My Mechanical Bone-Themed Crossbow.

whiteraven

So I want to build a really cool looking crossbow, but without using a tradition "bow". I want it to be powered by springs and levers and pulleys.

So I've been working on designs to make it functional, but also aesthetically pleasing. I like the old Goth Horror idea of using bones to build things, so I thought I would incorporate a bone theme to it as well.

So I started with this basic design.
short_10.jpg

Then I've been designing and redesigning parts until I get the "look" I want.

WhiteravenMechBow-1.jpg

CrossbowDrawing.jpg

So is it just the springs and pulleys that do the work? Are the cables and strings all rigid ie not elasticised? I'd love to make something like this but they are illegal where I live (without a licence anyway)

The string may have a little elasticity, but most of the power/force comes from the springs, through the swing arm and pulleys.

I am starting this thread a little late, as I have been working on this for about 2 weeks, but I thought I'd let my RPF friends know what I am up to,

I liked this trigger design.
CoolTrigger.jpg

(Sorry the lines are thin and the animation is hard to see.)

So I started on taking this design and adding a bit of a "skeleton clockwork" look to it.
reciev10.jpg

I busted out some balsa wood to sculpt the "tickler" style trigger.
100_1420.jpg

And some test pieces for the mechanism.
100_1426.jpg

Rigged up a test receiver group to try out the parts to the trigger.
100_1429.jpg

100_1427.jpg

Then I used a local hackerspace's laser cutter to cut some plexi for a prototype.

And made some visual updates on the trigger itself.

Found I needed some reinforcement in the mid section and added a bit more to it.

So trigger is ready to mold, replicate in wax, and get cast in metal now (it's still just mostly balsa wood and paper-clay.)

Next up was getting the end piece of the bow designed, and finally I came up with this.

And then sculpted a core out of regular craft foam (one sheet of 11" x 17" red and little white for accent.)
CrossbowEndPiece.jpg

I'm adding additional detailing and making it more anatomically correct with paper-clay.

It's slow going, it is like working with Spit-wads! But as I sculpt a little, let dry a while, sculpt a little, then dry... basically it is taking shape.

Ok, so I made several minor changes to the Receiver Group on my crossbow. Improvements on the geometry. So in the next few days I'll get another set laser cut and see if everything works perfect this time...

So I can send to the waterjet cutters!!

Ok, sorry for the wait, but I got some updates.

Updated the Bone swing arm prototype a bit more, making it fit better and look a little more steampunk.

Got my crossbow main backbone pieces back from my welder friend. They look great to me.

And here's how the swing arm will mount and pivot.

And this is what my work area looks like with 10 things going on at once!

Working on this project still. :lol

Started a mock up on a quiver for the bolts (arrows) built out of a soda box's cardboard.

Looked a little too boxy to me, so I hit the Dollar Store and got some supplies... Grabbed 2 aluminum spray bottles, a dog hair brush, some masking tape, and a pair of chicken scissors. All on my lunch-break at work. :lol

And after a long, NOT busy day I had this...

And after I put my crossbow bolts (arrows) in it kind of looks like this.

And yes, the crossbow bolts are hollow stainless steel CHOPSTICKS!!:love

Excellent!
I must admit I was starting to wonder if maybe you had abandoned this one.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the bow come together :thumbsup

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back