Spaceballs / EAGLE 5 Winnebago / License Plate Question (pic included)

djtbell1

Howdy all,

We are currently doing research on the EAGLE 5 Winnebago to replicate the license plate. We'd like to add it to our 2012 line-up, so here's what we've learned. I talked with Cory Faucher today (from the set of IRONMAN 3 in North Carolina) about the Winnebago. Cory built the miniature and had first hand knowledge about the plate. First off, the plate has a plate frame (60's California Dealership Style). Secondly, the Plate itself has writing on the top and bottom, we now know what it says but here's the problem and the question. The top of the plate says "INTERGALACTIC" but it is spelled wrong! Yes, I said it, the dang plate it spelled wrong! So, we are about to put this plate into production but what would you do, would you fix the misspelled word or keep it screen accurate? I am not sure I want to answer all the questions about why the word is misspelled.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Travis

Please notice in the photo below that someone, somewhere, in a Galaxy far, far, far, very far away cannot spell.

INTERGALATIC is not INTERGALACTIC - if it is, The Beastie Boys have a lot of explaining to do.

I say fix it because everyone will ask you, and all the people who hang it in their collection why it is wrong. That will get old really fast!!

If it was me , and people know how is my Dark Helmet helmet ... I'll keep exactly how is screen apparence ... example : the front grill on the helmet is off clockwise a bit on the left ... or the belt buckle is offset to compare on the rest of the other spaceballs crew ... so I think this is the beauty of replicating something ... including the " inperfections "

keep it screen accurate. its like an inside joke. picky spaceball fans whether they knew about the misspell or not will appreciate the original prop. alternatively say that is WAS spelled right in the movie, and that some asian company were going to make cheap knock off plates and THEY spelled it incorrectly, that would just look silly wouldnt it?

so the fact that the movie replica is intentionally misspelled will make people say "how come thats wrong" you can proudly say "because thats how it was spelled in the movie". screen accuracy ftw.

I would say keep it screen accurate.

They could have done this on purpose, so it would line up with the center of the plate?

You could make a little information plaque that the buyer could hang under the sign. There it could say why it's misspelled.
Even the plaque could be a joke:

(SPACE BALLS THE INFORMATION PLAQUE)

I would say keep it screen accurate, and when you put it on your site, add a screen shot of it from the movie. Let people figure it out for themselves.

I also vote for screen accurate mis-spelling. Spelling it correctly is going to get you less comments from people who dont really know the material but more questions from the people who will really care.

I'd keep it screen-accurate.

My Deckard Blade Runner IDs have a misspelling on them to reflect the screen-used prop. I get asked a lot why does it say "PENAL COED" instead of "PENAL CODE" but I don't mind correcting them.

theshining.jpg

:lol

YAY! This is the one I suggested. So glad you have awesome connections to figure this out...

I would also say keep the incorrect spelling. This is Spaceballs right... maybe Lonestar had some phony plates so he didn't have to pay space-registration and sneak that thing through space-inspection.

KEEP IT! I don't think anyone knew what it said before, so it makes for a better show piece... (or if not, make a limited run with this misspelling, looks like a few of us will buy it! I'll PayPal NOW)

Thanks

Another vote for "keep the misspelling". And put a note on your website that says something to the effect of "The intentional misspelling of the word "Intergalactic" makes our plate 100% screen accurate" so that you won't be bombarded with "helpful" e-mails.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back