Star Trek TNG Combadges

drknotter

I recently had a go at creating my own combadge from TNG. These are by no means screen accurate, but what they lack in accuracy is made up in ease of construction, I think. I created outlines to be cut by laser cutter at Ponoko. I got it cut in bamboo, which is a little more expensive than getting it cut in acrylic, but I thought it might actually look nice with a wood finish.

I got enough printed for 10 copies, so I might paint some of the other ones. What do you guys think?

Also, I'm wondering how I should create a fastener. Should I attach some kind of pin on the back, or should I try sticking some magnets in the back to make it a little more authentic? Anyways, thanks for reading!

... Also, I'm wondering how I should create a fastener. Should I attach some kind of pin on the back, or should I try sticking some magnets in the back to make it a little more authentic? ...

If you want to be authentic, you should use velcro. But don't accuse ME, if you lose the badge when wearing. :lol

Here are pics of the original badge:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• star_trek_next_gen_1.jpg
    star_trek_next_gen_1.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 2,763
  • star_trek_next_gen_2.jpg
    star_trek_next_gen_2.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 1,681
You know, not 2 minutes after I posted this, I realized I glued it together the wrong way! :facepalm The pointer is totally facing the wrong way. Thanks for the screen used pictures though! I didn't actually know that they used velcro, but now that I think of it, I don't know why I thought it would be anything else. :)

Velcro, the magic fastener of the future, good for combadges, phasers, communicators, and anything else you can think of! :lol

God..I got several of those thingies all off originals....some from episodes I never even saw... as they Look different. I like how you made yours, you should make some of the other versions. Let me know if you need a pic.

That was my one gribe with TNG. They dumped the communicator.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back