Yet another Iron Man Mark VII WIP (UPDATE: Aug 27 - last page)

charades

Hello everyone. I'm kinda new...been lurking the forums for a couple months.

I'm starting construction on a partial Mark vii suit for FanExpo in Toronto. The final costume will be my interpretation because I'm female and simply don't want to wear a male shaped suit of armor. I know some girls do, but I just don't want to. Also, this is for a genderbender Avengers cosplay group. I'm a seamstress before an armor or prop builder, so I'm making a base garment which is a red and gold jumpsuit that is not 100% accurate, and then planning to pep the shoulders, chest, back, forearms and gloves, calves and boot. I'm leaving out the abs/cod/helmet/thighs.

I used the modded version of Darkside501's Mark VII pep files.
This is my first attempt, so the materials I'm using are cheap since I was afraid of wasting time/money on more expensive better quality materials. If this works, I want to go the fibreglass and bondo route later.

Continuous updates and photo posts can also be found on my tumblr - The Ironman Project

Materials used:
craft foam (also called "foamies")
muslin because I have a crap ton lying around
Mod Podge
hot glue
a comic graphic/illustration marker to draw the outlines of my pattern onto the foam, and that transfers ink all over my hands :)( my thumbs are blue)

The arc reactor is done (though not by me - my boyfriend created this from scratch because I don't know anything about electronics and he does):
tumblr_m5kb46K2u01ryywpqo1_500.jpg

Pepped the shoulder in paper to check size, fit, etc:
tumblr_m7hk1qLcyn1ryywpqo1_500.jpg

tumblr_m7hk3sH1vA1ryywpqo1_500.jpg

Then pepped it in foam:
tumblr_m7hqepz0vj1ryywpqo1_500.jpg

And reinforced on the inside with mod podge and muslin:
tumblr_m7hqkgtxSA1ryywpqo1_500.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Yet another Iron Man Mark VII WIP (photos)

Hello everyone. I'm kinda new...been lurking the forums for a couple months.

I'm starting construction on a partial Mark vii suit for FanExpo in Toronto. The final costume will be my interpretation because I'm female and simply don't want to wear a male shaped suit of armor. I know some girls do, but I just don't want to. Also, this is for a genderbender Avengers cosplay group. I'm a seamstress before an armor or prop builder, so I'm making a base garment which is a red and gold jumpsuit that is not 100% accurate, and then planning to pep the shoulders, chest, back, forearms and gloves, calves and boot. I'm leaving out the abs/cod/helmet/thighs.

I used the modded version of Darkside501's Mark VII pep files.
This is my first attempt, so the materials I'm using are cheap since I was afraid of wasting time/money on more expensive better quality materials. If this works, I want to go the fibreglass and bondo route later.

Continuous updates and photo posts can also be found on my tumblr - The Ironman Project

Materials used:
craft foam (also called "foamies")
muslin because I have a crap ton lying around
Mod Podge
hot glue
a comic graphic/illustration marker to draw the outlines of my pattern onto the foam, and that transfers ink all over my hands :)( my thumbs are blue)

The arc reactor is done (though not by me - my boyfriend created this from scratch because I don't know anything about electronics and he does):
tumblr_m5kb46K2u01ryywpqo1_500.jpg

Pepped the shoulder in paper to check size, fit, etc:
tumblr_m7hk1qLcyn1ryywpqo1_500.jpg

tumblr_m7hk3sH1vA1ryywpqo1_500.jpg

Then pepped it in foam:
tumblr_m7hqepz0vj1ryywpqo1_500.jpg

And reinforced on the inside with mod podge and muslin:
tumblr_m7hqkgtxSA1ryywpqo1_500.jpg

Sounds like an awesome idea, lookin forward to seeing how this turns out :)

Update :)

Got some more done recently. It's been a bit slow. The forearm was kind of fiddly. I have skinny arms, so the pep didn't fit once I elongated it.

(I know there's some paint drips on my shoulder bell :( I'm going to attempt gently sanding it down)
tumblr_m7ika4DwBA1ryywpqo2_500.jpg

tumblr_m7w2yp0OpW1ryywpqo4_500.jpg

The first attempt was too short:
tumblr_m7w2yp0OpW1ryywpqo1_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_m7w2yp0OpW1ryywpqo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_m7w2yp0OpW1ryywpqo3_1280.jpg

gah the last 3 pics came out huge. I don't know how to fix that. They're linked from my tumblr.

If you have pepakura designer, you can elongate the pieces in one axis... or you can manually adjust the foam...

This past weekend was FanExpo 2012 where my group debuted our genderbender Avengers costumes! We saw tons of other genderbenders of course, and although we lost our own Loki and Captain America, we managed to recruit others for a few shots! Here's a sample, more on my Flickr stream if you're interested.

IMG_1158 by kryosleepless, on Flickr

IMG_1156 by kryosleepless, on Flickr

IMG_1162 by kryosleepless, on Flickr

IMG_1175 by kryosleepless, on Flickr

IMG_1182 copy by kryosleepless, on Flickr

IMG_1186 by kryosleepless, on Flickr
Derp

If you have pepakura designer, you can elongate the pieces in one axis... or you can manually adjust the foam...

Elongating on the one axis in designer resulted in overall ratio resize, so we had to do it manually with the foam. Same thing happened with the shins because I didn't have time to engineer a way to open them up to put my legs in, we had to make them big enough to slide my leg in like an actual boot. After a lot of trial and error, though, it worked out pretty well.

So long as you get the results you want, you do whatever you need to do :L Well done, the results look excellent, I love what you did with the costumes... :)

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back