I'm a Bro and I Sew... Who else is with me?

Lookin good Sulla! I've never done a Star Trek Uniform... Kinda tempted to do an enterprise... I hear they have patterns online for them... I looked briefly, but I think I gave up too easily.

Lookin good Sulla! I've never done a Star Trek Uniform... Kinda tempted to do an enterprise... I hear they have patterns online for them... I looked briefly, but I think I gave up too easily.

Thanks Chris. :) I have made 2 Enterprise jumpers before and it was a heck of an ordeal, but well worth the experience and payoff. Check out my tutorial/build thread here. The commercial pattern is really nice and informative, but I had lots of trouble with it, and to be screen accurate a lot of modifications had to be made to the pattern. My tutorial covers these issues.

uni1.jpg
entfin2.jpg

Last edited:
I have been sewing for years now. Started by hand, then got a Singer Simple for $10. This worked ok but then I found a 70's Singer fashionmate 720. Nothing fancy but it could be used as a boat anchor. All metal gears. I found it for $5 at a yard sale. Replaced the belt and gave it a good cleaning and it works great. Easy to use and won't drop thread like the simple did.

I just sewed a pair of jackets from a pattern for the first time. These are the bases to EG flash suits I am making.20131031_084707.jpg
The greatest American Hero I did last year for Halloween. The flash suit is in process. I need to finish by Sacramento Comicon in two weeks.
20140218_113843.jpg I gotta admit, machine sewing is a great skill to have and anyone can do it with some practice.

I'm a bro and i sew. Mostly medieval stuff for my self. I made a medieval dress for my wife and two for my daughter, she's 1,5 years old now and doesn't fit either of them now. She just keeps on growing. Planning on doing a new one for the elf fantasy fair in his year. I'm not going (scout camp) but her aunt is taking her.

Sent from my RM-914_eu_netherlands_316 using Tapatalk

I like the IOGC patch idea. I might give a stab at it once I learn to use my new digitizing software for my machine, if you don't mind. It may be a while though, so if someone else gets to it, that's great.

My venture into sewing began in 1975 when I got involved in the SCA and was just a learn as I go thing that kind of ballooned from there to the first Orycon convention in 1978, which I am one of the few who has attended every one since the start as well as other Pacific NW conventions and now of course, Steampunk. Besides SCA, SciFi, Pirates and Steampunk, I am also into Historic 19th Century Uniforms, especially Cavalry. Which fit in with Steampunk really well too. I finally got around to a 17th Lancers from post Crimean War in 2012 and have a work in progress of the 11th Hussars from the Charge of the Light Brigade. I admit I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to uniform representations.:) I always have way too many projects in line, so some of them get bounced around as other things get moved to the front. One thing I've been remiss in doing is taking pictures. I never seem to remember that, although I've been trying to do that more lately. I have also worked in building armor, doing leather work and tooling and just about anything else I need, depending on the project. I still need to learn some other skills like welding and soldering though. Keep Calm and Sew On.

17th NWC full sm.jpg17th Lancers w/old helmet 17th New Cap and plume.jpgreplacement Helmet w/proper sized Mortor Board Top and Cane Ribbing

RN 1.jpgNapoleonic era Royal Navy Dress Uniform, Post Captain 100_2709.jpg11th Hussars, sill in progress

I thought I'd throw in this jacket I painted a few months ago in memorium to Ken Jernstedt, a local WWII Flying Tigers Ace who passed last February, the 88 on the jacket was the tail number of his P-40. I hope the image came through.

Attachments

• 100_2746.jpg
    100_2746.jpg
    814 KB · Views: 104
Just picked up this bad boy at a local thrift store for $20. It's brand new, has all the parts and not a stitch of lint inside it.

It's not the workhorse of industrial machines but its a lot more robust than most "modern" machines.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396309854.587270.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just thought I'd show a couple of items done recently.

the first one is a scarf embroidered for one of the members here.
The emblem was digitised from an image sent by the RPF member.

the second one is embroidery on a piece of real leather done this evening

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 103
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    922.7 KB · Views: 95
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 102
There's some good stuff being shown off here.

I recently made a jacket- It's not a costume, so this is probably the only place to post it. It is an 'motorsports' themed light jacket:

It is made from a white micro-suede with a cotton lining. All the materials are machine washable, which may prove useful in a white jacket! It has raglan sleeves and a plain front, racing stripe and giant sports car logo on the back. It also has a couple of patches sewn on, since I love patches...

Last edited:
So I've started sewing too. It actually is very useful. I don't have a sewing machine of my own yet, which is why I use a friend's machine when I need it. I haven't done too much, but I used it heavily on my first serious costume, an Ezio Auditore outfit.

Process - 3.jpgProcess - 4.JPGSuit 2.JPG

I still only know the basics, but I'm eager to learn as much as I can since for any costume that's not entirely armor-based, sewing is as essential skill.

My costume is essentially complete, too. And I won a country-wide competition with it. :D

RPF_1.jpg

Attachments

• Process - 3.JPG
    Process - 3.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 100
  • Process - 4.JPG
    Process - 4.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 102
  • Suit 2.JPG
    Suit 2.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 94
Here is my newly completed gold yoke jumper. I am working on some fabric samples for the undershirt. When I get it done I will take some pix of me wearing them.

support1_zpsc715042a.jpg

Me and a buddy made a pavilion tent a number of years ago to use while larping, after a bad experience with rainy weather and plastic party tents.
It's also been rented out to friends as a party tent.

It's about 5 and a half meters across at the bottom. That's 18 feet for those of you that understands that measuring system.
It's extremely sturdy, and has held up in pouring rain and high winds when neighbor tents fell over.
It also fits in a big car. Or a small one with a roof rail.

It was a real journey. We've planned on making an even bigger one and use it as a variety theater on larps, but time constraints have forced us to put that project on ice, even though we have the sewing machine and canvas for it.

A quick tip: don't sew something like this on a clothes sewing machine. It won't survive.
An industrial strength machine is crucial. A lot of space as well.

IMG_3873small.jpgIMG_3846_small.JPG
IMG_3806_small.JPGIMG_3475_small.JPGIMG_3869_small.JPG

Maybe not the most usual sewing project, but eh.

Me and a buddy made a pavilion tent a number of years ago to use while larping, after a bad experience with rainy weather and plastic party tents.
It's also been rented out to friends as a party tent.

It's about 5 and a half meters across at the bottom. That's 18 feet for those of you that understands that measuring system.
It's extremely sturdy, and has held up in pouring rain and high winds when neighbor tents fell over.
It also fits in a big car. Or a small one with a roof rail.

It was a real journey. We've planned on making an even bigger one and use it as a variety theater on larps, but time constraints have forced us to put that project on ice, even though we have the sewing machine and canvas for it.

A quick tip: don't sew something like this on a clothes sewing machine. It won't survive.
An industrial strength machine is crucial. A lot of space as well.

View attachment 311284View attachment 311281
View attachment 311282View attachment 311280View attachment 311283

Maybe not the most usual sewing project, but eh.
That is wicked Froggie! Really looks like it belongs on a battlefield. :cool:thumbsup

I just recently started logging more hours on the sewing machine. It feels really great to get some sewing done. It's such a great skill to have, in and out of the cosplaying world.

Alright fellas!!

I need to expand my horizons and bit outside the realm of proton packs and Iron Man suits! How did everyone get their start with the old needle and thread? I think I may look into taking some classes. Any projects that are ideal for a start?

Some amazing, AMAZING work in this thread!

Hi, Im new to this site and love this title. Bro that sews. I have to find out how to upload pictures, (Ill post a few)
I started sewing swimwear a few years back but now I work with a variety of materials. Id like to get more into costume design and fun stuff. Im a tinker at heart and love to figure out how things work. Currently I am working on a few non costume related pieces (clergy vestments and a few repairs) summer is coming up so Ill jump back into swimwear, but really looking foreward to getting into costumes. thanks for reading. Ill post a few pics as sooon as I figure this out.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back