Matt Smith's fez (Big Bang)

I have recently uncovered an excellent match for Matt's infamous 6 minute fez. In the episode, you can clearly see that it lacks a tassel.
Instead, it has a bobble. I love that word...bobble.:$

http://images.wikia.com/tardis/images/3/3c/AmeliaInFez.jpg

And so, with the tassel eliminated...me and my friend Noodle assumed that it was removed. After conferring with a costume departmentee at the Official convention, I found that it was brought in from home. *****.:facepalm

After endless searching, I came across the needle in the haystack.
http://origin.kaboodle.com/hi/img/c/0/0/155/3/AAAADPSgPWQAAAAAAVU0-A.jpg?v=1305258806000
It's called a "WOOL FELT" fez, very common on ebay.

Another ace for the eleven cosplayers!:)

I found the exact fez in you're link as well. However I was searching for the fez from the museum in "The Day of the Doctor" The inside of the screen used fez is cardboard, while the outside is a very vivid red felt like material. Also notice the hat seems to have a thin stem or loop that has been crushed on the top. I measured the Fez in comparison to the doctors height from screen grabs. He stands about 5'11" so as long as that rings true the fez is about 4.45" tall and 6.4" across side to side at the top. The had made by Jhats is a maroon color, and has soft edges. The Jhat version also has vent holes in the top...... where it appears the fez in question does not. Despite all these details I am very happy with the Jhat fez that I bought, however once I build my museum fez enclosure prop (to spec) I will either track down the maker of the Doctor who fez........ or take a slash at hatting ;)

However in the screen grab you have the color seems right..... so the hat I am searching for is probably a different version.

Screen Shot 2014-04-27 at 2.59.37 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-04-27 at 2.59.08 PM.png The fez came to me as on the left...... I cut a small bit off the plug and made a single stream as seen on "The Day of the Doctor" it's a work in progress... and will be matched a lot better once I trim off part of the bottom of the fez as Fresh from the mill it is 6" tall which is about 1.5" too tall. I also intend to add cardboard to the inside and possibly using a piece of wood and steamer to make the edge a bit harder. As it stands the bevel on the material is not as sharp as the screen used one. as for the vent holes...... no clue on what to do yet ;)

Last edited:
vlcsnap-2016-02-13-04h17m56s361.pngvlcsnap-2016-02-13-04h11m12s305.pngvlcsnap-2016-02-13-04h13m13s969.png
Here are some grabs from the bluray if this helps anyone, let me know. Also trying to track down this specific fez

I'm by no means an expert here - but as I've been sourcing an Eleventh Doctor costume here in the UK and seen just about every fez ever out on sale.

I've come to the conclusion that the museum fez must be a hand-made job. I think it is suspiciously flower-pot shaped (minus the rim):

flower pot.jpg

Just a thought...

PS - here's a decent DIY video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTvpwTvpKQI

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back