David Tennant Doctor Who Tardis 1/2 Scale Build

SirJediKnightTim

I am building a 1/2 scale Tardis. And I have a couple of questions.

1. Was the hardware (handles/lock/hinges) copper or silver color?
2. Any ideas what the best color would be that I can pick up at Home Depot? I tried a sample of Glidden GLB03 Cool Cobalt and it's too light blue. I am not sure I want it the same color as David Tennant's (even thought I am building this to be like his Tardis) or a little more blue. Any ideas?

I started yesterday, but it's coming along pretty quickly. Building the 1/2 Scale Tardis | Facebook

I am to this point after 9 days of construction. I only have to finish the signs, add the lights to the inside and put on the second handle. I couldn't find a 1/2 David Tennant style lamp, so I went old school with a Tom Baker style.

opendoor.jpg
[/IMG]

halftardis.jpg

Last edited:
Re: David Tennant Doctor Who Tardis Questions

I think it's a tarnished silver color for the hardware. I'm fond of Rustoleum's Oxford Blue (it's a rattle can color) for all of my TARDIS Blue needs.

I did my own color matching & wound up going with Behr "Southern Blue" from Home Depot.

My build thread for our TARDIS, (linked to the post with the photo of the paint label from Home Depot):

http://www.therpf.com/f9/our-t-r-d-i-s-143250/#post2197075

Hope that helps.

Have fun! :)

2. Any ideas what the best color would be that I can pick up at Home Depot? I tried a sample of Glidden GLB03 Cool Cobalt and it's too light blue. I am not sure I want it the same color as David Tennant's (even thought I am building this to be like his Tardis) or a little more blue. Any ideas?

I started yesterday, but it's coming along pretty quickly. Building the 1/2 Scale Tardis | Facebook

you should check out tardisbuilders.com they have more TARDIS info than one human needs to know.

Hey your build looks great! Well done

The door handles and lock are brass. They are painted over with the TARDIS blue color and then artificially sanded or scored to let the original color show through.

The hinges for the the Pull to Open sign are also brass which was painted over and distressed. Which leads me to believe the door hinges are as well, however from the below pic it is hard for me to say for sure on that as they look both silver and brass to me the most I stare at this. Silver is the way I am leaning though, even though brass makes more sense.

In this pic is a show if the Eccleston box being constructed and you can see the PTO hinges are brass (Tennant used the same Box as well as having new ones made in fiberglass and later a new construction in wood, but the all seem to use brass here as well, just this pic shows it clearest).

You can also see a close up pic of the PTO door handle (which matched the regular door handle in color, not size of course) and it is worn to show the brass. This pic of the handle is from Idiot's Lantern.

Also from that same pic (Idiot's Lantern) we can see the door, which is where I am uncertain. I still feel it looks more silver, but I'll leave that open for discussion.

Doorparts.jpg

In this pic you can see the door lock cylinder and ring are brass painted over and distressed. You can even clearly see that it was an ERA lock. Pic is from Blink.

3x10-Blink-6.png

Water's of Mars also shows the lock color well, although the scored the ERA logo off the lock now:

4x16-WatersOfMars-2.png

and for good measure, I'm sure you've seen this before, but the inside lock is a brass ERA traditional door lock.

3x11-Utopia-2.png

As for the color blue they use, I don't know the exact name of color, but looking at pics of the box being constructed, they used a really light blue, very much akin to McCoy's Silver Nemesis blue. Then they distressed and washed it with darker colors to give it that aged dark look.

Starting color
tardiscolor.jpg

Nice info!!!

Would anybody happen to have a pdf file for the Police Box sign? I guess I will have to find a graphics shop or something that can make it in black vinyl.

I'm also having trouble finding the a lantern that looks like the gardsman persian lantern in half scale.

Here's one of my signs that I made. I originally made it with GIMP but I converted it to a .jpg to upload for ya'. :)

Good luck!

I am getting some questions on how I built mine, what measurements, and what kind of materials. Since I responded with this, I figured I would paste it here if others would like to know so the can build one. Or at least give them a starting point.

My measurements are...

The walls are 39 1/2" x 22"
Doors 39 1/4" x just under 11"
The main molding that is all over the tardis measures 2" wide x 1/2" thick. It is poplar and is sold in the "crafty" are of Home Depot. It's sold in 48" strips, and is a bargan at $2.25 each. Almost all of them are super flat, really great wood. I wouldn't build the Tardis without it. You will need about 40' of it, so you do save a ton of money using it rather than a pay by the foot board. So the square open areas in the door measure 8" x 8".

The center molding that I run up the door is 3/4" wide.

I use 1/2" square molding around the doors (top and both sides) and around the outside to make the window. I use 1/4" square molding for the inside window pieces.

For the windows/glass. I use 2 different pieces, to be David Tennant's Tardis. The bottom left and right windows I use what looks like pebbled glass, and crackle for the other windows. They are the big sheets that go in ceiling tiles like in office buildings. They are $10 per sheet, and one of each is plenty.

The floor is one piece of super thick plywood. It's called something like kitchen cabinet grade cut to 29 3/4" x 30 1/2". It costs $30 per sheet, you only need one, and they will cut it for you. You can get 3 floors out of it, and still have leftovers. It's 1" thick and super flat. I stand on it at 185 pounds, with no problem at all.

The side beams are not totaly square. One is 1/4" shorter than the other. One board measures 3 1/2" wide, and the other 2 1/2" wide. They are 3/4" thick (these are all actual measurements, not what is written on the tag.)

The roof........ well that comes next :lol

Re: David Tennant Doctor Who Tardis 1/2 Scale Build (Photo's Added)

Added some photos to my first post after around $400 and 9 days of construction.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back