Captain America TFA Costume Build - DONE! - New Helmet Build Pics!

Re: Captain America TFA Costume Build - WIP

Those boots look great Jordan! If you wanted to swap out some of the top eyelets for hooks, you would be pretty dead on for accuracy :thumbsup

Hey, This material is Shapeways White Strong and Flexible (WSF) it's like a tough nylon material that contains some flex, but won't break. :)

These pieces are already painted and weathered, will post more once I get the pieces together.

what material is it made from?

Thanks, you haven't seen anything yet. ;)
Beautiful 3d models! The suit looks like it's really coming along well.

Thanks Kevin, not worried about dead-nuts accuracy... I might swap em... but probably not.. unless you can point me towards where to get them, then I will. :)

Those boots look great Jordan! If you wanted to swap out some of the top eyelets for hooks, you would be pretty dead on for accuracy :thumbsup

Updates coming soon. I received the costume base, which is getting a complete overhaul, as expected. :)

I also received my gloves from Ravenswood leather, I want to do a couple tweaks to them, then dye.

Airsoft Shield also arrived, it's beautiful. I'm going to etch the lines in, etc... then paint...

Here arises my question for you guys...

What paints should I use? I want a metallic base, then some sort of a semi-opaque metallic red and blue...

Here are some I'm considering...

Silver]Tamiya Aircraft Spray AS-12 BareMetalSlvr. TAM86512 4950344994847 | eBay

Red]Tamiya Spray Lacquer TS-18 Metallic R TAM85018 4950344993604 | eBay

Blue]Tamiya Spray Lacquer TS-19 Metallic B TAM85019 | eBay

Good choices staying with the same company to avoid the paint reacting.
I used the Dupli-color and while happy with the results recommend avoiding them.
If clear coating, do suggest testing your metalized paints and clear coat on something other than your shield.
Some metalized paints dull when clear coat is applied. The Dupli-color red and blue were fine but the Chrome and Rustoleum Crystal Clear Enamel was a bad combination.

Really looking forward to seeing a finished airsoft shield.

So do you think those paints would work? And if so, how many should I buy of each? I have no plans on clear coating, in the past I've had nothing but issues clear coating things, it finger prints, scuffs, dents, etc... Besides his shield isn't shiny in the movie... it's dull, brushed aluminum looking, and I'll be giving this a battle worn look.

So do you think those paints are a good choice? Designed for scale models.

I used Tamiya alot building Macross models and it is really good paint. Haven't used it on anything as big as a shield.

Just a guess. One can of Blue, two cans of Red and no less than four cans of Silver.

I had no choice but to clear coat with the steel shield. Don't think the song would very good, "When Captain America throws his ball of rust!"

So would I spray the whole thing silver, front and back, then mask off and paint the red/blue over the silver?

actually i wouldnt spray it silver at all.
i would do a base coat of black, or dark grey, and drybrush the silver part on. this way you get the nice brushed metal look, if you have the dark background. also, you can do it in circular motion to simulate the brushed metal look from milling

then a semi opaque red andblue, and a good clearcoat.

and if you wanna add a little more, add a little black wash for the groves and stuff

Last edited:

I'd rather not clearcoat, no reason to do that. Any semi opaque red and blue paints, as well as the silver paints you'd suggest... I'm talking brand.

J

Talking about technique and remember that you can't teach technique.

I'd primer the shield Dark Gray or Black, dark primers work better under Chrome, Silver and Aluminum then spray the entire shield silver and then use a clear red and clear blue. It is important to have an even color base under clear or opaque paints and over spray or error in masking will be very visible.
Another good reason to do a battle damaged shield.

For the spin appearance, spin the shield use 60 grit sandpaper before you paint to have physical groves and then lightly spin after the silver paint with 500.
You will already learn about the nature of the plastic since you intent to engrave the lines on the star. In that, will the plastic cut and sand smoothly or will it be kind of fuzzy and fibrous.

As for brands, I believe Chris Fields used Testor's clear red and clear blue on all of his aluminum metal shields.
The only choice after that is what Silver you want to use as a base and if you paint the entire shield.

good paint choices, definitely test first if you can. I know the clear red and blue you chose do come out on the light side, but if the silver underneath is dark enough, they'll turn out just right.

I've gone the Airsoft shield route myself and step one before the thought of painting comes up is sand the whole thing down. I'm sure others have mentioned it but once it's sanded down you can lay down a primer. I chose a white colored primer and my goal was not movie replica but for more of a comic book look to it. The red I used was a fire engine red and used it for the back of the shield as well. The blue was a sky blue color and once everything came together it looked like it came from the comics.

So do you think those paints would work? And if so, how many should I buy of each? I have no plans on clear coating, in the past I've had nothing but issues clear coating things, it finger prints, scuffs, dents, etc... Besides his shield isn't shiny in the movie... it's dull, brushed aluminum looking, and I'll be giving this a battle worn look.

So do you think those paints are a good choice? Designed for scale models.

Duplicolor Metalcast red and Blue

Duplicolor Metalcast Silver base, but I prefer Eastwood Chrome for base.

Spray the chrome on the item then use steel wool, (strokes going in one direction) to achieve your brushed metal finish then spray your Metalcast.

I got some Metalcast in the garage so I can shoot some for you if you want.

Thanks Macky! So with the Duplicolor Metalcast, will the red and blue allow enough of the silver beneath it to show through to give it a real metal look?

I'll pick some up asap. :)

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back