TDKR Catwoman build/costume study ( pic heavy )

Jedifyfe, Thank you! :$

Right now for the LEDs I'm planning on buying a bunch of little tea-light candle things...they're used for wedding centerpieces and such...gonna rip'em apart and try to just attach and hide the wiring on the underside or in between layers of the mask, depending on the route I take to make it. You can get 8 or 10 or something for like $5 on e-bay ( and I'm sure, locally, too ) so that's within budget for testing and possibly failing. :lol

I'd love to hear your suggestion, though!!

I'm thinking of just buying the PUL fabric...as soon as I figure out a way to make some sort of textured plate or surface to iron it over. HMMMMM.

You know, I'm really quite contradictory... I want to stay within budget and work with minimal materials...but I'd rather just buy all the fabric I need instead of waiting for a small swatch and going from there. Ahh, I need to work on my patience.

Here's a good angle on the puff style used. Got it off a catwoman mag in the comics section at books a gillion lol
IMAG0196.jpg

Thanks Jedifyfe!! I'll definitely have to check out one of the bajillion dollar stores around here for something like that! That would be perfect and no waiting on shipping! haha

batmanfan, of course they'll flip up! I have a few techniques in store I want to try out...will definitely keep up with the updates as I try them. :)

Great can't wait!!! Im trying to make my own mask and goggles!! we will definitely have to keep each other posted!! :) Ive tried so many things and didn't even think of craft foam!! I'll definitely try the foam idea...the most troublesome part for me are the goggles flipping up and down!!

Last edited:
Check this thread out! Admitedly they aren't the most attractive catwoman model going around but the mask looks sensational! Well worth the investment I think.

SupernaturalFan, I think you forgot to post the link....but are you referring to gvmario's ( SP? too lazy to check ) thread? I'm sure he's a handsome fella, I'm just assuming that's the model you speak of because he's not...you know....catWOMAN. :lol

His mask is fantastic but I'm on a tight budget. Even more so after dropping another $4000 on furniture today ( alongside the $5000 on Monday... :sick ) ugh... I feel worse typing those numbers out...the mask wouldn't really be an investment for me since I actually rarely get to wear the costumes I make and don't really display them either. :(

There's another one I may commission that is within my budget...I have a friend who is amazing at craft foam wear and he might give it a go... but I've made a VERY rough prototype myself and it gave me a lot of insight on how to pattern it out a bit more accurately and make it for myself with craft foam. It can be molded just by warming it up a bit so to make it fit me specifically, it shouldn't be a problem. One thing I love about the mask is the depth and layered look and that's something I hope to achieve with the craft foam and either a couple layers of modge podge or plastidip to smooth things over depending on how clean I can get it.

Hey aelynn000, just wanted to say that I'm a huge fan of your Rapunzel costume, and that I'm sure you'll make a great catwoman too! Leaving that aside, I've found some info that might be useful about the costume, so I'm just gonna paste it :). It's an excerpt from an interview with the costume designer :

Catwoman of course I knew a little of, especially Michelle Pfeiffer’s costume by the great Bob Ringwood (with Mary Vogt). However, as usual, we soon abandoned that path, and embarked on looking for real life parallels for both of them. The catsuit worn by Anne Hathaway is actually a two-piece, separated by a low slung, fitted utility belt; her serrated heels double as weapons. The suit’s outer material is polyurethane coated Spandex with an embossed hexagonal pattern. Catwoman iconography is referenced subtly by night vision goggles (also functioning as a jeweller’s loupe) that flip up to form ‘ears’ when not in use.

Source: TDKR: Costume Designer Lindy Hemming Talks In Detail About Her Work On The Film

firefly, batmanfan...no progress pics yet. Still in the process of moving and trying to get things sorted out. The 'prototype' mask was literally just a slab of craft foam in the general shape of the mask to give me a better idea for sizing/patterning. Really not much to see. :lol

daniel, thank you so much! I feel like I'm pretty plain looking so it's fun to pick drastically different types of characters and try to transform myself. And if you know me, you'd know I really...Really...REALLY love cats. I just can't not make another Catwoman(/cat burglar ) costume. Thanks for that blurb about the suit! I really think I'm going to end up buying some PUL fabric, as much as I wanted to ...not spend anything more...and use what I had. I'm going to buy a little bit, see if I can maybe iron it over my existing fabric to emboss some texture and see how that plays out. Really interesting about it being two pieces. Though I almost feel as if she meant it's two pieces ( pants and top half ) sewn together in the middle. All of her statements re: the costume are so vague. :| Either way, I think that's how mine will be in order to have a proper fit on the bum and avoid any issues with the top half slipping up above the belt or anything wacky like that. :)

I'm glad it was useful! ^^ maybe it was a two pieces, ir order to be easier to put on, but them it had some kind of buttons or something (sorry, but my english vocabulary about couture is VERy limited to say the list) to join them after putting on them , so it wouldn't wrinkle or separate? and those might have been hidden by the belt? dunno LOL!

You could totally make the mask out of craft foam. If you heat craft foam up in an oven for about 20 seconds it becomes very pliable and you can shape it to anything. It will stay in that shape and "harden" a little bit.

If you have a mannequin head to use as a form that would be perfect.

I found this link yesterday, which has some pics of the screen used suit: Hollywood Movie Costumes and Props: Anne Hathaway's Catwoman costume from The Dark Knight Rises... Original film costumes and props on display

I agree Aelynn that the suit is probably sewn together at the waist. With the front zip it shouldn't be any issue to fit into it.

Ordered a swatch of matte vinyl 4-way stretch fabric from spandexhouse last night. It's been hard to find something matte enough that has the rubber look in my local fabric stores. I did find some seersucker fabric that has a similar texture, so if we can't get embossing to work I'm thinking maybe layering the seersucker under the spandex to give some texture. There are car upholstery places that will do custom embossing on vinyl - but I think pure vinyl without stretch would not work.

I'm also trying to make this suit for my wife. I'm thinking of trying regular textured stretch fabric and spraying a layer of latex...maybe use Plasti-dip for a trial. I'll let you know how it turns out.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back