Tinting clear plastic

eltee

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I would like to add a gold colored tint to the clear plastic face shield on this replica astronaut helmet. Any ideas?

Replica.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>(eltee @ Nov 7 2006, 03:38 PM) [snapback]1352792[/snapback]</div>
I would like to add a gold colored tint to the clear plastic face shield on this replica astronaut helmet. Any ideas?

Replica.jpg

[/b]
Never tried it, but Alsa sells Mirrachrome and it is slightly transparent. Then coat with their true gold tint. Test it first though

There are a couple of different ways to do this.

First is the simplest - head on down to the local hobby shop and pick up spray-on stain glass paint. I forget who makes it, but the larger stores/chains should carry it.

Second is a bit more time consuming but will work as well. You'll need an airbrush, compressor, Future floor wax and acrylic paint. Use the paint to tint the floor wax and apply using the airbrush. You can recoat until you get the depth you desire. FFW dries crystal clear and is scratch reistant (not scratch proof - big difference).

Hope that helps,
Fred

What about popping the faceshield out, finding some liquid gold dye, boiling up a pot of water, mix in some dye and then throw the faceshield in there? I would leave the faceshield in there for just a few minuts then pull it out and see how much of the dye has taken. Repeat until you're satisfied with the color of the tint.

Now... I've never done this before and I don't know where to buy gold dye BUT, I know of people who have dyed plastic covers before using this method and purchasing the RIT brand dye you can find at Michael's. I believe this would yield a more consistent even coverage of gold tint to the plastic too.

<div class='quotetop'>(eltee @ Nov 7 2006, 02:38 PM) [snapback]1352792[/snapback]</div>

Replica.jpg

[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>(dijinn @ Nov 7 2006, 08:44 PM) [snapback]1352853[/snapback]</div>
What about popping the faceshield out, finding some liquid gold dye, boiling up a pot of water, mix in some dye and then throw the faceshield in there? I would leave the faceshield in there for just a few minuts then pull it out and see how much of the dye has taken. Repeat until you're satisfied with the color of the tint.

Now... I've never done this before and I don't know where to buy gold dye BUT, I know of people who have dyed plastic covers before using this method and purchasing the RIT brand dye you can find at Michael's. I believe this would yield a more consistent even coverage of gold tint to the plastic too.

[/b]

Personally, I'd be a bit concerned about adding plastic to boiling water. Plastic has a nasty habit of warping way below that temp. I'm sure people do it, but it wouldn't be something I'd attempt unless I was well versed in the practice.

Just my 2 cents

-Fred

Hot water yes, boiling NO....
You'll have a glob of plastic.

Temp needs to be tested on scrap to make sure it's not to hot.

I don't think RIT makes gold dye anyhow.

D6

Unfortunately, he'll never be able to achieve true chromed gold (and still be able to see out).

There's only one way to do it and 2 ways to achieve it. He'd have to get it professionally tinted from an automotive tint shop. You can either use the adhesive tint, the logistics of which would be a complete nightmare due to the the curvature of the piece or the spray on tint. Either way, it's going to be crazy expensive.

The cheapest way is experimenting with multiple colors and layers of the stained glass spray. Take a piece of scrap plastic and just try layering different colors.

-Fred

Does Kool-Aid make a yellow flavor?

I've heard of using it to lightly dye (stain) plastic.

David

I don't necessarily need to be able to see out of it. Right now it is for a static display, and I have a spare helmet I can use if I do a spacewalk or something. The metallic / reflective gold would be preferred, and costs wouldn't be too big of a deal.

THANKS for all the info so far.

<div class='quotetop'>(eltee @ Nov 10 2006, 12:46 AM) [snapback]1354482[/snapback]</div>
I don't necessarily need to be able to see out of it. Right now it is for a static display, and I have a spare helmet I can use if I do a spacewalk or something. The metallic / reflective gold would be preferred, and costs wouldn't be too big of a deal.

THANKS for all the info so far.
[/b]

Well, if you don't need to see out of it, then that's simple. Get yourself a can of Krylon Brass. Best highly reflective gold paint on the market. Just practice on a piece of scrap plastic to check for adhesiveness and whether you'd get a better reflectivity from painting the inside or the outside of the plastic.

-Fred

If paint adhesion is an issue (if you go that route), get a can of adhesion promoter. I got some from Sherwin-Williams Automotive. Be prepared, it's around $11.00 for a 12oz can.

I wonder how they make mirrored sunglasses??
THe last time I got prescription sunglasses, the eye glass place dipped them in something. It was purple though :eek

There is a process called Flash Mirror Lens Coating which is how they do chrome lenses on sunglasses and motorcycle visors. You would have to find a company that offers that service, and take it there. They have to treat the object then put it in a vaccum chamber that will coat the metalic film to the object, i'm guessing this would be a pretty expensive route.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back