Man Of Steel Suit Build (Pic Heavy)

ManOfSteel

Hello! As I plan on going to comic-con next year, I wanted something really cool to wear. Man Of Steel will be huge next year so I decided to go with a new movie Superman Suit. This is my first build on this scale but I think I can do it with the help of the immensely talented artists on this site.
Game Plan:
~Make an under suit (via dye sublimation) with patterns for the locations of the detail pieces (belts and such.)
~Try myself or commission someone to make the urethane pieces for the sleeves, cape line, belt, million pattern pieces, and most importantly... the logo.
~Attach all the urethane detail and attach it to the lycra dye sub suit.
~Make the cape and probably a magnetic attachment system.
~Somehow find the boots.

I know Sonjou is the master of dye sublimation files, and I based my Superman base pattern on his because all the seams fell like they did in the production photos but since I know nothing about about sewing I'm not sure everything measures out correctly. I don't even think I have it scaled right, for example the wrist is currently 6 inches while my wrist is 7 inches. I don't know if you're supposed to factor in stretching????
I'm a film maker and photographer but I don't work with photoshop on this scale so I think I'll just surrender and try to buy the base pattern from Sonjou.
I attached what I created, but I'm no where near as good as he is...
Here's what I made:
View attachment 104741
View attachment 104743

I also attached my first try at the pattern they put on the new suit.
Here's what I based that on:
comic-con-man-of-steel-header.jpg

View attachment 104742

If someone wants to modify the pattern to be more accurate I can send them the pattern or they can start from scratch.

Here's my concerns:
~Not being able to create the pattern myself (but I can always turn to Sonjou)
~Scaling everything correctly.
~Finding someone to make all those urethane pieces (including the thousand + pattern pieces)
~Finding a replica pair of boots.

I know I'm starting early but I've never made a costume replica from scratch before.
If anyone has ANY suggestions I'd love to hear them! (colors, patterns, people who could make the urethane detail, boots)

Thanks!

Last edited:
This process on the fabric is getting popular on costumes. (the rubber looking bits) I bet there is a way to get it done without breaking the bank not counting the fabric paint technique. The "S" itself I would sculpt and cast it then attach it to the top. Good luck on your build. Do LOTS of homework. Thanks to SDCC there are plenty of pix of the suit with closeups. Look forward to seeing this completed.

This process on the fabric is getting popular on costumes. (the rubber looking bits) I bet there is a way to get it done without breaking the bank not counting the fabric paint technique. The "S" itself I would sculpt and cast it then attach it to the top. Good luck on your build. Do LOTS of homework. Thanks to SDCC there are plenty of pix of the suit with closeups. Look forward to seeing this completed.

I noticed "The Amazing Spiderman" utilized this technique heavily on Garfield's costume. The "Replica Remedy" seems to universally be "Puff Paint." Do you think this could be done in puff paint? I looked closer at some Comic Con closeups and I think the pattern is rigid and not beveled like I thought... I'm working a more accurate pattern now.

I hope I can find someone to do the "S"!

Thanks for the interest!

Here's a quick update:
I sent Sonjou a message about the base pattern, can't wait for a response!

Also upon closer examination of the photos uploaded by Art Andrews of the suit from comic con, I revised my urethane detail pattern to be more accurate:
View attachment 104890

Does this look better? Does it still need work?

An additional concern arose when I noticed the comic con pictures of the boots covered with the urethane detail pieces...:eek
Here's a link to that picture:
Man of Steel - Superman Costume - the RPF Gallery

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the boots have lycra stretched over them then the dark blue urethan detail applied on top?

This is a really complicated build but I must have faith!!!

Great start on this project. I made this suit early on for SDCC 2012. Didn't get the color right and didn't know about all the details parts. But I'm looking to do one as well for 2013. Keep up the great work ! :)

-Trey

comic-con-man-of-steel-header.jpg

The second design is better but look at the arcs they are not mirrors of each other. The lower arc is thicker than the upper arc. You make that change and I think you got a good match for the pathern. Good luck.

The second design is better but look at the arcs they are not mirrors of each other. The lower arc is thicker than the upper arc. You make that change and I think you got a good match for the pathern. Good luck.

Excellent observation! I'll get on that! Thanks!

TRIP3 said:
Great start on this project. I made this suit early on for SDCC 2012. Didn't get the color right and didn't know about all the details parts. But I'm looking to do one as well for 2013. Keep up the great work !

Thanks! I would LOVE to see pictures of yours!!! What all materials did you use (especially on the emblem)? Did you use the Dye-Sublimation method?

Is the MOS suit a two piece design or is that a one piece suit? I was thinking maybe this could work with some light weight chain mail

I meant to ask in my previous post, What is the Dye sublimation method? I've seen it mentioned does anyone have a good link to the explanation?

Is the MOS suit a two piece design or is that a one piece suit? I was thinking maybe this could work with some light weight chain mail

It is 4 pieces, my screen shot did not include the back and arms. I thought it did look like chain mail and even considered making a conjoined pattern so it's one piece of urethane, but if you look closely the pieces are all separate...

stidham23 said:
I meant to ask in my previous post, What is the Dye sublimation method? I've seen it mentioned does anyone have a good link to the explanation?

Essentially you get a really hi res picture and take it to a company that has a machine to print on 4 way stretch lycra. I'm not sure exactly but I think they stretch the lycra while printing so it doesn't lose its color if you stretch it afterwards. It allows for excellent muscle shading detail and in the case of this suit, you can print "patterns" so you know exactly where to put the urethane detail.
Thanks for your interest!

Great start on this project. I made this suit early on for SDCC 2012. Didn't get the color right and didn't know about all the details parts. But I'm looking to do one as well for 2013. Keep up the great work ! :)

-Trey

From your profile picture it also looks like you have pretty accurate cuff pieces! Can I ask what you made them out of?

stidham23 said:
@ManofSteel I think that is probably the closest your going to find. Also thanks for the response to my questions! Goo luck!

Thanks! I hope you stay involved in the project! Any suggestions you have just throw them my way!

UPDATE:
I'm currently pondering the sizing of the urethane detail pieces. Still waiting on a response from Sonjou about the base patter, I'm just not confident enough to try it myself!

I think that's as close as you are going to get. It is a chainmail armor look with a connecting pin between the sections. So unless you want to knit it or make out of rings I think that's pretty good.

UPDATE:
Sonjou messaged me back! I've officially surrendered my dye-sub template and will wait for Sonjou's. He matched the colors a lot better. I'll still ask him if he can use my detail pattern.
If anyone wants to work with my base pattern I'll put it up.

In the next couple days I'll test the chain mail detail on a piece of Lycra with puff paint to see if it works.

UPDATE:
Ok, I think it'll take a while for Sonjou to get to my commission, so that'll give me enough time to think about the detail pieces. I bout cheap puff paint from Wal-Mart (I accidentally bought black:facepalm) and the tip was so big it was really hard to get the detail of the curves. I even tried free handed on some blue Lycra and it was an absolute catastrophe. The paint gets absorbed into both the paper and the lycra in ways I didn't expect.

I prefer to find someone to make really small urethane pieces. But if I can't find someone... With a LOT of practice I think the Puff paint may work...:confused

I decided not to upload a picture because it's so bad. I'm going to try again really hard tomorrow. If ANYONE has puff paint experience and can give me tips that would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Hi MOS, you asked about my suit...It was a quick build. I used all cloth material to make it. For the "S" logo I had a sports shop make a patch out of tackle twill. Same thing NFL logos are made out of. Here is a fuller pic...

7595489414_0c2cce1dfa_z.jpg

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back