpg

This pic gives a better look at the revised cowl and costume. The helmet now ends above the ears and doesn't cover the ears. He also added elbow pads and there looks like more red in the costume.

Yep, the whole season 2 will be up on March 18.

Before starting season 2 I will be only watching the season one finale episode again as a refresher.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back