Diegator's Grey Fox / Cyborg Ninja *COMPLETED*

Re: Diegator's Grey Fox / Cyborg Ninja WIP

That's looking pretty good. The lens looks really nice, better than what I've been using so far.

There seems to be a lot of Gray Fox builds recently. I had a difficult time finding previous builds when I was working on mine but with more people working on this costume the quality should really improve by leaps and bounds.

One question - does this fit on your head without cutting it apart? I couldn't do a test fit until I cut it apart because on mine I had the helmet extend further for the underside of the chin. I always like seeing other designs since the source material is such low resolution that invariably everyone has to do their own interpretation of certain parts.

Definitely subscribing to this.

Thanks! Actually your build is the one that made me start this one. I learned that pepakura existed because of you! Really an inspiration. Also omi gibson... But that one doesn't count :]

Yes, it has to be taken apart for fit, which I did when it was paper. I did one last fit check when it was on bondo layer 3, and probably breathed in more than my fair share of carcinogens and dust.

I think I just pooped! Awesome stuff here, My favorite game series of all time!

Thanks! Actually your build is the one that made me start this one. I learned that pepakura existed because of you! Really an inspiration. Also omi gibson... But that one doesn't count :]

Yes, it has to be taken apart for fit, which I did when it was paper. I did one last fit check when it was on bondo layer 3, and probably breathed in more than my fair share of carcinogens and dust.

Wow, that's pretty cool to know that I actually inspired other people to tackle this costume. And I totally agree that the Omi Gibson one doesn't count because it's basically studio made (I recall reading that her dad is in the movie industry or something).

I checked the fit for mine in the cardstock/Pepakura stage as well and it seemed like I had enough room but once it got thicker from the fiberglass (and the resin for the casted ones) the fit ends up being really tight on me. So just watch out for that pitfall. Mine's really snug to the point where I can only wear it for maybe 2-3 hours at a time at conventions before having to take a break.

Do you plan on lighting just the main sensor in the front or are you going to light up the other small ones as well? Also, what are your plans for the faceplate? I assume you'll end up making it removable?

Well, I glassed the outside, not the inside for that very reason. Depending on how tight the cast ends up being, I might cast it in fiberglass like volpin's Thomas helmet.
I was planning on only lighting up the main eye, since none of the reference material or renderings seem to indicate that other sensors do.
Yes, the faceplates will be removable, and I'm planning on making a pivoting mechanism to open them instead of magnets. If space allows, I'll make it move with some servos, which I'm hoping have enough power to make it happen. Otherwise I'll be happy to open it manually.
Also planning on making the forehead plate move up, and I realize that one will have to be manual

Very cool. I'm very interested in how you end up doing the opening mechanisms. The magnets are neat but it does leave a bit of a gap due to the weight of the pieces. That problem can probably be circumvented with rails/servos but I just didn't have time to figure out the mechanics of that.

quick update with primer:

photo%2520%25281%2529.JPG

I have a lot to do. Now the surface errors are more visible, so I'll be puttying this over the weekend.
photo.JPG

Another round of bondo and primer
IMG_3382.jpg

IMG_3397.jpg

I started to split the helmet, and its turned out to be a more violent/messy enterprise than I had expected. I'll have a lot of additional patching/sanding to do after the fact.

In the mean time, I need to get a new blade, as the one I'm using is too small in diameter.

Yeah splitting it apart and putting it back together is where the headaches will start coming.

Yeah, it doesn't look that good anymore. It's full of dings and scratches from my crummy cutting job. The cuts are straight though, so I'm happy about that at least. Still haven't been able to separate the pieces though, since the bondo is too thick for the blade in some places.

Yeah, it doesn't look that good anymore. It's full of dings and scratches from my crummy cutting job. The cuts are straight though, so I'm happy about that at least. Still haven't been able to separate the pieces though, since the bondo is too thick for the blade in some places.

In the hobby shops they sell little saw blades, i have one and works great, if not, i use the good ol dremel :)

I used the dremel with a tiny circular blade.
Here are some shots of the damage... er.... progress.
IMG_3417.JPG

IMG_3418.JPG

All the little white specs are dings about .5 mm deep. It shouldn't take long to patch up, but WAAAAAH!!! I thought I was done sanding :( :(
I think I'll be able to pull a first cast of the parts next weekend though.
Stay tuned!

Also, on a semi-related note... what do you think these should read?
I haven't found any resources detailing what these mysterious grey lines are supposed to say, except of course the tokugawa heavy industries logo on the forehead
texts.JPG

Made up answers count as well, so do your worst.

DSC01830.JPG

From the Macfarlane toy series.

But I think they took a little artistic licensing.

Looking good so far though!

Also, on a semi-related note... what do you think these should read?
I haven't found any resources detailing what these mysterious grey lines are supposed to say, except of course the tokugawa heavy industries logo on the forehead
texts.JPG

Made up answers count as well, so do your worst.

Here's Omi Gibson's Grey Fox. And she's a stickler for detail.

cosplay-no-more-heroes_f_011.jpg

Caution + random gibberish... I like it. pandamajik put the tokugawa logo on the back of the head as well, but I think it should be something like "caution: do not open access panel while head is in motion"

By the way, did you just join the RPF to reply to this? :)

I had that Macfarlane figure from when MGS came out and had a good laugh when I took macro shots of the text to find the gibberish. I think they got away with it because unless you have incredibly good vision, you need a magnifying lens or something to have any idea what it says. My suggestion would be to find warning/caution labels from heavy machinery and reproduce that.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back