The Good/Bad/Ugly man with no name costume

robstyle

Master Member
Ive always wanted to do this costume and got a running start a few weeks ago with the poncho. Its the wool type with the pattern knitted in not added on so its double sided and olive colored like the original. The boots are vintage Botas Jaca flat toe, cheated some modern black Levi slim strait 218 jeans since he didnt wear high waisted big loops (im told he wore blue Levies that were bleached then died black), not shown is the railroad type engineer shirt which is another modern day cheat being Lucky Brand thats near perfect minus the change needed in button color, standing in for the gun belt at the moment is a vintage Ted Blocker belt (the final rig is being hand made as we speak), the vest not pictured is a modern day Old Navy womans faux sherling vest that needs to be cut up a little and aged, the hat is vintage with a custom one off hat band that cost me a cashed in favor with an old timer, and a thrift store find dark blue silk scarf/hanky. Lastly the gun, im molding a real cartridge conversion 1861 Colt Navy. Have the grips molded so I can start sculpting proper snake inlays then mold them as part of the grips themselves.

Still have yet to dirty up the poncho or apply a few bullet holes.

2pq48sg.jpg

Same with the hat, needs a bullet hole and some WD40 to darken the hat a smidge.

2hcq2z7.jpg

Im very pleased with the hat band.

2mg2ux1.jpg

Have yet to see anyone mold a proper cartridge conversion 1861 Colt Navy.

18ye5x.jpg

Got another shirt in the mail, a Mark Moto engineer style. The stripes are closer to the original than the Lucky Brand shirt. Gun belt is still being made as is a matching pants belt. Thats the Old Navy womens faux shearling vest. Im going to cut it up, remove the white shearling on the exterior stitching and dirty/thrash it up really good. Not going to do spurs since its for Halloween but I may lose the biker type rings along the ankles and keep the straps.

zu5ism.jpg

Looks great Rob! Is this a cosplay or display? I've never heard of the WD40 method, how does it work?

Its just for Halloween.

WD40 will darken various materials. If you douse a rag with it and work it in evenly, you get a darker surface. Its a slow process but keeps the vintage weathering intact.

Also, the boots are too narrow so an old trick is to wrap an alcohol soaked rag around your foot and wear the boots for a few afternoons. The alcohol will interact with the leather forcing it to expand.

Wait till I try using an old iron on that faux shearling vest, lol. Thats going to be interesting. Ive done it before but its a very quick touch to get the proper finish and look.
2ecj51v.jpg

If you take the WD40 treated item out to the desert and kick it around in the fine dirt, the smell goes away quickly and the fine dirt adds to the look. If not, the smell does leave eventually but again, you dont saturate it, just use enough to get the surface darkened.

Whats most interesting about the clothing is it all has to be one size too small. Im 6'3" and the shirt is a large. The first shirt I tried the back split open. Luckily it was a .99 thrift store shirt used for aging and discoloring tests. Its funny once you realize Blondie is walking around in clothing that should make his thighs fall alseep on a horse much less the damage to the jewels.

got around to cutting the Old Navy faux sheepskin vest this afternoon. Ill treat it with a none steam iron, some dirt and mud, UV lighting and some WD40 this weekend.

2dtcdwj.jpg

sry, but I gotta ask, do u got the horse to go w/ the great costume of the great character from the great movie? casue that would just be freaking AWESOME!!!

Got the first real pictures of the holster for the rig, too bad the maker has a terrible camera.
28hik4k.jpg

20zqw3r.jpg

Borrowed word for word from the GBU holster rig interest thread:

And of all timing, today I was handed an original Andy Anderson made production holster rig for the first film (A Fistful of Dollars) yet its for a shorter barrel. Quite possibly an early test version till the finalized version was created. The upper rear paddle section doesnt exist, the thumb break is a leather strap and its got a strap for the leg. This things almost 50 years old.
zk0ub8.jpg

Got the custom gun rig the other day. Its a shame the maker refused to use the correct holster buckle as I may not have the time to correct it. All in all im pleased with it. I had the entire inner of the holster lined as its only ever going to hold a casting of the gun. It will help protect the finish.

24axufr.jpg

Just about done assembling the Colt Navy casting I made as well but not certain if any time will be there to sculpt the snakes on the handles. May just go bare as pictured.

fkwc4k.jpg

So here is where I ended up by Halloween, never been so groped, grabbed, hugged and rubbed up on by so many guys in my life. Went to the West Hollywood block party on Santa Monica blvd. Met a really, reeeeeeeally cute gal but being the part of town it was, ill check ID, SS #, two references and mothers maiden name just to be double sure she was born a girl.

Sold the Colt Navy casting out there to some guy that just had to have it for $300 cash on the spot so I took the money and ran. In lieu of the snake inlays I simply cut a set out of aluminum tape and hand etched the design then gave it a light black wash. Must admit it worked very well but didnt get a picture.

Also kind of sucks that the pants were much tighter three months ago but I accidentally shed almost 20 pounds within the past couple weeks. Any more and the gun belt itself would drop right to the ground.

m0sb9.jpg

Nicely done. I am always amazed at just how many people recognize the costume.

I pulled mine out for our annual Halloween at work theme...because I wasn't going to spend a lot this year. :)

145f7f30207ae041e87c92ff3114aa85.jpg

Niiiiiiice. I see you seem to have the proper alteration cut to the hat brim. I didnt have the time to slice the section out and re-seam it and sew the brim.

robstyle......where did you source that poncho from? How much was it?

Mine is from Mexico, they make near anything if you ask the right people.

The main issue with ponchos and vests, as well as the gun belt rigs is not a single one thats readily available is accurate. Poncho patterns are off as is the size of the poncho itself, the gun belt rigs are severely lacking and the vest was once a coat in reality. The cut on the vest is always very off as they are made as a vest not as a coat. Make any sense at all?

I just couldnt see spending hundreds of dollars on inaccurate items so I sourced cheap replacements (my vest is a modified discontinued Old Navy womens synthetic faux sherling vest that cost about $10) and the gun belt rig was custom made as well for less than half of what the average inaccurate replica goes for.

Same with the boots, ebay and more accurate than the reproductions that cost hundreds.

The hat is real vintage proper era as opposed to a cheap replica. Trick with the hats is dont pay much attention to the size if its not your size. Remove the liner and put in a new one. This seems to be what some replica costume makers do then add an inaccurate hat band then stick a big price tag on them.

In all fairness the inaccuracies on the available replicas is due to screen captures based on VHS tapes and printed photos or even negatives. With the DVD and now Blu Ray versions as well as cross referencing the prior films its easy to see where improvement is needed.

Lastly and importantly, Blondie's clothing was one size too small all around. The shirt sleeves up the arm, the "vest" cut, the pants as floods... Look at the film again and things start to stand out when pointed out. Tuco's boots for example, how many noticed his toes are exposed?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back