TDKR Catwoman build/costume study ( pic heavy )

I'm also trying to make this suit for my wife. I'm thinking of trying regular textured stretch fabric and spraying a layer of latex...maybe use Plasti-dip for a trial. I'll let you know how it turns out.

That would be wonderful! I was thinking about trying something like that myself...I'll also post about the results. :)

Nothing on the update front here... I got my sunglasses for my goggle lenses...that's about it. >_>

I'm waiting till somebody tries the fabric to start this one. I did go ahead and got the mask and goggles from Gvmario, but that's it, and i can always display them in a bust /head :3 i have a fabric that has the perfect color and rubbery look, which is also thin and a matte black color but i dont know how to give it the right texture, i tried using something underneath and heating it with a blowdryer but it didnt work, maybe with a heat gun it could work but im afraid i might ruin the fabric T.T

I just got this idea, it might not work of course, but what if we used 3D paint and made small lines on the inside of the fabric, when pressed against the skin, spandex and lycra and that sorts of fabric tend to take the shape of whatever's behind it so it might get the right texture :3 i'll try it out and let you guys know :)

Btw, does anybody have a good ref pic of her dress from the ball?

I'm waiting till somebody tries the fabric to start this one. I did go ahead and got the mask and goggles from Gvmario, but that's it, and i can always display them in a bust /head :3 i have a fabric that has the perfect color and rubbery look, which is also thin and a matte black color but i dont know how to give it the right texture, i tried using something underneath and heating it with a blowdryer but it didnt work, maybe with a heat gun it could work but im afraid i might ruin the fabric T.T

I just got this idea, it might not work of course, but what if we used 3D paint and made small lines on the inside of the fabric, when pressed against the skin, spandex and lycra and that sorts of fabric tend to take the shape of whatever's behind it so it might get the right texture :3 i'll try it out and let you guys know :)

Btw, does anybody have a good ref pic of her dress from the ball?

Looks like the hexagonal pattern sticks outside of the fabric so if the outer layer is super thin so it's breathable, depending on well the fabric hugs to your body, then the pattern may stand out more..?

I'm also trying to make this suit for my wife. I'm thinking of trying regular textured stretch fabric and spraying a layer of latex...maybe use Plasti-dip for a trial. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Yes please tell us how that works! Curious if the Plastidip would have too much of a texture...

Got my fabric samples yesterday, and played around with them some. One is a perfect rubbery look with 4 way stretch (Left sample). The other sample is a little easier to stretch but more pleather looking (Right sample). Even though the pleather one feels easier to stretch when measured they both do about 1/2" in one direction and 1" in the other.

I tried last night to do a quick and dirty puff paint pattern on a piece of spandex. The problem I had when layering is that the lines were not perfectly the same height, and so the edges poke up more than the middle. The spacing was due entirely to laziness.

Here is the Puff Paint after drying overnight:

Here it is layered under the PUL (first image) and pleather (second image). What is interesting is I did get a little bit of a hex pattern. The thought of doing ALL THAT PUFF PAINT though makes me want to cry. I don't know if I have the patience OR steady hands to do that for an entire suit.

I might try to put some puff paint directly on the backside of the swatch as suggested by peytonriley and see what that looks like. Theoretically it might look better because it will be flat where it contacts the surface. I turned over the swatch I made with the puff paint on it but it didn't look like much. That might have just been the material, since it was a thicker spandex type that I had lying around.

And finally, here are the swatches with the seersucker cotton under them. Definitely a more uniform look, just not anywhere near screen accurate.

Ooh that is discouraging :/ i wanted to try that myself too. Maybe your fabric is thicker than mine, so i could still give it a try :3 still, the last pic's texture isn't that bad you know? :3

Here is the Quick n Dirty Reverse puff paint. Puff paint directly on the backside of the pleather-look fabric. This is actually encouraging. The description of screen printed PUL makes a lot more sense now. Going to order a larger amount of the fabric and take my time on some larger samples to see if any of these would be doable on a larger scale. Now, how to get a truly embossed look out of it....

Here is the Quick n Dirty Reverse puff paint. Puff paint directly on the backside of the pleather-look fabric. This is actually encouraging. The description of screen printed PUL makes a lot more sense now. Going to order a larger amount of the fabric and take my time on some larger samples to see if any of these would be doable on a larger scale. Now, how to get a truly embossed look out of it....

That's a interesting result that you ended up getting.

hey guys, i'm sharing my own try on this, it actually looks much better in person, and consider this is about 1 inch in thickness of lines, so it wasnt much fabric to stretch, but i think it looks pretty good. also, the photo was taken with my cell, so the fabric looks nothing like it really is, it's like a rubbery thin spandex, and it doesnt have those ugly lines like in the picture T.T

see for yourselves :3

img_20120809_00687_by_sandysuicide-d5ald1w.jpg

Hey everyone, here is the fabric I am working with, and while it is far from perfect,

Its got a nice stretch, and gives the same textured look, i think, as the original fabric.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Love that fabric gvmario!! REALLY love it... is it a stretch vinyl orrrrrrr?

Interesting to see the results everyone is getting with layering too. I REALLY wish I just had more time to get to experimenting with mine. So much on my plate lately! ERGHHH.

Hey Aelynn,

its a stretch PU, or vinyl, nice matte look with enough stretch to conform and tighten at the same time.

I am almost 99% positive she was wearing a cincher in the movie as well!!

Top half complete!!! again, crappy pic which really don't show off the fabric!
I am going to do this as a one piece I think so that it stays snug!

getattachment7aspx.jpg

By gvmaraio at 2012-08-09

getattachment6aspx.jpg

getattachment9aspx.jpg

Y'know, if you keep this up you're going to be THE person to go to for all things TDKR Catwoman. :p What a very interestingly textured material (and the shape of the top half of this outfit just looks immaculate!) Whoever gets to wear that costume is going to look A-grade AMAZING!

Hey

I just posted a about my trials trying to build the catwoman mask from scratch - if it comes out decent and i have spare material I could make you one if you think its going to be the weakest part of your outfit?

Catwoman Mask build

Phil

Y'know, if you keep this up you're going to be THE person to go to for all things TDKR Catwoman. :p What a very interestingly textured material (and the shape of the top half of this outfit just looks immaculate!) Whoever gets to wear that costume is going to look A-grade AMAZING!

Thank you, there are so many talented people on this board, I am so glad we can all share our projects with each other!!!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back