Purchasing a replica that is not screen accurate?

soumakis

There is a prop replica I would like to purchase, that comes directly from the designer who created the original piece for the film but not truly screen accurate. It's made from the same molds the designer used to make the original, but the one he is selling to the public is different color. I asked if he could make it the same color as the the film used one, and he said no because he does not want someone taking the replica and claiming/selling it as screen used.

What is the community's view on such a replica prop, it's authentic because it comes directly from the designer but not entirely screen accurate. Would you still purchase this or pass on it? Thank you!

There is a prop replica I would like to purchase, that comes directly from the designer who created the original piece for the film but not truly screen accurate. It's made from the same molds the designer used to make the original, but the one he is selling to the public is different color. I asked if he could make it the same color as the the film used one, and he said no because he does not want someone taking the replica and claiming/selling it as screen used.

What is the community's view on such a replica prop, it's authentic because it comes directly from the designer but not entirely screen accurate. Would you still purchase this or pass on it? Thank you!

If you want it--Buy it!

I'm 40/60 right now to be honest, it looks great but it's not screen accurate. Specifically the screen used one is silver and the replica bronze, so there is quite a difference in appearance. I like the fact that it comes authentic straight from the designer, but am still thinking whether paying a couple thousand for a replica that is not screen accurate is worth it?

If its from the designer, and cast from the molds then its as screen accurate as you will ever get barring screen used, ok so the color is off either live with it or paint it. because if its legit I don't think you would get a better opportunity. or is it something that would be near impossible to paint or color match or something?

I think it's really cool that the designer has the integrity to not want to have people confuse screen used with aftermarket products. For that reason alone I say buy it. If you happen to have had this conversation through email, print it out as a kick ass certificate of authenticity.

Soumakis, can we know what it is ? Now I'm dead curious.

... and picturing Obi Wan in a tutu 'aint helping :lol

Last edited:
I struggle with the title of this thread. Why would anyone buy any replica that isn't accurate if they know better? I hear what you're saying and all, but you may as well be saying, 'this is as good as it gets so....'

If you're talking thousands, I'd say a spade better damned well be a spade.

If you gotta have it and you're going to keep it, paint it and enjoy it.

As a propmaker and a collector, I want bang-on accurate if it's coming from the source. That's the builders worry about it being passed off as an original down the road...if there's nothing but a paint job stopping that from happening (if one were so inclined) I fail to see the builders logic.

If you're being charged a hefty premium, make sure you get what you want. It's a tough economy out there.

-Rylo

For me , I'd prefer it accurate from the seller. Could he not find another way to differentiate it from a screen used one?
Also would be interested to know what it is ;-)

*This opinion may draw some backlash...if you just want to know my opinion about whether to buy it or not, go to the last paragraph :p

I think buying something that is interesting, but not necessarily completely accurate, is better than buying fully screen-accurate replicas of say, arbitrary background props. I sometimes can't fathom why people spend hundreds on various background props that are just arbitrary pieces of kit, just to be able to claim "screen accuracy"...

Back in the day (which probably means more to others round here than me given that i'm only 24!), on my limited budget and inexperience, I used to collect store-sourced background props to supplement what I already had, for example, I spent £70 on a metal case that appears as a background prop in an episode of SG1...Now I feel like a fool for wasting the money.

To me, i'd rather have a slightly less accurate version of a more intricate and unique prop, than a £1000 worth of random background crap for various different collections, that although completely screen accurate, has no soul to it. I know my NECA Portal Gun probably isn't completely accurate. Do I care? No. I still giggle like a madman when I run around my house in the dark blasting the walls with blue and orange light. :-D

Screen USED is obviously an entirely different kettle of fish, I can appreciate that people want this stuff because it's a piece of the history of the show/movie.

So in my opinion, if you can validate paying however much it is, and given that it's from the original mold, i'd say go for it if it makes you happy. As has already been said, you can always repaint it. In the end it's how the thing makes you feel over the small inaccuracies.

Apologies for the tangent of the post.

My wife has bought me the United Cutlery Connor Macleod Hand Forged Series Katana for my 30th Birthday - the kicker? It's signed by Christopher Lambert :)

After reading up about the sword, I've come to realise that it is a blend between several different versions of the sword. In all honesty I think it resembles the H2 katana - but that's just my opinion.

Anyways, there are a few other minor cosmetically different elements - but in all honesty - when you look at it, it is blatantly Connor's katana, and it's also a gorgeous sword. That is all that matters.

In summary it's signed, and a gift from my wife which also makes it extra special - so I'm certainly not going to let a few minor discrepancies detract from the item :)

If you want it get it, waiting for another one has always hurt me in the end.

As for it being dead on screen accurate, paint it or keep it as is and print out his reasoning as mentioned before and post that with it when you show it off.

What is 'it'?

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back