I'm a Bro and I Sew... Who else is with me?

I got hurt in 8th grade in 1988 and got stuck as a teachers aid in home economics for half a school year. I picked up the basics, that's all I know. I do small things hear and there. Nothing of your caliber.

I did some size modifications to my leather Vader suit, and made the leather Gamorrean vest, nappy, and leather strapping. Probably took me longer than it should have, but I don't really know what I'm doing. Just the basics.

070312-CraigM074.jpg

At first I was like: Nice action figure there, bro... and then it hit me. This is awesome!

I started costuming this year and bought my first sewing machine in January. My first piece... ever... is this vash the stampede trench coat I made for my girlfriend:

7059929659_cb0f505203_o.jpg

6913848092_cf162b0f10_o.jpg

Yo! I Sew, and I'm a bro!!

Though I'm no good. I take that back, I'm not super good at pattern making. Sewing I find pretty easy and intuitive. It's pattern making that I'm no good at. But I'll keep trying! I've got a number of projects back burnered that I will eventually finish, but the car is taking top priority right now.

I've been sewing all my life. Never had much money , could never afford to buy any costumes so I made them myself. I have a vinyl Darth Vader costume that was quilted and absolutely boiling. Used to wear it for appearances at school fairs in Australia (always held at the height of summer). Now I'm into Inverness capesView attachment 106842
Stripes are always a pain but so fullfilling when you finally get it right.View attachment 106843Both of these are wool and really warm. Luckily for me I now live in the UK so I get more chances to wear them out in the garden. Waiting for the next snow!

Yo! I Sew, and I'm a bro!!

Though I'm no good. I take that back, I'm not super good at pattern making. Sewing I find pretty easy and intuitive. It's pattern making that I'm no good at. But I'll keep trying! I've got a number of projects back burnered that I will eventually finish, but the car is taking top priority right now.

I actually used your Dark Night undersuit blog to make Jawafive's! So you're doing something right.

I started costuming this year and bought my first sewing machine in January. My first piece... ever... is this vash the stampede trench coat I made for my girlfriend:
Looks good bro! Really good! And I'm not talking about the model (though she's not hideous. lol)

Keep the pics coming. Such good stuff, I know everyone worked hard on those sleeves, hems, and leather pieces.

Seconded! I looked at some of your stuff linked up from the "boobs" thread. Very nice! Especially like the thing with all the fur bits (monster hunter I think?)

Now I'm into Inverness capes

They look great! Love the Invernesses... Invernii... lol

This thread (haha!) makes me want to re-learn how to use a sewing machine. Some things you just cannot buy, like those pants the Federal Police wear in the new Total Recall. I am just afraid I would be tempted to get an antique treddle powered machine.

Sent from my Etch-A-Sketch

I've done a few but my favorite piece I've done has to be my Hatter. Made most of the outfit using modded patterns. Favorite part of the costume has to be the vest. done all by hand each square done individually.

View attachment 106882
This was a test run to find any weakspots on the suit. Although the hat is storebought I AM still working on a leather one. All the buttons thruout the costume are vintage. The bandolier is made up of real vintage spools. The bowtie is a Joannes brand print fabric that was a close enough for me. The vines on the pants are handstitched using a pattern a fellow board member made and is in the Mad Hatter thread. The shoes are my Indy boots with red laces due to time constraints.

The Alice costume I put together in just a few days. You can't see it but I used vintage buttons on her shoes as well. Was SO pressed for time a petticoat was purchased by my GF's Mom and I spray painted it black before adding the red. The hearts were cutout individually using black ribbon.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.142610579093816.18198.100000346241886&type=3

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.162960293725511.30369.100000346241886&type=3

I've been sewing for over 30 years and costuming almost that long. Self taught with a lot of help along the way from some very talented people.

Anybody here have any input on a basic sewing machine for a beginner? I obviously don't need anything top of the line yet but was just wondering if it's better for a beginner to go out and buy a new one or if a used one from Craigs list or anywhere else is a bad choice?

If you want a good machine that will go through almost anything look at a Bernina 1008 or look for some of the older models on ebay. These machines don't die. Check for a Bernina Record 900 series.

I enjoy sewing alot. I'm not as good as I should be by now, but I do enjoy it. It's a nice feeling to be able to look at something and say I could make that.

imma a tru bro from the boogie down that sews. i love my girls. one is a regular singer. and the other is a five thread overlock serger. singer as well. heres something to wet ya nubbs... its a DP work in progress....

amazing work my friend...

The ladies have inspired me... Abby's "I have boobs and I make..." thread has made me curious who else out there does stuff more like myself. With all the hard costuming popularity (Iron Man, Halo) and pep files flooding the boards lately, I thought I'd start up a thread for those of us of the male persuasion that still do things the old fashioned way. With a needle and a thread.

So... A little about myself. I'm a professional theatrical costumer of the past 10 years or so. I occasionally dabble in the costume commission trade, and I regularly make stuff for myself for conventions and such. I currently manage a costume shop in a children's theatre and am the chief patternmaker, tailor, and craftsperson for said shop. My main focus over the years has been menswear. Not so much because I'm a man, but because when I was coming up in the field, I noticed that the majority of my peers and teachers were focused on the women's wear, and i wanted to be different.

In my time as a professional costumer, I've pretty much done it all. From makeup to dressmaking. You name it. I even started my career off doing accessories and leatherwork for a Shakespeare festival. That being said, there still never ceases to be talent on these boards that blows me away. I never cease to find an unlimited amount of inspiration from the projects within these virtual walls. The theatrical world is better for the innovations that I've brought to the table after being introduced to them right here on the RPF.

So chime in my RPF brethren! I know there are a few other guys out there that prefer their sewing machine to their dremel. Let's talk some soft costuming!

And yes! Feel free to share pics. Everyone loves pics! Here's some of mine:

Still my crown jewel. Gary Oldman Dracula. Commissioned the hat, bought the shoes. Altered a few accessories. Everything else from the shirt to the suit to the tie was handmade by yours truly.
3933527630_f67828421b_o.jpg

Prince Nuada: From a customer. He did the belly emblem and sculpted the vambraces using my form, but the rest is me. Wetformed leather armor, silk pique tunic, and lots of silk sash.
385591_10100559280010426_1819624419_n.jpg

Steampunk Batman: Going to revisit the cowl and cover those ears (a point of contention that I ceded on). Linen suit, suedecloth cape. Bringing this to D*Con this year again.
580882_10100559280045356_677210449_n.jpg

11th Doctor series 6 Shetland Tweed Jacket: Made from the same bolt of cloth as the Screen jacket. The plaid was particularly challenging to line up from the body to the sleeve. Love this!
380578_10100676626442236_1939464985_n.jpg

Selene Corset from Underworld: Commission
292596_10100533819169156_1864444394_n.jpg

There's a lot of nice stuff in here!

I've been at it for about 17 years, off and on. I was lucky enough to have a mom who was a Home-Ec teacher growing up. She felt it was time for me to start learning to sew for myself when my projects become more involved, at a ripe old age of 10.

I don't have any pics of my early work, but here is some of my more recent stuff.

Anakin Skywalker.
I made the shirts, tabards, pants, glove, and spats. It is currently under revision.
n12112660_30440958_3454.jpg

Ledger Joker.
I made the vest and pants... that includes every single stripe.
Joker019.jpg

Jack Sparrow.
I made the shirt, vest, pants, wrist wrap, palm glove, wig, and AM belt.
IMG_0893.jpg

Diamond pointed bow tie I made for my sister's wedding.
538224_10100846264865342_444312928_n.jpg

Most of the patterns for these costumes were drafted by me from scratch or modified from existing patterns. Many more projects are undwerway.

Last edited:
dude ett.... you work is jaw droppin!

Oh you flatterer! *blushes* (You've got some fancy stuff yourself!)

Darth Mule - Your work is truly impressive. I can't pick a favourite!

pinder91 - If that's you in all those pictures, you are a chameleon! You pull off all those characters quite well. Fantastic job on the sewing too.

imma a tru bro from the boogie down that sews. i love my girls. one is a regular singer. and the other is a five thread overlock serger. singer as well. heres something to wet ya nubbs... its a DP work in progress....

Nice unitard pattern!:thumbsup I like the seam placements. Get yourself and invisable zipper foot. It will improve the look of the zipper. They are worth it!

Most of the patterns for these costumes were drafted by me from scratch or modified from existing patterns. Many more projects are underway.

Just out of curiosity, what is everyone's preferred method for drafting a costume pattern? Butchering something that already fits and copying? Draping and pinning? Or drawing something on the fabric...going balls to the wall and hope what you cut out is the right shape?

I'd love to use the first method, but that never happens to something I'd be okay cutting up. The second only works occasionally. And the last approach I use for pretty much every costume I've made to date.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back