Amazing Spiderman Suit using TaylorMcManus' print (Pic Heavy) (Suit Complete!)

jeffscpu

Hey Everyone,

I have been following bulids of ASM suits for the last couple of months now. I've picked up on a lot and decided to give it a go myself. I'm going to use this thread to document my progress.

I was on the first run for TaylorMcManus' prints. The print arrived about 2 weeks ago. I am overwhelmed with the quality. For those who are waiting on the second run, it's well worth it!

15035-print.jpg

I plan on using the puff-paint technique that MCL34N came up with to go over the dye sub honeycomb pattern. As well as Asics Dirt Dog 3 shoes for the soles.

Any suggestions anyone has along the way would be appreciated! It's my first time taking on a project this big. My goal is to have it completed by Halloween.

Thanks!

Jeff (aka jeffscpu)

Last edited:
Re: Amazing Spiderman Suit using TaylorMcManus' print (Pic Heavy)

All the best with your build man. I look forward to seeing progress.

All the best with your build man. I look forward to seeing progress.

Thanks! I'm very impressed with your work.

Just some quick pictures of my 'workstation' setup. I don't have a lot of space to work so I came up with a portable setup. I read on a post from MCL34N that he used some foam to pin down his suit while he was applying the puff paint. So I took a TV table, cut some florist foam to size, and strapped it to the top of the table. I covered it with a pillow case that I pinned down to the sides.

It works really well! The best part is, I can fold it up and set it aside when I'm not using it.

15036-table-pre.jpg

15037-table-post.jpg

15038-workarea.jpg

Puff Paint Test

One of the first things I wanted to try was a test of using the puff paint. After reading all the other threads, I was pretty nervous. I am using Tulip Slick - Deep Red puff paint.

I have to say. It was not that bad. I tested it on a small piece of 4-way stretch lycra I cut off the print.

I tried two methods:

• Using the stock tip that came on the Tulip puff paint. I traced over the 'YCRA' with that method.
  • Using a custom tip made out of masking tape. I traced over the 'FODL' and underlined it with that method.

Overall, I prefer the stock tip. If I press the tip against the fabric and provide a steady pressure squeezing the bottle and move pretty slow, I can get pretty straight and consistent lines. I tested to see if it 'cracked' after it dried, and it did not. It was actually far more flexible than I thought it would be.

On another note; I did an 'oops I made a mistake' test. Let's just say I hope I don't make one. The puff paint on lycra is not very forgiving, as you can see from the red stain on the picture below.

15041-puff-test.jpg

15040-puff-tip.jpg

Good luck man. I too have never tried anything like this before but have been following ASM suits for a couple of months as well and want to try it myself! I'll be following you eagerly. Genuinely excited for you!

I hope to follow in your footsteps and the great legends Red and MCL34N before me. I'm with you til the end, so like end of December haha

I've been waiting for someone to start a thread with Taylor's print on puff paint. I will be following you closely for my project when the time comes. This thread will be really helpful seein how we all just beginning at this. I can't wait and wish you well on the project my friend.

I ordered a print from Taylor also, I plan to follow your path!

Hey can you take a pic of the entire print please!!! Nobody's seen what the whole thing looks like please :)

Second that. :) And take lots of pics as you go it'll be a great help to all those waiting for prints. :thumbsup

Hey can you take a pic of the entire print please!!! Nobody's seen what the whole thing looks like please :)

Hehe, it's like a miniature piping bag on the nozzle, clever. Damn I'm having a hard time finding that paint here in Australia, grrr. Great stuff!

Is it possible for you to tell me roughly how long the mask template is from bottom to top? I worked out my pattern at 19", but would like a bit of affirmation.

In the threads about Mcl34n's prints, perhaps El Fett or Redtogusas builds, they discuss using alternative tips for the puff paint, such as syringes or these little metal tips that come with certain bottle applicators. Have you considered using something like that? They say they work much better than the standard bottles. The syringes seem like kind of a niche method, but those other bottles with the metal tips seem like a cheap and accessible solution.

I'll post links when I get to work, in case you haven't seen them. They're buried in some very long threads.

BTW, I will also be following your build closely. I'm excited to see how Taylor's print turns out.

So as promised, here's some links to where they discuss alternative tips for the application of the Puff paint.

http://www.therpf.com/f24/my-amazing-spiderman-build-pic-heavy-153063/ (starting at Post #13)

http://www.therpf.com/f24/mcl34ns-wip-amazing-spidey-costume-updated-6-a-140975/index25.html (Post #620 -- But that whole page really)

Also, you said that you're using Tulip Slick Deep Red (which apaprently is the same choice Mcl34n himself made), but some others are saying they just used Tulip Slick Red. Maybe they were just not being fully specific, but there was mention that the red came out pinkish at first, but dried darker. So I'm curious if there's a noticeable difference in the two shades of red when all is said and done. And, of course, if one looks better than the other.

Are you planning on doing the chest spider with just black puffy paint?

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back